Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Help me on Antivirus for x64!!!

Help me on Antivirus for x64!!!

=?Utf-8?B?TWFuaXNo?=

i m having prob installing any antivirus, when i run setup of NAV 2005 or
2006 it says "Norton AntiVirus 2004 will install a driver that causes severe
stability problems on the 64 bit versions of the Windows operating systems.
Please contact your software vendor Symantec to obtain a compatible version
of the drivers prior to installing this software.".
what should i do as i have just installed x64 on my amd sempron 64 bit pc????

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

None of Symantecs retail products are compatible with x64, there Corporate
version of Norton, Symantec AV 10.0.1 is. AVG 7.1, Avast! Home, NOD 32,
eTrust 7.1 are all compatible.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Manish" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>i m having prob installing any antivirus, when i run setup of NAV 2005 or
> 2006 it says "Norton AntiVirus 2004 will install a driver that causes
> severe
> stability problems on the 64 bit versions of the Windows operating
> systems.
> Please contact your software vendor Symantec to obtain a compatible
> version
> of the drivers prior to installing this software.".
> what should i do as i have just installed x64 on my amd sempron 64 bit
> pc????

Rob Perkins

Manish wrote:
> i m having prob installing any antivirus, when i run setup of NAV 2005 or
> 2006 it says "Norton AntiVirus 2004 will install a driver that causes severe
> stability problems on the 64 bit versions of the Windows operating systems.
> Please contact your software vendor Symantec to obtain a compatible version
> of the drivers prior to installing this software.".
> what should i do as i have just installed x64 on my amd sempron 64 bit pc????

In my opinion, don't use Norton. I lost confidence in them years ago.

I've had a lot of success with Avast! by Alwil software (www.avast.com),
which is running splendidly on my x64 machine, and is free to home
users, in exchange for some registration info.

Rob

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I use Symantec AV 10, not issues here, just that removing it can be a real
PITA.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Rob Perkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Manish wrote:
>> i m having prob installing any antivirus, when i run setup of NAV 2005 or
>> 2006 it says "Norton AntiVirus 2004 will install a driver that causes
>> severe stability problems on the 64 bit versions of the Windows operating
>> systems. Please contact your software vendor Symantec to obtain a
>> compatible version of the drivers prior to installing this software.".
>> what should i do as i have just installed x64 on my amd sempron 64 bit
>> pc????

> In my opinion, don't use Norton. I lost confidence in them years ago.
>
> I've had a lot of success with Avast! by Alwil software (www.avast.com),
> which is running splendidly on my x64 machine, and is free to home users,
> in exchange for some registration info.
>
> Rob

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes, one of the first things I do to any machine I have to work on is remove
all symantec products.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> I use Symantec AV 10, not issues here, just that removing it can be a real
> PITA.
>
> "Rob Perkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Manish wrote:
>>> i m having prob installing any antivirus, when i run setup of NAV 2005
>>> or 2006 it says "Norton AntiVirus 2004 will install a driver that causes
>>> severe stability problems on the 64 bit versions of the Windows
>>> operating systems. Please contact your software vendor Symantec to
>>> obtain a compatible version of the drivers prior to installing this
>>> software.". what should i do as i have just installed x64 on my amd
>>> sempron 64 bit pc????

>> In my opinion, don't use Norton. I lost confidence in them years ago.
>>
>> I've had a lot of success with Avast! by Alwil software (www.avast.com),
>> which is running splendidly on my x64 machine, and is free to home users,
>> in exchange for some registration info.
>>
>> Rob

=?Utf-8?B?SGVtYW50aA==?=

Hi

I have tried installing all the supporting anti virus softwares available in
the market. I had AVG earlier on my X64 system for about one month. But later
on I installed Mcafee Virusscan Enterprise 8.0.0.i on my system and enabled
the Windows firewall. Mcafee detected an extra virus called 'W32/Insane.dam'
that ALL other anti-virus scanners left (as on x64) .

You can also run tens of free online scanners on an x64 machine. It is
really nice to see all of them work well! Use Panda Active Scan Pro (costs a
few $s) to remove any spywares.

Hemanth

"Manish" wrote:

> i m having prob installing any antivirus, when i run setup of NAV 2005 or
> 2006 it says "Norton AntiVirus 2004 will install a driver that causes severe
> stability problems on the 64 bit versions of the Windows operating systems.
> Please contact your software vendor Symantec to obtain a compatible version
> of the drivers prior to installing this software.".
> what should i do as i have just installed x64 on my amd sempron 64 bit pc????

=?Utf-8?B?SGVtYW50aA==?=

Hi

You could also install Windows Defender beta 2 available from Microsoft.

Hemanth

"Hemanth" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have tried installing all the supporting anti virus softwares available in
> the market. I had AVG earlier on my X64 system for about one month. But later
> on I installed Mcafee Virusscan Enterprise 8.0.0.i on my system and enabled
> the Windows firewall. Mcafee detected an extra virus called 'W32/Insane.dam'
> that ALL other anti-virus scanners left (as on x64) .
>
> You can also run tens of free online scanners on an x64 machine. It is
> really nice to see all of them work well! Use Panda Active Scan Pro (costs a
> few $s) to remove any spywares.
>
> Hemanth
>

> "Manish" wrote:
>
> > i m having prob installing any antivirus, when i run setup of NAV 2005 or
> > 2006 it says "Norton AntiVirus 2004 will install a driver that causes severe
> > stability problems on the 64 bit versions of the Windows operating systems.
> > Please contact your software vendor Symantec to obtain a compatible version
> > of the drivers prior to installing this software.".
> > what should i do as i have just installed x64 on my amd sempron 64 bit pc????

Charlie Russel - MVP

Defender is _not_ Anti-Virus. It's anti-malware. It's simply the rebranding
of Microsoft Anti Spyware which was bought from Giant.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Hemanth wrote:
> Hi
>
> You could also install Windows Defender beta 2 available from Microsoft.
>
> Hemanth
>

> "Hemanth" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have tried installing all the supporting anti virus softwares
>> available in the market. I had AVG earlier on my X64 system for about
>> one month. But later on I installed Mcafee Virusscan Enterprise 8.0.0.i
>> on my system and enabled the Windows firewall. Mcafee detected an extra
>> virus called 'W32/Insane.dam' that ALL other anti-virus scanners left
>> (as on x64) .
>>
>> You can also run tens of free online scanners on an x64 machine. It is
>> really nice to see all of them work well! Use Panda Active Scan Pro
>> (costs a few $s) to remove any spywares.
>>
>> Hemanth
>>

>> "Manish" wrote:
>>
>>> i m having prob installing any antivirus, when i run setup of NAV 2005
>>> or 2006 it says "Norton AntiVirus 2004 will install a driver that
>>> causes severe stability problems on the 64 bit versions of the Windows
>>> operating systems. Please contact your software vendor Symantec to
>>> obtain a compatible version of the drivers prior to installing this
>>> software.".
>>> what should i do as i have just installed x64 on my amd sempron 64 bit
>>> pc????

=?Utf-8?B?Vm9vcHRlcg==?=

Hi Manish,

Zone Labs has an x64 firewall beta available. I am just getting my x64
system up and running so I don't know if regular Zone Alarm works with the
x64 OS yet. I agree with the others, get rid of Norton. It slows the box
down too much.

"Manish" wrote:

> i m having prob installing any antivirus, when i run setup of NAV 2005 or
> 2006 it says "Norton AntiVirus 2004 will install a driver that causes severe
> stability problems on the 64 bit versions of the Windows operating systems.
> Please contact your software vendor Symantec to obtain a compatible version
> of the drivers prior to installing this software.".
> what should i do as i have just installed x64 on my amd sempron 64 bit pc????

Barb Bowman

Beta 2 was actually rewritten and it's no longer just a rebranding.

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 16:49:22 -0800, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It's simply the rebranding
>of Microsoft Anti Spyware which was bought from Giant.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Expert Zone Columnist