Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Whats the diffrence anyway...

Whats the diffrence anyway...

gunaselanV@yahoo.com

I have read that Vista has 2 options operating under a 32 bit mode Vs
64 bit mode

I have a few questions on it. But before that, i just want to add that
the applications dont need the extra processing horsepower most of them
at least nor do i run any games nor application that needs heavy
graphical rendering

So
1. I have not played around with Vista. But is there an option at the
start to dictate which bit you want to operate in . 64 bit vs 32 bit.
Or is it diffrent versions of vista that ones has to get

2. in 64 bit. Will 32 bit applications run fine

3. In 64 bit , I have read that 16 bit applications will not run why is
this so. I could be missing something significant in terms of computing
architecture. but please do eloborate.

4. in 32 bit. will 16 bit apps run and if so why?any details would be
appreaciated.

5. What would be the diffrence in funtionality or otherwise (maybe even
in security-i dont know, just stabbing in the dark). All i understand
is that its purely a processing need that one would want to go for when
one selects a 64 bit vista?Maybe the gurus here can eloborate

Regards

Charlie Russel - MVP

1.) How it's packaged is a bit early to say - given that the product won't
ship for at least 6 months.
2.) Yes.
3.) There are technical reasons(related to stability, overall speed, etc.)
why MS chose not to include support for 16 bit applications in x64, but
there are workarounds using virtual machines. They seem like pretty viable
workarounds to me, for most scenarios.
4.) Yes. Because an emulation layer is included that enables support for 16
bit applications.
5.) Access to vastly greater amounts of virtual memory address space, more
efficient I/O, more and wider Registers, and faster overall processing would
be some of the reasons.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

> I have read that Vista has 2 options operating under a 32 bit mode Vs
> 64 bit mode
>
> I have a few questions on it. But before that, i just want to add that
> the applications dont need the extra processing horsepower most of them
> at least nor do i run any games nor application that needs heavy
> graphical rendering
>
> So
> 1. I have not played around with Vista. But is there an option at the
> start to dictate which bit you want to operate in . 64 bit vs 32 bit.
> Or is it diffrent versions of vista that ones has to get
>
> 2. in 64 bit. Will 32 bit applications run fine
>
> 3. In 64 bit , I have read that 16 bit applications will not run why is
> this so. I could be missing something significant in terms of computing
> architecture. but please do eloborate.
>
> 4. in 32 bit. will 16 bit apps run and if so why?any details would be
> appreaciated.
>
> 5. What would be the diffrence in funtionality or otherwise (maybe even
> in security-i dont know, just stabbing in the dark). All i understand
> is that its purely a processing need that one would want to go for when
> one selects a 64 bit vista?Maybe the gurus here can eloborate
>
> Regards

=?Utf-8?B?Z3Y=?=

Thank you Charlie.