Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > slow game performance

slow game performance

Docco

I've installed Windows XP x64 Edition and it works well, the problem
begins when playing games; the performance (FPS etc) is much lower in
most of the games.
I have Geforce 7800 GTX with the latest 64bit driver installed
(currenly 83.62 on the post date)
The FPS in Prince of Persia T2T & Call Of Duty 2 (just for example) is
less than half compared to the results when I use my regular XP32
system.

Is this a known issue? any suggested solutions (as I prefer to stick to
the x64 and avoid rebooting into x32 in order to play)

Thanks!

Juergen Kluth

Hi,
is there any energysaving option on ? Cool & Quiet / intel speedstep ??? or
any else
Or may be by processordriver the speed of your cpu is dynamic adjustet to
slower speed (if cpu has NO LOAD)
an the load is not detected when playing games.

I had a similar effect when using a usb tv stick : I had to set my cpu's
performance manually to highspeed.
on my amd system ->desktop->properties->Screensaver->Energy.........

regards jk

=?Utf-8?B?U2Vhd29sZg==?=

Check to make sure your AGP driver is installed right, assuming it's AGP
anyway. I just helped a guy with that problem this week sometime.

"Docco" wrote:

> I've installed Windows XP x64 Edition and it works well, the problem
> begins when playing games; the performance (FPS etc) is much lower in
> most of the games.
> I have Geforce 7800 GTX with the latest 64bit driver installed
> (currenly 83.62 on the post date)
> The FPS in Prince of Persia T2T & Call Of Duty 2 (just for example) is
> less than half compared to the results when I use my regular XP32
> system.
>
> Is this a known issue? any suggested solutions (as I prefer to stick to
> the x64 and avoid rebooting into x32 in order to play)
>
> Thanks!

Docco

There's no special Energy saving setting, everything should be at max
speed.
I guess that it has something to do with either the video and/or sound
drivers that still do not have high performance on x64
Even though I use the latest NVidia x64 drivers. Even video playback is
significantly slower (very noticeable on HDTV playback)

Rick

Start with a description of your hardware configuration and how you have
it setup. The little bit of information you provide is not much to go
on. Do you have a dual core CPU?

Docco wrote:
> I've installed Windows XP x64 Edition and it works well, the problem
> begins when playing games; the performance (FPS etc) is much lower in
> most of the games.
> I have Geforce 7800 GTX with the latest 64bit driver installed
> (currenly 83.62 on the post date)
> The FPS in Prince of Persia T2T & Call Of Duty 2 (just for example) is
> less than half compared to the results when I use my regular XP32
> system.
>
> Is this a known issue? any suggested solutions (as I prefer to stick to
> the x64 and avoid rebooting into x32 in order to play)
>
> Thanks!

Docco

Just to close this thread - it was the soundcard's fault (some crappy
onboard card with probably no hardware acceleration at all...)
The minute I've installed my Audigy with the lastest drivers everything
started to work smooth...