Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Whats the Diffrence anyway...32 vs 64

Whats the Diffrence anyway...32 vs 64

=?Utf-8?B?Z3Y=?=

Before I move on to the questions, I would like to say that we have no need
for the extra processing horsepower.

32 Bit vs 64 bit Vista

1. I have not mucked around with Vista. So the first question would be is it
an option at the start of the install to select which mode to install. Or is
it simply 2 different version of Vista completely that comes prepacked. So
you just run your image from the disk (defined as 32 bit or 64 bit) and it
does the install

2. on a 64 bit mode of vista. Why is it that one cant run a 16 bit
application. Any sort of details would be appreciated

3. I’ve read that on a 32 bit mode 16 bit apps can run. IS this true, if so
why

4. Running 32 bit apps on a 64 bit mode- is it going to be a lot slower,
sure sound like it. Not optimized I know. So how do you propose we run these
applications as most wont have a 64 bit spin-off ready in time by 2007.

5. Finally what’s the difference when one runs on 32 bit vs 64 bit. Is there
any sort of functionality or otherwise that would not be available. Besides
the processing power or need for gamers, what is it that really is the
difference

Charlie Russel - MVP

answered in the other thread.

--