Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Keyboard mishandling seems to be unfixable

Keyboard mishandling seems to be unfixable

Norman Diamond

I installed the English language version of Windows XP x64 from MSDN. Now,
MSDN includes some English language software, it doesn't include a US
keyboard. Actual keyboard layouts are still those of actual keyboards
bought and used in the countries where they're located.

English-language Windows XP x64 correctly allowed me to update the device
driver for the keyboard so that Windows XP x64 knows it's a Japanese
keyboard not a US keyboard. I did reboot as required around 2 weeks ago,
and rebooted several more times after that because Windows XP x64 provides
such a friendly user experience of not allowing hibernation. Device Manager
does remember what I told it.

English-language Windows XP x64 correctly allowed me to set the input
language in Control Panel - Regional Options. This didn't require a reboot
around 2 weeks ago, but I rebooted several times after that anyway because
Windows XP x64 provides such a friendly user experience of not allowing
hibernation. Control Panel - Regional Options does remember what I told it.

Yet Windows XP x64 still insists on reading the + key as :, the : key as ',
the * key as ", the @ key as something I've forgotten, the _ key as nothing
at all, etc.

What does it take to persuade Windows XP x64 that I don't have a US
keyboard?

Screenshot of settings:
http://www.geocities.jp/hitotsubishi...d-settings.png

Norman Diamond

Solved by changing the keyboard driver from the correct driver to an
incorrect driver, changing it back to the correct driver, and rebooting.

"Norman Diamond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I installed the English language version of Windows XP x64 from MSDN. Now,
>MSDN includes some English language software, it doesn't include a US
>keyboard. Actual keyboard layouts are still those of actual keyboards
>bought and used in the countries where they're located.
>
> English-language Windows XP x64 correctly allowed me to update the device
> driver for the keyboard so that Windows XP x64 knows it's a Japanese
> keyboard not a US keyboard. I did reboot as required around 2 weeks ago,
> and rebooted several more times after that because Windows XP x64 provides
> such a friendly user experience of not allowing hibernation. Device
> Manager does remember what I told it.
>
> English-language Windows XP x64 correctly allowed me to set the input
> language in Control Panel - Regional Options. This didn't require a
> reboot around 2 weeks ago, but I rebooted several times after that anyway
> because Windows XP x64 provides such a friendly user experience of not
> allowing hibernation. Control Panel - Regional Options does remember what
> I told it.
>
> Yet Windows XP x64 still insists on reading the + key as :, the : key as
> ', the * key as ", the @ key as something I've forgotten, the _ key as
> nothing at all, etc.
>
> What does it take to persuade Windows XP x64 that I don't have a US
> keyboard?
>
> Screenshot of settings:
> http://www.geocities.jp/hitotsubishi...d-settings.png

PyExcelerator - mishandling of formulas? Marco Aschwanden Python 2 11-17-2005 04:11 PM
The Adolescent RebelliHOWES Stage - FACT, FICTION, MYTH Or The PREDICTABLE RESULT OF MISHANDLING? I Am Digital Photography 2 02-15-2005 07:08 PM
Unfixable Tomcat Error ! prashant Java 1 04-27-2004 05:09 AM
Re: LAST TRY - Microsoft MVPs...it this an unfixable BUG??? Todd Thompson ASP .Net 1 06-27-2003 05:18 PM
Re: LAST TRY - Microsoft MVPs...it this an unfixable BUG??? Colin Young ASP .Net 1 06-27-2003 02:08 PM

Advertisments