Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Epson Perfection Scanner 4990 Application Hang

Epson Perfection Scanner 4990 Application Hang

=?Utf-8?B?V29vc3Rlcg==?=

In Event Viewer receive error from Epson using their 64 bit driver.

Error Source: Application Hang Category (101) Event: 1002

Any advice or explanation as to the codes or a fix?

Rick

Contact Epson Tech Support. It's their software and hardware. You can
submit a question in an on line form and usually get a response within a
few hours.

Wooster wrote:
> In Event Viewer receive error from Epson using their 64 bit driver.
>
> Error Source: Application Hang Category (101) Event: 1002
>
> Any advice or explanation as to the codes or a fix?

=?Utf-8?B?V29vc3Rlcg==?=

I have been in touch with Epson 1st & 2nd level tech support for many hours.
Today they informed me (after checking with Epson in Japan) that they do not
support Server x64. I am able to get some images after a few hours, despite
"system not responding" messages and "Application Hang" errors in Event
Viewer. Scanner did work with Server 2003. thanks!

"Rick" wrote:

> Contact Epson Tech Support. It's their software and hardware. You can
> submit a question in an on line form and usually get a response within a
> few hours.
>

> Wooster wrote:
> > In Event Viewer receive error from Epson using their 64 bit driver.
> >
> > Error Source: Application Hang Category (101) Event: 1002
> >
> > Any advice or explanation as to the codes or a fix?

Rick

Then I would complain to someone else. Ask to speak to a supervisor.
Epson is the one that published the driver and they are the ones to support.

Try uninstalling your current installation, reboot, make sure the
scanner is off, reinstall the software, and then turn the scanner back
on. Sometimes you can get things to work correctly that way.

Wooster wrote:
> I have been in touch with Epson 1st & 2nd level tech support for many hours.
> Today they informed me (after checking with Epson in Japan) that they do not
> support Server x64. I am able to get some images after a few hours, despite
> "system not responding" messages and "Application Hang" errors in Event
> Viewer. Scanner did work with Server 2003. thanks!
>
> "Rick" wrote:
>
>> Contact Epson Tech Support. It's their software and hardware. You can
>> submit a question in an on line form and usually get a response within a
>> few hours.
>>

>> Wooster wrote:
>>> In Event Viewer receive error from Epson using their 64 bit driver.
>>>
>>> Error Source: Application Hang Category (101) Event: 1002
>>>
>>> Any advice or explanation as to the codes or a fix?

=?Utf-8?B?V29vc3Rlcg==?=

I will register my complaint. They do have a 64-bit driver that they say
works under XP 64 bit and that is the driver that I have installed and
reinstalled several times, but Epson Japan has refused to support x64 Server
and have closed my case with that statement. The people at Epson USA are
checking with their x64 printer driver support group to see if any hang
problems were reported and solved.

"Rick" wrote:

> Then I would complain to someone else. Ask to speak to a supervisor.
> Epson is the one that published the driver and they are the ones to support.
>
> Try uninstalling your current installation, reboot, make sure the
> scanner is off, reinstall the software, and then turn the scanner back
> on. Sometimes you can get things to work correctly that way.
>
> Wooster wrote:
> > I have been in touch with Epson 1st & 2nd level tech support for many hours.
> > Today they informed me (after checking with Epson in Japan) that they do not
> > support Server x64. I am able to get some images after a few hours, despite
> > "system not responding" messages and "Application Hang" errors in Event
> > Viewer. Scanner did work with Server 2003. thanks!
> >
> > "Rick" wrote:
> >
> >> Contact Epson Tech Support. It's their software and hardware. You can
> >> submit a question in an on line form and usually get a response within a
> >> few hours.

McGrandpa

"Wooster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In Event Viewer receive error from Epson using their 64 bit driver.
>
> Error Source: Application Hang Category (101) Event: 1002
>
> Any advice or explanation as to the codes or a fix?

Nothing else about your system?

I'm using a Perfection 4990 Photo, and with Epsons 64 bit driver (TWAIN and
Epson Scan utility) it works perfectly. Even faster than in XP Pro 32 bit.

system specs:

AMD A64 X2 4800+
Gigabyte GA-K8N-SLI
2 x 1gb PC3200 ram
1 x 7800GTX256 @ x16 (Guru3D 83.40 driver set)
3 IDE HD's 160, 160 and 80 gb
1 x NEC DVDRW
10 USB2 ports,
Epson Perfection 4990 Photo
HP Photosmart 7660
Wacom Graphire3 6x8
MS Wheelmouse Optical
Logitech Extreme 3D joystick
2 x Samsung 930B LCD flatpanels on DVI
onboard sound

Windows XP Pro SP2
Windows XP Pro x64

All the hardware works. No driver problems so far. Just having to use a
workaround for now with the HP printer in x64.
I'm curious, when you installed the driver, did you have the Epson
completely disconnected from the computers ports? Just unplugging its
power cord didn't work for me. I had to uninstall the drivers then
reinstall with the Epson USB cable unplugged. After the driver was
installed, the installer said to plug it in, I did, no problems.
McG.

=?Utf-8?B?V29vc3Rlcg==?=

Here is what I have:

Windows Server 2003 x64 Enterprise Edition
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.6GHz; 1GB RAM

Here is what we did:
Epson Scan
Home Mode
Color Negative Film (35mm)
Color
Screen/Web
Screen (768x1024) (Target)
Total time to scan 16 images (after thumbnail generation) was 9 hours and 25
minutes

Epson recently stated that they do not support Windows Server 2003 x64.
After receiving "Not Responding" errors and "Application Hang" errors in
Event Viewer I suspected a driver or software crash--does not seem the case
as the job completed scanning after after 9 1/2 hours. We only have about
4.700 negatives to scan-should take no less than 3,680 hours to scan
them--hey-no problems here, is time really money??!!!

"McGrandpa" wrote:

> "Wooster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In Event Viewer receive error from Epson using their 64 bit driver.
> >
> > Error Source: Application Hang Category (101) Event: 1002
> >
> > Any advice or explanation as to the codes or a fix?

> Nothing else about your system?
>
> I'm using a Perfection 4990 Photo, and with Epsons 64 bit driver (TWAIN and
> Epson Scan utility) it works perfectly. Even faster than in XP Pro 32 bit.
>
> system specs:
>
> AMD A64 X2 4800+
> Gigabyte GA-K8N-SLI
> 2 x 1gb PC3200 ram
> 1 x 7800GTX256 @ x16 (Guru3D 83.40 driver set)
> 3 IDE HD's 160, 160 and 80 gb
> 1 x NEC DVDRW
> 10 USB2 ports,
> Epson Perfection 4990 Photo
> HP Photosmart 7660
> Wacom Graphire3 6x8
> MS Wheelmouse Optical
> Logitech Extreme 3D joystick
> 2 x Samsung 930B LCD flatpanels on DVI
> onboard sound
>
> Windows XP Pro SP2
> Windows XP Pro x64
>
> All the hardware works. No driver problems so far. Just having to use a
> workaround for now with the HP printer in x64.
> I'm curious, when you installed the driver, did you have the Epson
> completely disconnected from the computers ports? Just unplugging its
> power cord didn't work for me. I had to uninstall the drivers then
> reinstall with the Epson USB cable unplugged. After the driver was
> installed, the installer said to plug it in, I did, no problems.
> McG.

McGrandpa

"Wooster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here is what I have:
>
> Windows Server 2003 x64 Enterprise Edition
> Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.6GHz; 1GB RAM
>
> Here is what we did:
> Epson Scan
> Home Mode
> Color Negative Film (35mm)
> Color
> Screen/Web
> Screen (768x1024) (Target)
> Total time to scan 16 images (after thumbnail generation) was 9 hours and
> 25
> minutes
>
> Epson recently stated that they do not support Windows Server 2003 x64.
> After receiving "Not Responding" errors and "Application Hang" errors in
> Event Viewer I suspected a driver or software crash--does not seem the
> case
> as the job completed scanning after after 9 1/2 hours. We only have about
> 4.700 negatives to scan-should take no less than 3,680 hours to scan
> them--hey-no problems here, is time really money??!!!

Ok, I'm astounded. Even at 4800dpi scan res, it doesn't take more than a
minute for a single neg scan with mine. I better check that in x64, even
though the software install went fine.
Sorry I'm no help for you.
McG.