Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Cnet on 64-bit

Cnet on 64-bit

DP

I haven't read through all of this yet, but I thought this group my be
interested....

http://news.com.com/Who+wants+or+nee...ht&tag=nl.e703

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Was just gonna post it. I also posted it to my blog, here are my general
thoughts:
I have been running Windows XP Professional x64 since April of 2005, and I
have to say I am very pleased with the operating system and responsiveness
of my system. The benefits are not realized from 64-bit computing itself
since I am running a system consist of basic desktop applications such
Office, Photoshop and Nero which I use everyday, none of these applications
are 64-bit native, but they run just fine.

The system was not purchased as a future proof move, thinking that it would
run Windows Vista at full speed when its released, it was purchased
primarily for enthusiasm and I needed a new home system and I am pleased
with it. Its doing what I need and I enjoy using it everyday when I come
home from work. Obtaining Windows XP Professional x64 was not difficult at
all. I had my OEM copy purchased from http://www.directron.com

You can purchase the trial from the following online vendors also.
http://www.planetamd64.com/catalog
http://www.ncix.com
http://www.newegg.com
http://www.zipzoomfly.com

Hopefully though, the next major release of Windows, Vista will bring 64-bit
computing mainstream. I believe it will, since Vista will include
technologies that were not available Windows XP Professional x64 such as
Media Center and Tablet PC which are beginning to take off. So, I expect to
see more innovation from the hardware industry with desktops and mobile PCs
that can do it all. All I can say really, there is exciting stuff coming in
the 2007 to 2008 period. XP Professional x64 was just a start and does have
its benefits for targetted environments.

Windows XP Professional x64 is definitely not an operating system for the
average Windows user who is doing basic stuff such as browsing the net or
sending e-mails and writing one page documents in Word. But it is likely
that by the end of this year, any PC purchased will be 64 bit enabled, which
does not necessarily mean you are ready for a 64 bit OS. But it does give
the user a sense of comfort knowing the capability is there ready to be
taken advantage of by a largely supported 64-bit OS.

The true beneficiaries are the technical ones in the technical environments
who require the massive amounts of power this platform provides. Within the
next 2 to 3 years 64 bit computing supported hardware and software should be
more available than it is today and users will better take advantage of it
with the appropriate applications written for the consumer market, so far
that is not available.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I haven't read through all of this yet, but I thought this group my be
>interested....
>
> http://news.com.com/Who+wants+or+nee...ht&tag=nl.e703

DP

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> The system was not purchased as a future proof move, thinking that it
> would run Windows Vista at full speed when its released, it was purchased
> primarily for enthusiasm and I needed a new home system and I am pleased
> with it.

Like you, I had to replace a computer and already had another one with an
AMD64 cpu that was running 32-bit XP.
So on my new system, which is dual-core AMD64, I decided to try out XP X64,
like you not for any reasons of need but just to see what it would do.
I'm disappointed there aren't more drivers out there, but as for the OS
itself, I have no stability issues whatsoever.

>Its doing what I need and I enjoy using it everyday when I come home from
>work. Obtaining Windows XP Professional x64 was not difficult at all. I had
>my OEM copy purchased from http://www.directron.com

I had no problem either. My vendor installed it when he built the computer
(and yes, I have the CDs).

Tony Sperling

I agree more or less completely, Andre - except, I haven't seen Vista yet.
The other day, however, I came across a new acronym: (New to me, that is!)
XGL apparently is the next buzzword on Linux. After some superficial
investigations I saw one comment about how the concept - i.e. that graphics
chip manufacturers will dump the small section of the chip that governs 2D
processing in the near future, since there is nothing that stops the 3D
engine to take over processing 2D information, and at a great boost in
speed! Thus, already the graphic API's are expected to have much more 3D
elements and transparency and stuff, than presently, and it was said that
the technology will pop up in Vista as well, with MS developing their own
technology - which sounds logical.

So, one question: Have you seen anything of this order in your Vista, or
even heard of any of it yet?

I hit upon a couple of demo's, and I have to say it is not devoid of that
good old 'wow potential'.

Greetings, Tony. . .

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> taken advantage of by a largely supported 64-bit OS.
>
> The true beneficiaries are the technical ones in the technical

environments
> who require the massive amounts of power this platform provides. Within

the
> next 2 to 3 years 64 bit computing supported hardware and software should

be
> more available than it is today and users will better take advantage of it
> with the appropriate applications written for the consumer market, so far
> that is not available.
> Andre
> Windows Connect | http://www.windowsconnected.com
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>

> "DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I haven't read through all of this yet, but I thought this group my be

Barb Bowman

the analyst, Cherry, must be a moron and not know how to use Google.
He would have easily found the Ferrari 4006 which comes pre-installed
with x64.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Charlie Russel - MVP

As did the 4005, in Europe, if you wanted it.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Barb Bowman wrote:
> the analyst, Cherry, must be a moron and not know how to use Google.
> He would have easily found the Ferrari 4006 which comes pre-installed
> with x64.
>
> On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 09:44:23 -0600, "DP" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> I haven't read through all of this yet, but I thought this group my be
>> interested....
>>
>> http://news.com.com/Who+wants+or+nee...ht&tag=nl.e703

Andy

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> You can purchase the trial from the following online vendors also.

Hey, Andre!
Are you sure these vendors selling a TRIAL, not full version?
Trial I could download for free from microsoft.com and I did so. And now I'm
thinking about buying FULL x64. But your words are disappoint me.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Well, with Vista, I know that the Windows Team is channeling all the
graphics rendering to the GPU (that is if your video card can handle it), if
not you will get a lower graphics tier similar to Windows XP. In the case of
XGL, the equivalent would be Windows Presentation Foundation which
represents a significant evolution of presentation technology, with the goal
of allowing developers to easily build rich and compelling user interfaces
that seamlessly integrate high-quality document and multimedia content.

"The presentation technologies in Vista allows developers to deliver an
exciting and compelling user experience by providing a full set of the
pre-packaged UI components, multimedia support, and smooth integration of
applications into the user interface. WPF is designed to take advantage of
the capabilities of specific hardware components, so that all applications
use the power of the Graphics-Processing Unit, rendering high quality, next
generation user interfaces.

WPF is exposed mainly through managed code; so for the developer the
architecture itself allows you to customize API (Application Programming
Interface) controls through inheritance. This allows you to maintain control
of appearance and input functionality without rewriting code; for example,
the keyboard is simply available without the developer having to program any
part of its infrastructure. For Layout and Localization, Avalon allows you
to resize the layout to accommodate localized content. New styles also allow
you to give your applications a consistent look and feel."

Existing Win32 based applications should continue to work normally in
Longhorn; but they will not be able to take advantage of the new features
without some degree of adaptation to the new programming model.

Here are some scenarios where a Developer utilizing Avalon can enhance an
existing Win32 based application, these include:

a.. Using the "WPF" user interface (UI) for dialog boxes of wizards.
b.. Hosting the WPF UI as a child of a Win32 window.
c.. Redesigning the appearance of existing applications so that they
resemble the WPF UI.
d.. Hosting a Win32 window as an element in the WPF UI.
e.. Hosting an ActiveX control as an WPF element.
f.. Replacing Win32 menus and toolbars with their WPF equivalents.
g.. Integrating WPF command with Win32 commands.
h.. Using drag-and-drop across WPF and Win32.

Finally, WPF graphics-rendering layer contributes new drawing and animation
features to Longhorn. These features were previously provided by using
specialized libraries, specifically the Windows Graphics Device Interface
(GDI) and Windows GDI+. To accommodate developers working with existing
unmanaged applications, Avalon's Visual API provides limited
interoperability between the Avalon Graphics System and GDI-based rendering
services.

Excerpts adapted from Developer's Guid to Intereoperability and Migration in
Longhorn version 1.0 emerging practices/guidance for early
implementers/patterns and practices.

So XGL is more of trying to be technology I say, while Microsoft is
providing a platform for developers to use and implement existing
development knowledge and strategies and tools which makes Windows Vista a
more compelling choice over competitive open source solutions.
> [...]

> environments
>> who require the massive amounts of power this platform provides. Within

> the
>> next 2 to 3 years 64 bit computing supported hardware and software should

> be
>> more available than it is today and users will better take advantage of
>> it
>> with the appropriate applications written for the consumer market, so far
>> that is not available.
>> --
>> --
>> Andre
>> Windows Connect | http://www.windowsconnected.com
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>

>> "DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I haven't read through all of this yet, but I thought this group my be

I think it's safe to say that Andre mis-typed on that one.

They're selling the OEM / System Builder version.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Andy wrote:
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> You can purchase the trial from the following online vendors also.

> Hey, Andre!
> Are you sure these vendors selling a TRIAL, not full version?
> Trial I could download for free from microsoft.com and I did so. And now
> I'm thinking about buying FULL x64. But your words are disappoint me.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Thats a grammatical error, I apologise, I meant the Full OEM version.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...