Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Symantec GHOST/ DOS Boot Disk/ Win XP 64

Symantec GHOST/ DOS Boot Disk/ Win XP 64

=?Utf-8?B?YmlsbA==?=

A useful utility is Symantec's GHOST. Typically I boot the computer from a
floppy disk (running DOS generated from Windows 9 and image my system. Win
XP64 do not support booting from DOS. What do I do? Is there a Symantec
update for GHOST or am I out of luck?

TIA,

Bill

John Barnes

There is nothing about x64 that prevents you from booting to a floppy disk.
I do it as necessary to update my BIOS
If you are trying to run Ghost which has been installed on a hard drive,
Ghost won't install and run on x64. Have you tried booting to your Ghost
2003 CD?

"bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>A useful utility is Symantec's GHOST. Typically I boot the computer from a
> floppy disk (running DOS generated from Windows 9 and image my system.
> Win
> XP64 do not support booting from DOS. What do I do? Is there a Symantec
> update for GHOST or am I out of luck?
>
> TIA,
>
> Bill

=?Utf-8?B?YmlsbA==?=

There is nothing about x64 that prevents you from booting to a floppy disk.

But I though if the floppy was DOS ("A>") then x64 does not support that
technology.

Have you tried booting to your Ghost 2003 CD?

No, I haven't. I'll try that.

Thanks,

Barkingdog

"John Barnes" wrote:

> There is nothing about x64 that prevents you from booting to a floppy disk.
> I do it as necessary to update my BIOS
> If you are trying to run Ghost which has been installed on a hard drive,
> Ghost won't install and run on x64. Have you tried booting to your Ghost
> 2003 CD?
>
> "bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >A useful utility is Symantec's GHOST. Typically I boot the computer from a
> > floppy disk (running DOS generated from Windows 9 and image my system.
> > Win
> > XP64 do not support booting from DOS. What do I do? Is there a Symantec
> > update for GHOST or am I out of luck?
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Bill

Rob Stow

bill wrote:
> There is nothing about x64 that prevents you from booting to a floppy disk.
>
> But I though if the floppy was DOS ("A>") then x64 does not support that
> technology.

AMD64 processors (and Intel's cheap "EMT64" knockoffs) can be
thought of as ordinary 32 bit processors with extensions that let
them /also/ function as 64 bit processors.

As such, they can run all of the OSes that you can run on the
older 32 bit processors - specifically including MS-DOS, PC-DOS,
and DR-DOS.