Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Detailed Linksys PAP2T documentation _must_ exist.

Detailed Linksys PAP2T documentation _must_ exist.

Ian Richardson

Dear all,

I'm trying to get some decent documentation out of Linksys on the PAP2T.
The manual is about as useful as toilet paper for a fish.

I've been on hold for 30 minutes to their 0800 technical support number,
and I can understand why. When I did get through their assistance was
nothing more than another 30 minutes of we will _not_ help you! In fact,
the person I was speaking to reacted quite badly when I told her that
all I was getting was lots of "no, no, no".

I tried their online chat facility to get through to a technician, and I
was given a London number to call. That was also a complete waste of
time, and I wouldn't be suprised if that number was simply the non-free
version of their 0800 number.

They call their support service "award winning". I've fortunately never
had any problem with their products before and hence never needed to
contact them, but this has severely dented my opinion of them to the
extent I wish I'd never considered them for getting in to VoIP!

Is there a helpline equivalent of the Razzies? (see http://www.razzies.com/)

As a plea to those of you out there who might have the answers I need,
I'm seeking full documentation on the Linksys PAP2T. There's so much
which isn't even hinted at in the manual yet is available via the GUI.

I know there's more detail out there, based upon the message from
"pricew" on http://www.avforums.com/forums/archi.../t-363078.html.

If any of you have it, even if you've been sent it by that one helpful
person who once existed at Linksys, or you have details from a third
party, I'd really appreciate it. Any useful fragments of detail you've
got from Linksys would be handy, if only so I can put the lot together
and make it available for everyone... in exactly the way Linksys don't.

Why do I want it? To understand the full functionality of the device,
and to ensure it's configured such that I can make the most use out of
it for what I need.

Ian

Tim

Ian Richardson wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm trying to get some decent documentation out of Linksys on the PAP2T.
> The manual is about as useful as toilet paper for a fish.

I'm sure I've got an admin manual for it.

Where did you buy it from?

Tim

Ian Richardson

Tim wrote:
> Ian Richardson wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I'm trying to get some decent documentation out of Linksys on the PAP2T.
>> The manual is about as useful as toilet paper for a fish.

> I'm sure I've got an admin manual for it.

Is it a PDF. Can you email it to me, or upload it somewhere?

> Where did you buy it from?

broadbandstuff.co.uk

Thanks,

Ian

Peter Andrews

"Ian Richardson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear all,
>
> I'm trying to get some decent documentation out of Linksys on the PAP2T.
> The manual is about as useful as toilet paper for a fish.
>
> I've been on hold for 30 minutes to their 0800 technical support number,
> and I can understand why. When I did get through their assistance was
> nothing more than another 30 minutes of we will _not_ help you! In fact,
> the person I was speaking to reacted quite badly when I told her that
> all I was getting was lots of "no, no, no".
>
> I tried their online chat facility to get through to a technician, and I
> was given a London number to call. That was also a complete waste of
> time, and I wouldn't be suprised if that number was simply the non-free
> version of their 0800 number.
>
> They call their support service "award winning". I've fortunately never
> had any problem with their products before and hence never needed to
> contact them, but this has severely dented my opinion of them to the
> extent I wish I'd never considered them for getting in to VoIP!
>
> Is there a helpline equivalent of the Razzies? (see
> http://www.razzies.com/)
>
> As a plea to those of you out there who might have the answers I need,
> I'm seeking full documentation on the Linksys PAP2T. There's so much
> which isn't even hinted at in the manual yet is available via the GUI.
>
> I know there's more detail out there, based upon the message from
> "pricew" on
> http://www.avforums.com/forums/archi.../t-363078.html.
>
> If any of you have it, even if you've been sent it by that one helpful
> person who once existed at Linksys, or you have details from a third
> party, I'd really appreciate it. Any useful fragments of detail you've
> got from Linksys would be handy, if only so I can put the lot together
> and make it available for everyone... in exactly the way Linksys don't.
>
> Why do I want it? To understand the full functionality of the device,
> and to ensure it's configured such that I can make the most use out of
> it for what I need.
>
> Ian

I'll second that, while I didn't find the manual on line - prior to buying
one I did expect a bit more with the device. There must be over 50 user
configurable options but heaven only knows what they do! I also think my
device is faulty as I configure line one but have to plug into socket two.
However that line does work and that's all I need.

I also RMA'd a faulty Linksys Router before christmas and the replacement
only came last week - guess what also faulty - UPS picked it up today...
good job I've got a spare - don't think I'll be buying Linksys again.

Peter

Roger Morton

In <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ian Richardson wrote:

> I'm trying to get some decent documentation out of Linksys on the
> PAP2T.

I have an SPA3000 - the support stuff for that is still on the Sipura
website. There's a kind of generic Sipura ATA User Guide at

http://www.sipura.com/support/index.htm

which might cover most of what the PAP2T does.

--
Roger Morton

Tim

Peter Andrews wrote:

> I also RMA'd a faulty Linksys Router before christmas and the replacement
> only came last week - guess what also faulty - UPS picked it up today...
> good job I've got a spare - don't think I'll be buying Linksys again.

You didn't say where you bought this one from? And exactly which product?

Tim

Tim

Ian Richardson wrote:

> Is it a PDF. Can you email it to me, or upload it somewhere?

I sent you an email.

Tim

Paul Hayes

Ian Richardson wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm trying to get some decent documentation out of Linksys on the PAP2T.
> The manual is about as useful as toilet paper for a fish.

[snip]

> Ian

What manuals have you got? I've tried to include pretty much everything
I can on my support section:

http://www.provu.co.uk/support

But the devices are inherently difficult to configure due to the huge
amount of options you have. They are designed to be pre-configured by
service providers rather than configured by home users.

cheers,
Paul.