Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > GPMC - Group Policy won't install on Athlon x64??

GPMC - Group Policy won't install on Athlon x64??

=?Utf-8?B?WWUgT2xkZSBCdXp6YXJk?=

Attempts to install the Group Policy Managment Console fail as .NET Framework
is not installed... I "only" have .NET Framework 2.0 x64 installed!

Attempts to run the group policy editor from Active Directory Users and
Computers fail with gpedit.msc not found - but it runs correctly from its
location in \Windows\System32 (just only in local system mode - but I need AD
policies).

These problems have been consistent with both XP Pro and 2003 Server
operating system installations on my Athlon x64 hardware.

Ron

Rick

Since the documentation is dated 2003, I think you must have .Net 1.1
installed. You can have both installed and programs will utilize the
version they are written to use.

Ye Olde Buzzard wrote:
> Attempts to install the Group Policy Managment Console fail as .NET Framework
> is not installed... I "only" have .NET Framework 2.0 x64 installed!
>
> Attempts to run the group policy editor from Active Directory Users and
> Computers fail with gpedit.msc not found - but it runs correctly from its
> location in \Windows\System32 (just only in local system mode - but I need AD
> policies).
>
> These problems have been consistent with both XP Pro and 2003 Server
> operating system installations on my Athlon x64 hardware.
>
> Ron

=?Utf-8?B?WWUgT2xkZSBCdXp6YXJk?=

FIXED IT!!!

Never thought of putting "both" in... This has bugged me for months now.

THANKS,
Ron

"Rick" wrote:

> Since the documentation is dated 2003, I think you must have .Net 1.1
> installed. You can have both installed and programs will utilize the
> version they are written to use.
>

> Ye Olde Buzzard wrote:
> > Attempts to install the Group Policy Managment Console fail as .NET Framework
> > is not installed... I "only" have .NET Framework 2.0 x64 installed!
> >
> > Attempts to run the group policy editor from Active Directory Users and
> > Computers fail with gpedit.msc not found - but it runs correctly from its
> > location in \Windows\System32 (just only in local system mode - but I need AD
> > policies).
> >
> > These problems have been consistent with both XP Pro and 2003 Server
> > operating system installations on my Athlon x64 hardware.
> >
> > Ron

=?Utf-8?B?WWUgT2xkZSBCdXp6YXJk?=

Close anyway!! -- The GPMC console appears now and displays proper
information - but when I try to actually 'edit' an entry it still returns
"gpedit.msc not found". gpedit.msc is located in the usual
<\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32> directory and runs when called from a command line, but
that is only the "local' version - not the AD group policy I need to edit.
The x86 boxes I created the AD policy I'm trying to change worked correctly.

Any further ideas???

Thanks,
Ron