Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > missing Auxiliary Power?

missing Auxiliary Power?

quantumburnz

Wow, so this is a completely new error message to me, I've never seen
anything like this before. I found it in my System event log. Is this
really telling me my power supply sucks?

Source: nv
Category: none
Event ID: 111
Silent Running: HW clock slowdown due to missing Auxiliary Power.

DP

You're not on a laptop, right?

"quantumburnz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wow, so this is a completely new error message to me, I've never seen
> anything like this before. I found it in my System event log. Is this
> really telling me my power supply sucks?
>
> Source: nv
> Category: none
> Event ID: 111
> Silent Running: HW clock slowdown due to missing Auxiliary Power.

quantumburnz

Nope, deffinately a desktop with a P4 630 (3.0 Ghz) and 1GB RAM with a 300W
ATX Allied Power Supply.

"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> You're not on a laptop, right?
>
> "quantumburnz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Wow, so this is a completely new error message to me, I've never seen
>> anything like this before. I found it in my System event log. Is this
>> really telling me my power supply sucks?
>>
>> Source: nv
>> Category: none
>> Event ID: 111
>> Silent Running: HW clock slowdown due to missing Auxiliary Power.

John Barnes

I have seen a similar warning when the video card (Nvidia) is slowed (I get
this occasionally when the temperature in the computer room is low and I use
a hair dryer thru one of the fan ports for about 1 manure to warm it up.
Works for me and avoids the message. The Auxiliary power cable is plugged
into the motherboard. I previously upgraded from a 430w ps to a 600w ps and
that made no difference.

"quantumburnz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wow, so this is a completely new error message to me, I've never seen
> anything like this before. I found it in my System event log. Is this
> really telling me my power supply sucks?
>
> Source: nv
> Category: none
> Event ID: 111
> Silent Running: HW clock slowdown due to missing Auxiliary Power.

John Barnes

Just to clarify, the SLI auxiliary video power cable is plugged in
(required, even though I don't have a second video card) and I warm it up
before I turn on the computer. Never have the message when it has been
warmed.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have seen a similar warning when the video card (Nvidia) is slowed (I get
>this occasionally when the temperature in the computer room is low and I
>use a hair dryer thru one of the fan ports for about 1 manure to warm it
>up. Works for me and avoids the message. The Auxiliary power cable is
>plugged into the motherboard. I previously upgraded from a 430w ps to a
>600w ps and that made no difference.
>

> "quantumburnz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Wow, so this is a completely new error message to me, I've never seen
>> anything like this before. I found it in my System event log. Is this
>> really telling me my power supply sucks?
>>
>> Source: nv
>> Category: none
>> Event ID: 111
>> Silent Running: HW clock slowdown due to missing Auxiliary Power.

Martin S.

Did you plug the power directly into the power connector on the video card,
if available?

"quantumburnz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wow, so this is a completely new error message to me, I've never seen
> anything like this before. I found it in my System event log. Is this
> really telling me my power supply sucks?
>
> Source: nv
> Category: none
> Event ID: 111
> Silent Running: HW clock slowdown due to missing Auxiliary Power.

quantumburnz

Haha, how funny. I'm looking at the video card right now and apparently I
forgot to plug the power to the video card back in, I've been working on
another computer and I switched out the video card. I guess I forgot to
plug it back in, thanks!

"Martin S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Did you plug the power directly into the power connector on the video
> card, if available?
>

> "quantumburnz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Wow, so this is a completely new error message to me, I've never seen
>> anything like this before. I found it in my System event log. Is this
>> really telling me my power supply sucks?
>>
>> Source: nv
>> Category: none
>> Event ID: 111
>> Silent Running: HW clock slowdown due to missing Auxiliary Power.

Martin S.

Glad it's working now!

"quantumburnz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Haha, how funny. I'm looking at the video card right now and apparently I
> forgot to plug the power to the video card back in, I've been working on
> another computer and I switched out the video card. I guess I forgot to
> plug it back in, thanks!
>
> "Martin S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Did you plug the power directly into the power connector on the video
>> card, if available?
>>

>> "quantumburnz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Wow, so this is a completely new error message to me, I've never seen
>>> anything like this before. I found it in my System event log. Is this
>>> really telling me my power supply sucks?
>>>
>>> Source: nv
>>> Category: none
>>> Event ID: 111
>>> Silent Running: HW clock slowdown due to missing Auxiliary Power.

Tony Sperling

Wow! That's a new one, never yet heard of warming up the internals. Must try
that once, I get those messages too once in a while, mostly (not always)
when booting in the morning. Always thought I'd too many devices plugged in
from one outlet. Just today I put the PC's power cord in it's own outlet!

Thanks for the note about the PSU, that may save me an upgrade.

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just to clarify, the SLI auxiliary video power cable is plugged in
> (required, even though I don't have a second video card) and I warm it up
> before I turn on the computer. Never have the message when it has been
> warmed.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have seen a similar warning when the video card (Nvidia) is slowed (I

get
> >this occasionally when the temperature in the computer room is low and I
> >use a hair dryer thru one of the fan ports for about 1 manure to warm it
> >up. Works for me and avoids the message. The Auxiliary power cable is
> >plugged into the motherboard. I previously upgraded from a 430w ps to a
> >600w ps and that made no difference.
> >

> > "quantumburnz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Wow, so this is a completely new error message to me, I've never seen
> >> anything like this before. I found it in my System event log. Is this
> >> really telling me my power supply sucks?
> >>
> >> Source: nv
> >> Category: none
> >> Event ID: 111
> >> Silent Running: HW clock slowdown due to missing Auxiliary Power.

John Barnes

That is when I have to warm mine. The case fan opening is across from the
video
card and mobo, so I am not sure which needs to be warmed. Both ps were
quality >$125 power supplies and didn't make a difference.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...