Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 64 bit Mainstream Timeline

64 bit Mainstream Timeline

=?Utf-8?B?R3JlZ0g=?=

Afternoon all,

I've spent the last week becoming '64-bit aware'. I've got my code
compiling for X64 and have done some preliminary testing. I love the results
I'm seeing! I'm pumped about the move to 64 bit and can't wait for the
architecture to become mainstream. Our application is 'perfect' for 64 bit
systems and will take full advantage of the architecture.

So...of course there is no 'mainstream commercial' 64-bit Microsoft OS
out yet. Yes, I know...XP 64 is out but support from device mfgrs is spotty.
Same for 2003 64 bit. However 64 bit systems are now available off the
shelf at your favorite store.

So, what's the hold up? Are we all waiting for Vista? Why isn't device
mfgrs jumping on the band wagon? I'm just trying to figure out why the 64
bit initiative isn't moving any faster?

GH

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Greg;
To start, are you communicating your needs to the hardware manufacturers for
specific drivers?
That lets them know their customers have a need.
You could also inform them why you bought a competitors product.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"GregH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Afternoon all,
>
> I've spent the last week becoming '64-bit aware'. I've got my code
> compiling for X64 and have done some preliminary testing. I love the
> results
> I'm seeing! I'm pumped about the move to 64 bit and can't wait for the
> architecture to become mainstream. Our application is 'perfect' for 64
> bit
> systems and will take full advantage of the architecture.
>
> So...of course there is no 'mainstream commercial' 64-bit Microsoft OS
> out yet. Yes, I know...XP 64 is out but support from device mfgrs is
> spotty.
> Same for 2003 64 bit. However 64 bit systems are now available off the
> shelf at your favorite store.
>
> So, what's the hold up? Are we all waiting for Vista? Why isn't device
> mfgrs jumping on the band wagon? I'm just trying to figure out why the 64
> bit initiative isn't moving any faster?
>

> GH

Charlie Russel - MVP

Greg --
First, I'm glad to hear you've ported your (unnamed) app to x64. When is
mainstream? Well, for sure by the release of Vista, since Vista Logo will
require that x64 be supported. But realistically before that? I think there
is now a core of drivers available that enable most people to make informed
choices. That driver situation will improve over the next 6 months as we
move to the release of Vista. At what point will the majority of PC's be
x64? Hard to say. At what point will the majority of PCs be x64 CAPABLE?
Even if running a 32-bit OS? I think we're at the point now where virtually
no server bought today isn't 64 bit capable. And on the desktop side, it's
moving fairly quickly to be the majority. Laptops? They're lagging behind by
a good 12 months, as usual. And Intel's release of "core duo" without x64
support was a huge mistake, IMHO.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

GregH wrote:
> Afternoon all,
>
> I've spent the last week becoming '64-bit aware'. I've got my code
> compiling for X64 and have done some preliminary testing. I love the
> results I'm seeing! I'm pumped about the move to 64 bit and can't wait
> for the architecture to become mainstream. Our application is 'perfect'
> for 64 bit systems and will take full advantage of the architecture.
>
> So...of course there is no 'mainstream commercial' 64-bit Microsoft OS
> out yet. Yes, I know...XP 64 is out but support from device mfgrs is
> spotty. Same for 2003 64 bit. However 64 bit systems are now available
> off the shelf at your favorite store.
>
> So, what's the hold up? Are we all waiting for Vista? Why isn't device
> mfgrs jumping on the band wagon? I'm just trying to figure out why the 64
> bit initiative isn't moving any faster?
>

> GH

=?Utf-8?B?R3JlZ0g=?=

Charlie,

Thanks. That helps. It just seemed like the 64 bit migration was mostly
dead in the water. I remember when the migration from 16 to 32 bit was
occuring. At that time, if you weren't on 32 or actively pursing it, you
were seen as being in the stone age. We're not seeing that with this
migration because there isn't as great of a need. 32 bit apps and systems
meet most home users needs. I guess primarily it has been server class apps
that has 'pushed' this migration.(?)

Regarding our app...It is a time-series data base, aka a historian or
temporal database. We target the OEM arena. OEMs embed our product into
their software and/or hardware products. Our code runs on XP, 2K, 2003
Server and Windows CE 4.2 and 5.0. Pretty cool...1 code base, 1 product,
supports CE, PC 32 and now PC 64 bit....

Regards,
Greg

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Greg --
> First, I'm glad to hear you've ported your (unnamed) app to x64. When is
> mainstream? Well, for sure by the release of Vista, since Vista Logo will
> require that x64 be supported. But realistically before that? I think there
> is now a core of drivers available that enable most people to make informed
> choices. That driver situation will improve over the next 6 months as we
> move to the release of Vista. At what point will the majority of PC's be
> x64? Hard to say. At what point will the majority of PCs be x64 CAPABLE?
> Even if running a 32-bit OS? I think we're at the point now where virtually
> no server bought today isn't 64 bit capable. And on the desktop side, it's
> moving fairly quickly to be the majority. Laptops? They're lagging behind by
> a good 12 months, as usual. And Intel's release of "core duo" without x64
> support was a huge mistake, IMHO.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> GregH wrote:
> > Afternoon all,
> >
> > I've spent the last week becoming '64-bit aware'. I've got my code
> > compiling for X64 and have done some preliminary testing. I love the
> > results I'm seeing! I'm pumped about the move to 64 bit and can't wait
> > for the architecture to become mainstream. Our application is 'perfect'
> > for 64 bit systems and will take full advantage of the architecture.
> >
> > So...of course there is no 'mainstream commercial' 64-bit Microsoft OS
> > out yet. Yes, I know...XP 64 is out but support from device mfgrs is
> > spotty. Same for 2003 64 bit. However 64 bit systems are now available
> > off the shelf at your favorite store.
> >
> > So, what's the hold up? Are we all waiting for Vista? Why isn't device
> > mfgrs jumping on the band wagon? I'm just trying to figure out why the 64
> > bit initiative isn't moving any faster?
> >

> > GH

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

You are competing with Oracle now, they recently purchased a similar
product.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
> [...]
>> > Afternoon all,
>> >
>> > I've spent the last week becoming '64-bit aware'. I've got my code
>> > compiling for X64 and have done some preliminary testing. I love the
>> > results I'm seeing! I'm pumped about the move to 64 bit and can't wait
>> > for the architecture to become mainstream. Our application is
>> > 'perfect'
>> > for 64 bit systems and will take full advantage of the architecture.
>> >
>> > So...of course there is no 'mainstream commercial' 64-bit Microsoft
>> > OS
>> > out yet. Yes, I know...XP 64 is out but support from device mfgrs is
>> > spotty. Same for 2003 64 bit. However 64 bit systems are now available
>> > off the shelf at your favorite store.
>> >
>> > So, what's the hold up? Are we all waiting for Vista? Why isn't
>> > device
>> > mfgrs jumping on the band wagon? I'm just trying to figure out why the

Charlie Russel - MVP

Interesting.

Certainly the initial push for x64 comes from the server side, but there are
real gains for desktop applications too, especially in the areas of digital
media. Something that will be increasingly part of the things we take for
granted. Right now, there isn't a compelling need for the average end user
to use x64 Edition. And the pain is still pretty high, given the many legacy
products that folks have without any drivers for them. But MS had a
compelling need to produce a 64-bit desktop O: Both to support the existing
processors, and to help build the drive to 64-bit as mainstream. But the
compelling initial need was certainly on the server side. By the time Vista
is thoroughly in the pipeline, I think we'll see a rather broader uptake.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

GregH wrote:
> Charlie,
>
> Thanks. That helps. It just seemed like the 64 bit migration was
> mostly dead in the water. I remember when the migration from 16 to 32
> bit was occuring. At that time, if you weren't on 32 or actively pursing
> it, you were seen as being in the stone age. We're not seeing that with
> this migration because there isn't as great of a need. 32 bit apps and
> systems meet most home users needs. I guess primarily it has been server
> class apps that has 'pushed' this migration.(?)
>
> Regarding our app...It is a time-series data base, aka a historian or
> temporal database. We target the OEM arena. OEMs embed our product into
> their software and/or hardware products. Our code runs on XP, 2K, 2003
> Server and Windows CE 4.2 and 5.0. Pretty cool...1 code base, 1 product,
> supports CE, PC 32 and now PC 64 bit....
>
> Regards,
> Greg
>

> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> Greg --
>> First, I'm glad to hear you've ported your (unnamed) app to x64.
>> When is mainstream? Well, for sure by the release of Vista, since Vista
>> Logo will require that x64 be supported. But realistically before that?
>> I think there is now a core of drivers available that enable most people
>> to make informed choices. That driver situation will improve over the
>> next 6 months as we move to the release of Vista. At what point will the
>> majority of PC's be x64? Hard to say. At what point will the majority of
>> PCs be x64 CAPABLE? Even if running a 32-bit OS? I think we're at the
>> point now where virtually no server bought today isn't 64 bit capable.
>> And on the desktop side, it's moving fairly quickly to be the majority.
>> Laptops? They're lagging behind by a good 12 months, as usual. And
>> Intel's release of "core duo" without x64 support was a huge mistake,
>> IMHO.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> GregH wrote:
>>> Afternoon all,
>>>
>>> I've spent the last week becoming '64-bit aware'. I've got my code
>>> compiling for X64 and have done some preliminary testing. I love the
>>> results I'm seeing! I'm pumped about the move to 64 bit and can't wait
>>> for the architecture to become mainstream. Our application is 'perfect'
>>> for 64 bit systems and will take full advantage of the architecture.
>>>
>>> So...of course there is no 'mainstream commercial' 64-bit Microsoft OS
>>> out yet. Yes, I know...XP 64 is out but support from device mfgrs is
>>> spotty. Same for 2003 64 bit. However 64 bit systems are now available
>>> off the shelf at your favorite store.
>>>
>>> So, what's the hold up? Are we all waiting for Vista? Why isn't
>>> device mfgrs jumping on the band wagon? I'm just trying to figure out
>>> why the 64 bit initiative isn't moving any faster?
>>>

>>> GH

Thomas Steffen

GregH wrote:
> So, what's the hold up? Are we all waiting for Vista? Why isn't device
> mfgrs jumping on the band wagon? I'm just trying to figure out why the 64
> bit initiative isn't moving any faster?

Device manufacturers are not doing anything unless they have a business
case. An important point in that business case is marketing: can they
use 64bit compatibility to driver sales? So far the answer is basically no.

What is needed is a certification problem. The Vista Logo will do that
in the future: shiny new logo, good sales, happy customers (well, at
least in theory). But for now there is *no* certification program, and
this kills x64 for many smaller manufacturers.

The other thing is that very few people actually need 64 bit. It is most
useful if you have more than 4 GB of RAM. And even in this group there
are very few people that have some much memory. Just wait 3 years, and 4
GB should be the standard amount of memory (and IE 9 probably uses 3 of
those right after startup...).

Thomas

=?Utf-8?B?RXJuc3Q=?=

ask Intel (or compare Intel and AMD x64 performance!)

=?Utf-8?B?R3JlZ0g=?=

Andre,

OK, you've peeked my interest. Any additional details on what product
Oracle purchased?

Greg