Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Re: Pentium D920 only as uniprocessor.

Re: Pentium D920 only as uniprocessor.

Rob Perkins

> Motherboard is Abit NI8 SLI GR and the processor is Intel (Pentiu) D
> 920.
>
> I have now installed XP Pro UK SP2, that doesn't see the processor as
> two, just one..

I'm having exactly the same problem. but with an ASUS P5ND2-SLI (bios
version 501, carrying a Pentium D 830, and trying to run XP x64 Edition.

I installed x64 Edition and discovered the problem, and followed up by
updating the BIOS from version 101 to 501, according to the ASUS
directions (and I have to confess that the flashing program was slick...)

Now, The BIOS POST reports "2 CPU's". I ran a repair installation of XP
x64, but the installation did not replace the HAL components to enable
the other core.

The whole point of this exercise was to get into a dual core machine.
How do I fix this?

Rob

David Vair

I think that when you are doing the repair, if you hit F5 when it prompts for the F6 for additional
drivers that it will prompt you to select the HAL.
--
Dave Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

"Rob Perkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Motherboard is Abit NI8 SLI GR and the processor is Intel (Pentiu) D
>> 920.
>>
>> I have now installed XP Pro UK SP2, that doesn't see the processor as
>> two, just one..

> I'm having exactly the same problem. but with an ASUS P5ND2-SLI (bios version 501, carrying a
> Pentium D 830, and trying to run XP x64 Edition.
>
> I installed x64 Edition and discovered the problem, and followed up by updating the BIOS from
> version 101 to 501, according to the ASUS directions (and I have to confess that the flashing
> program was slick...)
>
> Now, The BIOS POST reports "2 CPU's". I ran a repair installation of XP x64, but the installation
> did not replace the HAL components to enable the other core.
>
> The whole point of this exercise was to get into a dual core machine. How do I fix this?
>
> Rob

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Rob,
You may want to try this update. It doesn't reference XP X64 (only x64
Server versions are referenced) but it certainly sounds like the same issue.

899656 Not all processors on some multiprocessor computers are recognized
by x64-based versions of Windows Server 2003

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: Rob Perkins <(E-Mail Removed)>
<Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.publ ic.windows.64bit.general,m
icrosoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<Subject: Re: Pentium D920 only as uniprocessor.
<Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 09:18:25 -0800
<
<(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
<> Motherboard is Abit NI8 SLI GR and the processor is Intel (Pentiu) D
<> 920.
<>

Darrell Gorter[MSFT] wrote:
> Hello Rob,
> You may want to try this update. It doesn't reference XP X64 (only x64
> Server versions are referenced) but it certainly sounds like the same issue.
>
> 899656 Not all processors on some multiprocessor computers are recognized
> by x64-based versions of Windows Server 2003
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;899656

OK. I applied a repair install, pressing f5 to choose the multiprocessor
HAL. No change.

After applying the patch, the hardware Device manager still reports the
computer as "ACPI Uniprocessor x64-based PC", with only one entry for
the processor in the "Processors" section. That entry reads "Intel(R)
Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00 GHz.

I'm going to apply everything I can think of from Windows Update, and
then reapply this patch.

Rob

Rob Perkins

Rob Perkins wrote:

> I'm going to apply everything I can think of from Windows Update, and
> then reapply this patch.

Windows Update complete, no change; the system is only using one core.

Where do I go from here?

Rob

Charlie Russel - MVP

See the ASUS web site. The D830 is listed as supported on that mobo in
single core mode only.
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/c...odel=P5ND2-SLI

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Rob Perkins wrote:
> Rob Perkins wrote:
>
>> I'm going to apply everything I can think of from Windows Update, and
>> then reapply this patch.

> Windows Update complete, no change; the system is only using one core.
>
> Where do I go from here?
>
> Rob

Rob Perkins

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> See the ASUS web site. The D830 is listed as supported on that mobo in
> single core mode only.
> http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/c...odel=P5ND2-SLI

No... That matrix shows the D820 in single core only support. Mine is a
D830. I'm in a conversation now with ASUS where they guarantee that dual
core support is available with my BIOS version, the D830, and XP x64.

This is beginning to be more than a little frustrating.

Rob

Charlie Russel - MVP

It definitely sounds like an ASUS problem. though in fairness to them, Intel
was a bit shaky about dual core requirements -- things are not nearly so
shaky on the AMD side. There, most folks required a BIOS update, but then
they were good to go without further issues.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Rob Perkins wrote:
> Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
>> See the ASUS web site. The D830 is listed as supported on that mobo in
>> single core mode only.
>> http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/c...odel=P5ND2-SLI

> No... That matrix shows the D820 in single core only support. Mine is a
> D830. I'm in a conversation now with ASUS where they guarantee that dual
> core support is available with my BIOS version, the D830, and XP x64.
>
> This is beginning to be more than a little frustrating.
>
> Rob

Rob Perkins

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> It definitely sounds like an ASUS problem. though in fairness to them, Intel
> was a bit shaky about dual core requirements -- things are not nearly so
> shaky on the AMD side. There, most folks required a BIOS update, but then
> they were good to go without further issues.

They assured me by phone that the latest BIOS update correctly describes
the D830 processor.

Rob

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Rob,
So have they tried running Windows on these motherboards with these
processors and do they see the same issue as you or does it work properly
for them?
If it works properly for them, then it's a matter of detereming what is
different between what they are testing with and what you are using.
My first thought is the same as Charlies, that the indications are that
there is a bios issue.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: Rob Perkins <(E-Mail Removed)>