Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Trouble Installing Win2k3 x64 on Dell PowerEdge 2850

Trouble Installing Win2k3 x64 on Dell PowerEdge 2850

Brad Baker

Tonight I tried to install Windows 2003 Enterprise x64 on a Dell PowerEdge
2850 with a Perc 4e/Di SCSI Raid Controller.

I started out by downloading the win2k3 x64 Perc 4e/Di scsi raid driver from
the Dell website. I extracted the drivers to a floppy disk (they
successfully extracted according to WinZip). Then took the floppy disk out
and put it in the machine I was building. I then inserted the Microsoft VLK
Windows 2003 web/std/ent x64 MSDN DVD in the server and let it boot from the
DVD drive.

As setup started, I pressed F6 to specify third party SCSI/RAID drivers and
pointed setup to my disk. Setup started to load files off the disk and then
I received an error indicating mraid35x.sys was corrupt.

I've tried the following:

- Re-downloading the drivers from Dells Website
- Double and triple checking that I have right driver and right version
(x64)
- Extracting the files onto different floppy disks (in case there was a
problem with my disks)
- Downloading and extracting the files from a different server in case there
was a problem with the floppy disk of the system I was building the driver
disk from
the floppy drive of the server I am trying to install windows on.

I also tried calling Dell Technical support. They insist the drivers are not
corrupt and claim they tested installing win2k3 from a server in their lab,
using the same files I'm using.

My gut instinct is that the drivers on the Dell site are corrupt but I am
trying to keep an open mind about other possibilities. Has anyone else seen
similar problems to this? Or does anyone have any ideas or suggestions about
anything else I might try?

Any assistance or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Brad

Charlie Russel - MVP

Get the checksum of the file that he claims isn't corrupted and check
against what you're seeing.

And yes, the obvious. Make sure the driver is for x64, not "64-bit".

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Brad Baker wrote:
> Tonight I tried to install Windows 2003 Enterprise x64 on a Dell PowerEdge
> 2850 with a Perc 4e/Di SCSI Raid Controller.
>
> I started out by downloading the win2k3 x64 Perc 4e/Di scsi raid driver
> from the Dell website. I extracted the drivers to a floppy disk (they
> successfully extracted according to WinZip). Then took the floppy disk out
> and put it in the machine I was building. I then inserted the Microsoft
> VLK Windows 2003 web/std/ent x64 MSDN DVD in the server and let it boot
> from the DVD drive.
>
> As setup started, I pressed F6 to specify third party SCSI/RAID drivers
> and pointed setup to my disk. Setup started to load files off the disk
> and then I received an error indicating mraid35x.sys was corrupt.
>
> I've tried the following:
>
> - Re-downloading the drivers from Dells Website
> - Double and triple checking that I have right driver and right version
> (x64)
> - Extracting the files onto different floppy disks (in case there was a
> problem with my disks)
> - Downloading and extracting the files from a different server in case
> there was a problem with the floppy disk of the system I was building the
> driver disk from
> the floppy drive of the server I am trying to install windows on.
>
> I also tried calling Dell Technical support. They insist the drivers are
> not corrupt and claim they tested installing win2k3 from a server in
> their lab, using the same files I'm using.
>
> My gut instinct is that the drivers on the Dell site are corrupt but I am
> trying to keep an open mind about other possibilities. Has anyone else
> seen similar problems to this? Or does anyone have any ideas or
> suggestions about anything else I might try?
>
> Any assistance or suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Brad

bizsoftware1 bizsoftware1 is offline
Junior Member

Hi, this is a slightly off the wall request but we have lost our setup disks for a poweredge 1850 running windows 2003 ent server x64, this is a pre r2 version, we have contacted dell who do not have copies of the media and we need to reinstall, the server is blank due to formatting the drives and reconfiguring raid following an error.
Does anybody have a copy of the setup disks for this dell os? I am told it is perfectly legal for me to obtain a copy of the disks as we have a license.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.