Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Computer locks up whilst web browsing

Computer locks up whilst web browsing

Randy

Or simply DNS or other ISP problems (i.e., authentication server); I've
noticed mine (MSN) having sporadic problems lately, and certain websites
themselves have problems from time to time, espcially while upgrading their
wares... Oh, and I've noticed my anonymizer relay itself craps out
occasionally, not sure why. So many ways the web can be slowed down...

"Dominic Payer" <dominic@dc_payer.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have always used Firefox as my default browser and had no problems.
>
> A problem like this could be down to defective hardware.
> Running memtest to check for faulty memory would be my first action.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > hmm, strange, never thought that setting FireFox as the default browser
> > would have such a negative impact. I learnt something. Thank "You"
> > --
> > --
> > Andre
> > Windows Connect | http://www.windowsconnected.com
> >
> > "Jane Colman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Well it seems that 64 bit XP does not like Firefox being set as default
> >> browser!
> >>
> >> Out of curiosity, I switched back to using IE as default, and since

then
> >> I have had no problems using either. I open Firefox from the Quick
> >> Launch bar and it behaves quite normally. No more locking up the pc.
> >> Favorites opens IE, no problems there.
> >>
> >> So far, so good. If the problem recurs I will try the uninstall of

Zone
> >> Alarm next
> >>
> >> Thanks for your help Andre

Jane Colman

Well, I was wrong about it being Firefox as default that was the
problem....after several hours of faultless performance, I switched off the
pc over night, and upon reboot in the morning the gremlins were back. After
poring over all suggestions and thinking myself that a browser per se could
not possibly be responsible for locking up the entire pc forcing a reboot, I
tried Andre's suggestion of removing Zone Alarm. That seems to have done
the trick.

Something in Zone Alarm must have been acting in an inappropriate manner for
it to lock up webpages, then browser, then the whole pc. I have had no
problems at all since removing it.

And Firefox is now back as my default browser

Now if only ATI would make their Catalyst Control Centre for 64 bit windows
actually work properly..........

Charlie Russel - MVP

This version of ZoneAlarm is definitely beta quality. The built in firewall
in XP x64 Edition is really quite good, and at this point, I'd suggest it is
a better alternative for most people.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64