Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Help me on Antivirus for x64!!!

Help me on Antivirus for x64!!!

=?Utf-8?B?UXVhenp5R3V5?=

I have tried E Trust Ver 7.1.8.0 & it is not compatible with windows xp64,
Real-time Protection does not run
Tom

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> None of Symantecs retail products are compatible with x64, there Corporate
> version of Norton, Symantec AV 10.0.1 is. AVG 7.1, Avast! Home, NOD 32,
> eTrust 7.1 are all compatible.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Manish" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >i m having prob installing any antivirus, when i run setup of NAV 2005 or
> > 2006 it says "Norton AntiVirus 2004 will install a driver that causes
> > severe
> > stability problems on the 64 bit versions of the Windows operating
> > systems.
> > Please contact your software vendor Symantec to obtain a compatible
> > version
> > of the drivers prior to installing this software.".
> > what should i do as i have just installed x64 on my amd sempron 64 bit
> > pc????

John Barnes

Why don't you download the current r8 30day trial version. Quite a number
of posters use 7.1, but there were also early versions of 7.1 that weren't
x64 compatible.

"QuazzyGuy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have tried E Trust Ver 7.1.8.0 & it is not compatible with windows xp64,
> Real-time Protection does not run
> Tom
>
> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>
>> None of Symantecs retail products are compatible with x64, there
>> Corporate
>> version of Norton, Symantec AV 10.0.1 is. AVG 7.1, Avast! Home, NOD 32,
>> eTrust 7.1 are all compatible.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Manish" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >i m having prob installing any antivirus, when i run setup of NAV 2005
>> >or
>> > 2006 it says "Norton AntiVirus 2004 will install a driver that causes
>> > severe
>> > stability problems on the 64 bit versions of the Windows operating
>> > systems.
>> > Please contact your software vendor Symantec to obtain a compatible
>> > version
>> > of the drivers prior to installing this software.".
>> > what should i do as i have just installed x64 on my amd sempron 64 bit
>> > pc????

Charles Kenyon

I'm currently running NOD32 without problems.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Manish" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>i m having prob installing any antivirus, when i run setup of NAV 2005 or
> 2006 it says "Norton AntiVirus 2004 will install a driver that causes
> severe
> stability problems on the 64 bit versions of the Windows operating
> systems.
> Please contact your software vendor Symantec to obtain a compatible
> version
> of the drivers prior to installing this software.".
> what should i do as i have just installed x64 on my amd sempron 64 bit
> pc????

Charles Kenyon

I'm currently using NOD32 without any apparent problems.

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"QuazzyGuy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have tried E Trust Ver 7.1.8.0 & it is not compatible with windows xp64,
> Real-time Protection does not run
> Tom
>
> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>
>> None of Symantecs retail products are compatible with x64, there
>> Corporate
>> version of Norton, Symantec AV 10.0.1 is. AVG 7.1, Avast! Home, NOD 32,
>> eTrust 7.1 are all compatible.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Manish" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >i m having prob installing any antivirus, when i run setup of NAV 2005
>> >or
>> > 2006 it says "Norton AntiVirus 2004 will install a driver that causes
>> > severe
>> > stability problems on the 64 bit versions of the Windows operating
>> > systems.
>> > Please contact your software vendor Symantec to obtain a compatible
>> > version
>> > of the drivers prior to installing this software.".
>> > what should i do as i have just installed x64 on my amd sempron 64 bit
>> > pc????

Rick

It runs on mine, and has been for almost a year.

QuazzyGuy wrote:
> I have tried E Trust Ver 7.1.8.0 & it is not compatible with windows xp64,
> Real-time Protection does not run
> Tom
>
> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>
>> None of Symantecs retail products are compatible with x64, there Corporate
>> version of Norton, Symantec AV 10.0.1 is. AVG 7.1, Avast! Home, NOD 32,
>> eTrust 7.1 are all compatible.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Manish" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> i m having prob installing any antivirus, when i run setup of NAV 2005 or
>>> 2006 it says "Norton AntiVirus 2004 will install a driver that causes
>>> severe
>>> stability problems on the 64 bit versions of the Windows operating
>>> systems.
>>> Please contact your software vendor Symantec to obtain a compatible
>>> version
>>> of the drivers prior to installing this software.".
>>> what should i do as i have just installed x64 on my amd sempron 64 bit
>>> pc????

=?Utf-8?B?Um9hY2poZ29k?=

I use a free one called Avast. I have used it since shortly after pro 64 came
out and no problems yet.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

> I'm currently running NOD32 without problems.
> --
> Charles Kenyon
>
> Word New User FAQ & Web Directory: http://addbalance.com/word
>
> Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version of
> Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide) http://addbalance.com/usersguide
>
> See also the MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/ which is awesome!
>
> My criminal defense site: http://addbalance.com
> --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
> This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
> and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
> from my ignorance and your wisdom.
>

> "Manish" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >i m having prob installing any antivirus, when i run setup of NAV 2005 or
> > 2006 it says "Norton AntiVirus 2004 will install a driver that causes
> > severe
> > stability problems on the 64 bit versions of the Windows operating
> > systems.
> > Please contact your software vendor Symantec to obtain a compatible
> > version
> > of the drivers prior to installing this software.".
> > what should i do as i have just installed x64 on my amd sempron 64 bit
> > pc????

Wyld_Black_Wolf

try looking for a decently compatible antivirus and there shouldn't be a
problem. i use avast myself and there are very few if any issues ive had with
it. and it does not contribute to system instability.
avast has a program released for vista users that helps to protect and
defend vista from nasties out there and i find seems to be the most
effective. they know about their programming and i feeel confident with them
protecting my system. the database and progeram itsself can even be set to
automatically update so the virus database is always new and effective. plus
as i have the home user version i have manageed to register it for free which
is a nice perk about avast, they will protect you no matter who you are.
here is the link to my prefered antivirus if you would like to give it a try.
the only glitch i found so far was that i had to make an exception rule to
avast for my own windows update as for a little while i had an issue with it
blocking it out . not anymore now that i have that rule there.

hope this helps
best of luck
"Manish" wrote:

> i m having prob installing any antivirus, when i run setup of NAV 2005 or
> 2006 it says "Norton AntiVirus 2004 will install a driver that causes severe
> stability problems on the 64 bit versions of the Windows operating systems.
> Please contact your software vendor Symantec to obtain a compatible version
> of the drivers prior to installing this software.".
> what should i do as i have just installed x64 on my amd sempron 64 bit pc????

Nigel s

Hi

I've been using Avast now for a few years and its the least querky and
simplest AV program I have ever come accross, it does exactly what an AV
program should do, sit in the background inobtrusive, doing its own job and
not trying to take over the machine.
I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 since Beta 1 and before that XP Pro x64 & XP
Pro x86 and have never had a problem with Avast, nor have I had a virus get
through, it has caught quite a few that tried.
Although a lot of the big names keep telling us how good they are supposed
to be I have found a lot of them lacking, hiding behind past glories, more
interested in trying to take over from other programs rather than working
with them.
Oh I nearly forgot, It's also free and so are the updates, just gets
better.....

Regards
Nigel s.

"Wyld_Black_Wolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> try looking for a decently compatible antivirus and there shouldn't be a
> problem. i use avast myself and there are very few if any issues ive had
> with
> it. and it does not contribute to system instability.
> avast has a program released for vista users that helps to protect and
> defend vista from nasties out there and i find seems to be the most
> effective. they know about their programming and i feeel confident with
> them
> protecting my system. the database and progeram itsself can even be set to
> automatically update so the virus database is always new and effective.
> plus
> as i have the home user version i have manageed to register it for free
> which
> is a nice perk about avast, they will protect you no matter who you are.
> here is the link to my prefered antivirus if you would like to give it a
> try.
> the only glitch i found so far was that i had to make an exception rule to
> avast for my own windows update as for a little while i had an issue with
> it
> blocking it out . not anymore now that i have that rule there.
>
> hope this helps
> best of luck
> "Manish" wrote:
>
>> i m having prob installing any antivirus, when i run setup of NAV 2005 or
>> 2006 it says "Norton AntiVirus 2004 will install a driver that causes
>> severe
>> stability problems on the 64 bit versions of the Windows operating
>> systems.
>> Please contact your software vendor Symantec to obtain a compatible
>> version
>> of the drivers prior to installing this software.".
>> what should i do as i have just installed x64 on my amd sempron 64 bit
>> pc????

Puteh

Exactly go for version 4.8..so far used it for more than a week and was
amazed that it had detected three viruses in my HDD partition contained in
few programmes whereby before I had been using SAV 9.0....it was never
detected.....Thumbs up to Avast...some more it is free.....Home Edition..