Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > A8n32-sli deluxe possibly the problem?

A8n32-sli deluxe possibly the problem?

=?Utf-8?B?YiBkdWI=?=

The problem is, one, my xp proffessional copy won't install, because its
pre-servicepack 1 or 2, pretty much the first cd outa the factory. I
couldn't get windows to update, or install dx9 or my nvidia drivers or my
asus drivers, i basically couldn't get my copy to install, so i got this
trial, and probly am gonna purchase it(i was ignorant and didn't no that you
could run both 64 and 32 bit, i thought it was solely 64 bit(none of my
games!!!))

the deal is, both my mouse and keyboard are usb driven, not ps2. After
restarting, or shutting down, crashing, no matter how i restart my computer,
when windows reloads, the: Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller. always
comes up with an error, disabling my usb devices. so i had to kipe my
roomates ps2 mouse and swap(major degrade from my razer diamondback le to a
MI micro innovations mouse...) to get around in windows with some sort of
input device. to get them to work, i uninstall the standard openhcd usb host
controller, then on usb controllers i tell it to scan for new hardware, and
it finds and gets everything up and running correctly. the usb ports work at
the bootup screen from bios all the way up until about 2 seconds from leaving
the "Windows xp x64 edition" blue scrolling bar screen. then the num-lock
key turns off and no more keyboard. Going to a ps2 keyboard is not an
option, as i have a logitech g15 keyboard(i spent way to much on my usb input
devices to have to deal with this shizen) I have all updates from logitech,
windows, and I just went to asus and there usa download site is down
temporarily, but i no i have the latest bios and i'm sure that there arn't
any updates there. so i am just clueless, is there someway to lock the
device manager out from resetting?

thanks in advance
--
You are only who you are when no one else is looking.

Martin S.

Does your motherboard have the latest bios?

"b dub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The problem is, one, my xp proffessional copy won't install, because its
> pre-servicepack 1 or 2, pretty much the first cd outa the factory. I
> couldn't get windows to update, or install dx9 or my nvidia drivers or my
> asus drivers, i basically couldn't get my copy to install, so i got this
> trial, and probly am gonna purchase it(i was ignorant and didn't no that
> you
> could run both 64 and 32 bit, i thought it was solely 64 bit(none of my
> games!!!))
>
> the deal is, both my mouse and keyboard are usb driven, not ps2. After
> restarting, or shutting down, crashing, no matter how i restart my
> computer,
> when windows reloads, the: Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller. always
> comes up with an error, disabling my usb devices. so i had to kipe my
> roomates ps2 mouse and swap(major degrade from my razer diamondback le to
> MI micro innovations mouse...) to get around in windows with some sort of
> input device. to get them to work, i uninstall the standard openhcd usb
> host
> controller, then on usb controllers i tell it to scan for new hardware,
> and
> it finds and gets everything up and running correctly. the usb ports work
> at
> the bootup screen from bios all the way up until about 2 seconds from
> leaving
> the "Windows xp x64 edition" blue scrolling bar screen. then the num-lock
> key turns off and no more keyboard. Going to a ps2 keyboard is not an
> option, as i have a logitech g15 keyboard(i spent way to much on my usb
> input
> devices to have to deal with this shizen) I have all updates from
> logitech,
> windows, and I just went to asus and there usa download site is down
> temporarily, but i no i have the latest bios and i'm sure that there arn't
> any updates there. so i am just clueless, is there someway to lock the
> device manager out from resetting?
>
> thanks in advance
> --
> You are only who you are when no one else is looking.

=?Utf-8?B?YiBkdWI=?=

yes, I have updated it as well, the very latest bios
--

"Martin S." wrote:

> Does your motherboard have the latest bios?
>

> "b dub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The problem is, one, my xp proffessional copy won't install, because its
> > pre-servicepack 1 or 2, pretty much the first cd outa the factory. I
> > couldn't get windows to update, or install dx9 or my nvidia drivers or my
> > asus drivers, i basically couldn't get my copy to install, so i got this
> > trial, and probly am gonna purchase it(i was ignorant and didn't no that
> > you
> > could run both 64 and 32 bit, i thought it was solely 64 bit(none of my
> > games!!!))
> >
> > the deal is, both my mouse and keyboard are usb driven, not ps2. After
> > restarting, or shutting down, crashing, no matter how i restart my
> > computer,
> > when windows reloads, the: Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller. always
> > comes up with an error, disabling my usb devices. so i had to kipe my
> > roomates ps2 mouse and swap(major degrade from my razer diamondback le to
> > MI micro innovations mouse...) to get around in windows with some sort of
> > input device. to get them to work, i uninstall the standard openhcd usb
> > host
> > controller, then on usb controllers i tell it to scan for new hardware,
> > and
> > it finds and gets everything up and running correctly. the usb ports work
> > at
> > the bootup screen from bios all the way up until about 2 seconds from
> > leaving
> > the "Windows xp x64 edition" blue scrolling bar screen. then the num-lock
> > key turns off and no more keyboard. Going to a ps2 keyboard is not an
> > option, as i have a logitech g15 keyboard(i spent way to much on my usb
> > input
> > devices to have to deal with this shizen) I have all updates from
> > logitech,
> > windows, and I just went to asus and there usa download site is down
> > temporarily, but i no i have the latest bios and i'm sure that there arn't
> > any updates there. so i am just clueless, is there someway to lock the
> > device manager out from resetting?
> >
> > thanks in advance
> > --
> > You are only who you are when no one else is looking.

Tony Sperling

Tell me, what version is this? Is it one of the Beta's, then you may be out
of luck unless you can borrow non-USB stuff. It is not the SP's - they are
included. The Beta's will not update, your update is the next Beta! Count
yourself lucky, you have saved yourself a whole lot of trouble that some of
the rest of us have had to see through a year ago, scrap any Beta versions
and go download the trial. ( I think it is still on-line? ) With the trial
you can make updates, it is in every bit the same as the shipping version,
except for the time-bomb. The USB issue is well known. I was not subjected
to it myself. You may, however, need to get yourself an alternative strategy
for that one.

Tony. . .

( By the way - I am collecting good quotes, yours IS good, and it is one of
nature's laws; Quantum Physics!)

"b dub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The problem is, one, my xp proffessional copy won't install, because its
> pre-servicepack 1 or 2, pretty much the first cd outa the factory. I
> couldn't get windows to update, or install dx9 or my nvidia drivers or my
> asus drivers, i basically couldn't get my copy to install, so i got this
> trial, and probly am gonna purchase it(i was ignorant and didn't no that

you
> could run both 64 and 32 bit, i thought it was solely 64 bit(none of my
> games!!!))
>
> the deal is, both my mouse and keyboard are usb driven, not ps2. After
> restarting, or shutting down, crashing, no matter how i restart my

computer,
> when windows reloads, the: Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller. always
> comes up with an error, disabling my usb devices. so i had to kipe my
> roomates ps2 mouse and swap(major degrade from my razer diamondback le to

> MI micro innovations mouse...) to get around in windows with some sort of
> input device. to get them to work, i uninstall the standard openhcd usb

host
> controller, then on usb controllers i tell it to scan for new hardware,

and
> it finds and gets everything up and running correctly. the usb ports work

at
> the bootup screen from bios all the way up until about 2 seconds from

leaving
> the "Windows xp x64 edition" blue scrolling bar screen. then the num-lock
> key turns off and no more keyboard. Going to a ps2 keyboard is not an
> option, as i have a logitech g15 keyboard(i spent way to much on my usb

input
> devices to have to deal with this shizen) I have all updates from

logitech,
> windows, and I just went to asus and there usa download site is down
> temporarily, but i no i have the latest bios and i'm sure that there arn't
> any updates there. so i am just clueless, is there someway to lock the
> device manager out from resetting?
>
> thanks in advance
> --
> You are only who you are when no one else is looking.

=?Utf-8?B?YiBkdWI=?=

First off, thx, i like my quote too, Secondly, I downloaded the
trial(timebomb, which idk what i did, but the timer doesn't come up anymore,
from 12 days left now its to like 4) but anyways, its the trial, i've gotten
updates for it.
in My Computer/Properties, it reads Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64
Edition Version 2003 Service Pack 1. I checked asus download center, and i
updated everything, went to nvidia, got the latest chipset drivers, and the
video card(to make sure and rule out everything i could think of) I unplugged
the 2 usb ports on my case, unplugged everything usb connecting to the rear,
nothing, it still resets it. the real problem, other than i have to
reinstall it(only takes about 30 seconds) is that windows takes about 2-5
minutes to boot up everytime. if i dont uninstall and reinstall it takes
about 25 seconds for a complete load, interactive and all. sorry for the
long post, thx for reading it and another thx for any advice.
--

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> [...]

> at
> > the bootup screen from bios all the way up until about 2 seconds from

> leaving
> > the "Windows xp x64 edition" blue scrolling bar screen. then the num-lock
> > key turns off and no more keyboard. Going to a ps2 keyboard is not an
> > option, as i have a logitech g15 keyboard(i spent way to much on my usb

> input
> > devices to have to deal with this shizen) I have all updates from

> logitech,
> > windows, and I just went to asus and there usa download site is down
> > temporarily, but i no i have the latest bios and i'm sure that there arn't
> > any updates there. so i am just clueless, is there someway to lock the
> > device manager out from resetting?
> >
> > thanks in advance
> > --
> > You are only who you are when no one else is looking.

A couple of things, make sure you have the x64 version of the motherboard
drivers, also make sure the keyboard and mouse is plugged directly into the
motherboard USB ports NOT the case USB ports that connected via the headers
on the motherboard.

> [...]

>> leaving
>> > the "Windows xp x64 edition" blue scrolling bar screen. then the
>> > num-lock
>> > key turns off and no more keyboard. Going to a ps2 keyboard is not an
>> > option, as i have a logitech g15 keyboard(i spent way to much on my usb

>> input
>> > devices to have to deal with this shizen) I have all updates from

>> logitech,
>> > windows, and I just went to asus and there usa download site is down
>> > temporarily, but i no i have the latest bios and i'm sure that there
>> > arn't
>> > any updates there. so i am just clueless, is there someway to lock the
>> > device manager out from resetting?
>> >
>> > thanks in advance
>> > --
>> > You are only who you are when no one else is looking.

yeah, i got the x64 version of every piece of software that has that version
that i use, ie vga driver chipset, audio. and i have unplugged the usb ports
that are connected to my case, nothing but the 4 usb ports onthe motherboard,
even with both unplugged. it still happens. It seems that my x64 trial has
become an authentic install also, theres no button on the startmenu to:
activate now. i just got a free copy of xp x64 from microsoft themselves.
--

"Martin S." wrote:

> [...]
> >> of
> >> the rest of us have had to see through a year ago, scrap any Beta
> >> versions
> >> and go download the trial. ( I think it is still on-line? ) With the
> >> trial
> >> you can make updates, it is in every bit the same as the shipping
> >> version,
> >> except for the time-bomb. The USB issue is well known. I was not
> >> subjected
> >> to it myself. You may, however, need to get yourself an alternative
> >> strategy
> >> for that one.
> >>

> >> Tony. . .
> >>
> >> ( By the way - I am collecting good quotes, yours IS good, and it is one
> >> of
> >> nature's laws; Quantum Physics!)
> >>

> >> "b dub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Yes, the trial is o.k. - I just returned home, so need to wrap my head
around the issue, but I think you should check your BIOS settings for USB.
One of these options in some BIOS's is concerning 'Legacy USB' or
something - it should be disabled.

I'll be back!

"There is no Truth, no Reality, and no Consistency! And most likely I am
totally wrong as well." (Anonymous)

Tony. . .

> [...]

> > > the "Windows xp x64 edition" blue scrolling bar screen. then the

num-lock
> > > key turns off and no more keyboard. Going to a ps2 keyboard is not an
> > > option, as i have a logitech g15 keyboard(i spent way to much on my

usb
> > input
> > > devices to have to deal with this shizen) I have all updates from

> > logitech,
> > > windows, and I just went to asus and there usa download site is down
> > > temporarily, but i no i have the latest bios and i'm sure that there

arn't
> > > any updates there. so i am just clueless, is there someway to lock

the
> > > device manager out from resetting?
> > >
> > > thanks in advance
> > > --
> > > You are only who you are when no one else is looking.

I really do think you'll be saving yourself a lot of headache if you find a
PS/2 Keyboard. What you are seing is an effect of the machine booting from
your BIOS, so it sees the USB but the installation cannot see it that way.
If you refuse, your best alternative would probably be an 'Unattended
Install'. I've used nLite myself to burn a ISO from my installation disc,
but the trouble is, you'll need an installed system to to do it.

There are other methods, I think - google for the term and you'll hit on
most of them.

Regards, Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...