Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > running Windows XP on Dell PowerEdge 1850

running Windows XP on Dell PowerEdge 1850

lu

Because of space constraints, we would like to use a Dell PowerEdge
1850. Dell has disclaimed any support of Windows XP on this PowerEdge,
but we would like to load Windows XP. Has anyone had experience with
installing Windows XP (Pro) on the Dell PowerEdge 1850?
Thanks!
LuAnn

Rick

Do you mean Windows XP x64? If so, according to the Dell web site, you
should be able to do this since the system supports 2 64-bit enable Xeon
CPUs.

Dell lists the following as options for this model:

Windows ServerŪ 2003 R2, Standard x64 Edition
Windows ServerŪ 2003 R2, Enterprise x64 Edition

This system is intended as a server and apparently Dell supports Server
OSs on this hardware.

lu wrote:
> Because of space constraints, we would like to use a Dell PowerEdge
> 1850. Dell has disclaimed any support of Windows XP on this PowerEdge,
> but we would like to load Windows XP. Has anyone had experience with
> installing Windows XP (Pro) on the Dell PowerEdge 1850?
> Thanks!
> LuAnn

lu

Dell does not list Windows XP x64 (or any version of Windows XP) as an
option for this model, as far as I know. Will only the x64 version of
Windows XP work on this model? The dual-core Dell Precision 670 supports
both Windows XP Pro and Windows XP Pro x64.

Rick wrote:
> Do you mean Windows XP x64? If so, according to the Dell web site, you
> should be able to do this since the system supports 2 64-bit enable Xeon
> CPUs.
>
> Dell lists the following as options for this model:
>
> Windows ServerŪ 2003 R2, Standard x64 Edition
> Windows ServerŪ 2003 R2, Enterprise x64 Edition
>
> This system is intended as a server and apparently Dell supports Server
> OSs on this hardware.
>
> lu wrote:
>
>> Because of space constraints, we would like to use a Dell PowerEdge
>> 1850. Dell has disclaimed any support of Windows XP on this
>> PowerEdge, but we would like to load Windows XP. Has anyone had
>> experience with installing Windows XP (Pro) on the Dell PowerEdge 1850?
>> Thanks!
>> LuAnn

Rick

What Dell is telling you is this computer is intended as a server and
has been tested/certified with Server OS's.

Windows XP and Windows x64 will probably run on this system, but if you
have any problems, software or hardware, with these installed then Dell
is not going to help you.

So, it depends on whether you want to take a chance, and be on your own
when problems crop up, or do you want to go with a model that Dell will
support Win x64 on?

You have to decide which is best for you.

Have you looked for a hardware forum with this model being the focus
where you might find more information? This group is not really geared
for hardware support. It's intended to support Windows x64 operating
systems.

lu wrote:
> Dell does not list Windows XP x64 (or any version of Windows XP) as an
> option for this model, as far as I know. Will only the x64 version of
> Windows XP work on this model? The dual-core Dell Precision 670 supports
> both Windows XP Pro and Windows XP Pro x64.
>

> Rick wrote:
>> Do you mean Windows XP x64? If so, according to the Dell web site,
>> you should be able to do this since the system supports 2 64-bit
>> enable Xeon CPUs.
>>
>> Dell lists the following as options for this model:
>>
>> Windows ServerŪ 2003 R2, Standard x64 Edition
>> Windows ServerŪ 2003 R2, Enterprise x64 Edition
>>
>> This system is intended as a server and apparently Dell supports
>> Server OSs on this hardware.
>> lu wrote:
>>
>>> Because of space constraints, we would like to use a Dell PowerEdge
>>> 1850. Dell has disclaimed any support of Windows XP on this
>>> PowerEdge, but we would like to load Windows XP. Has anyone had
>>> experience with installing Windows XP (Pro) on the Dell PowerEdge 1850?
>>> Thanks!
>>> LuAnn