Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > dual boot disapeard

dual boot disapeard

=?Utf-8?B?SEo=?=

XP 64bit made a dual boot automaticly after installing it on a seperate
partition on a 32bit system.

On system start I got the choice of XP 64bit an XP 32bit.
After my system hanged in the 64bit I did a hard restart of my computer, and
now the dual boot screen disapeard, and the computer starts the 32bit version.

If I look in the disk manager the partition of the 64bit is still there.

Could anyone tell me how to get the dual boot working again, or start the
64bit, since all the programs I use are on the 64bit.........

Greetings,
Henk

Tony Sperling

Short of doing hard-core boot configuration surgery on that disk, which is
much work, I would insert the CD and re-boot, after starting the
installation, you should be presented with an option to repair your previous
installation. This will not overwrite any personal data you may have on that
partition.

Question is - why did the machine hang, in the first place?

Tony. . .

"HJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> XP 64bit made a dual boot automaticly after installing it on a seperate
> partition on a 32bit system.
>
> On system start I got the choice of XP 64bit an XP 32bit.
> After my system hanged in the 64bit I did a hard restart of my computer,
> and
> now the dual boot screen disapeard, and the computer starts the 32bit
> version.
>
> If I look in the disk manager the partition of the 64bit is still there.
>
> Could anyone tell me how to get the dual boot working again, or start the
> 64bit, since all the programs I use are on the 64bit.........
>
> Greetings,
> Henk

=?Utf-8?B?SEo=?=

> Question is - why did the machine hang, in the first place?
Don't have an idea at all.

But I have the windows partitions on a SATA drive, and there's also a IDE
drive in my computer. I dismounted the IDE drive and started the machine...
and there was the dual boot screen again!
Now I've mounted the IDE drive again, and it is still working! Problem
solved, but how???????

Tony Sperling

Well actually, my BIOS upon a Hard Reset falls back to it's default setting
and then looses any changes I made. Can't say really what may have made it

Does that IDE have a Boot Partition of it's own?

Glad it works, though!