Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > I need a laptop, how about some input?

I need a laptop, how about some input?

Larry Hodges

Since I kind of hang out here, I thought I'd ask you guys for some input.
It's time for me to get a laptop as a secondary computer.

I'd like to be able to run x64 (not a deal breaker, but should really speed
things up when the 64 bit apps hit the shelves). Also, my last laptop was
1990, which means I'm not up to speed on what's hot. So assume I know next
to nothing regarding laptops.

I'll be running a minimal amount of CAD with 3D rendering on this.
Occasionally Adobe Creative Suite. But mostly it will be Access, Excel,
Outlook, etc.

Some of the questions that come to mind...

- AMD or Intel?

- What brand is good for support, including turn around time for repair?
(Or should I ask which brand sucks the least)

- Are there any "must haves" I should be looking for? I'll need Internet
access on the road. Not sure the best way to handle that yet.

Also, I need a GPS navigational system. Any suggestions on one that will
work with a laptop? (They have them for PocketPC, so I assume they're
available for laptop.)

Thanks in advance guys,
-Larry

Charles Kenyon

Brands: HP pavillion computers do not support 64bit OS even though they come
with 64-bit processors. Drivers for hot buttons on the computer are not
available.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Larry Hodges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Since I kind of hang out here, I thought I'd ask you guys for some input.
> It's time for me to get a laptop as a secondary computer.
>
> I'd like to be able to run x64 (not a deal breaker, but should really
> speed things up when the 64 bit apps hit the shelves). Also, my last
> laptop was 1990, which means I'm not up to speed on what's hot. So assume
> I know next to nothing regarding laptops.
>
> I'll be running a minimal amount of CAD with 3D rendering on this.
> Occasionally Adobe Creative Suite. But mostly it will be Access, Excel,
> Outlook, etc.
>
> Some of the questions that come to mind...
>
> - AMD or Intel?
>
> - What brand is good for support, including turn around time for repair?
> (Or should I ask which brand sucks the least)
>
> - Are there any "must haves" I should be looking for? I'll need Internet
> access on the road. Not sure the best way to handle that yet.
>
> Also, I need a GPS navigational system. Any suggestions on one that will
> work with a laptop? (They have them for PocketPC, so I assume they're
> available for laptop.)
>
> Thanks in advance guys,
> -Larry

Tony Sperling

That is not true, I have run my zv5000 with great succes although you do
loose the hotkeys, which is mostly a nuisance out of the way. In many ways.

Tony. . .

"Charles Kenyon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Brands: HP pavillion computers do not support 64bit OS even though they
> come with 64-bit processors. Drivers for hot buttons on the computer are
> not available.
> --
> Charles Kenyon
>
> Word New User FAQ & Web Directory: http://addbalance.com/word
>
> Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version of
> Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide) http://addbalance.com/usersguide
>
> See also the MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/ which is awesome!
> --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
> This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
> and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
> from my ignorance and your wisdom.
>

> "Larry Hodges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Since I kind of hang out here, I thought I'd ask you guys for some input.
>> It's time for me to get a laptop as a secondary computer.
>>
>> I'd like to be able to run x64 (not a deal breaker, but should really
>> speed things up when the 64 bit apps hit the shelves). Also, my last
>> laptop was 1990, which means I'm not up to speed on what's hot. So
>> assume I know next to nothing regarding laptops.
>>
>> I'll be running a minimal amount of CAD with 3D rendering on this.
>> Occasionally Adobe Creative Suite. But mostly it will be Access, Excel,
>> Outlook, etc.
>>
>> Some of the questions that come to mind...
>>
>> - AMD or Intel?
>>
>> - What brand is good for support, including turn around time for repair?
>> (Or should I ask which brand sucks the least)
>>
>> - Are there any "must haves" I should be looking for? I'll need
>> Internet access on the road. Not sure the best way to handle that yet.
>>
>> Also, I need a GPS navigational system. Any suggestions on one that will
>> work with a laptop? (They have them for PocketPC, so I assume they're
>> available for laptop.)
>>
>> Thanks in advance guys,
>> -Larry

Charles Kenyon

Mine works - except for the hot keys. But HP support tells me they do not
support 64-bit OS. I also have a zv5000. I had a HD failure and installed
xp64 as the primary OS with a dual-boot into XP-Pro to handle apps that
won't run on XP-64. I've just ordered an extra 1/2-Gig RAM to take me up to
1.25 Gig. That is another point - XP-64 does take more RAM than comes
installed on most production laptops.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That is not true, I have run my zv5000 with great succes although you do
> loose the hotkeys, which is mostly a nuisance out of the way. In many
> ways.
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "Charles Kenyon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Brands: HP pavillion computers do not support 64bit OS even though they
>> come with 64-bit processors. Drivers for hot buttons on the computer are
>> not available.
>> --
>> Charles Kenyon
>>
>> Word New User FAQ & Web Directory: http://addbalance.com/word
>>
>> Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version of
>> Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide) http://addbalance.com/usersguide
>>
>> See also the MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/ which is awesome!
>> --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
>> This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
>> and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
>> from my ignorance and your wisdom.
>>

>> "Larry Hodges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Since I kind of hang out here, I thought I'd ask you guys for some
>>> input. It's time for me to get a laptop as a secondary computer.
>>>
>>> I'd like to be able to run x64 (not a deal breaker, but should really
>>> speed things up when the 64 bit apps hit the shelves). Also, my last
>>> laptop was 1990, which means I'm not up to speed on what's hot. So
>>> assume I know next to nothing regarding laptops.
>>>
>>> I'll be running a minimal amount of CAD with 3D rendering on this.
>>> Occasionally Adobe Creative Suite. But mostly it will be Access, Excel,
>>> Outlook, etc.
>>>
>>> Some of the questions that come to mind...
>>>
>>> - AMD or Intel?
>>>
>>> - What brand is good for support, including turn around time for
>>> repair? (Or should I ask which brand sucks the least)
>>>
>>> - Are there any "must haves" I should be looking for? I'll need
>>> Internet access on the road. Not sure the best way to handle that yet.
>>>
>>> Also, I need a GPS navigational system. Any suggestions on one that
>>> will work with a laptop? (They have them for PocketPC, so I assume
>>> they're available for laptop.)
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance guys,
>>> -Larry

Tony Sperling

It is true, that HP - as a company - do not provide support, and for a
number of good reasons too - but the machine supports the OS completely,
except for the HP specifics.

It is also true that not all 32bit software will run, or indeed install, but
most do and they will run with excellence. This is an OS related issue.

When installing for a dual-boot scenario you should always install the older
system first, if not you are bound to see unpredictable trouble.

And lastly, it is again true that most supermarket laptops sell with only
very limited memory, and HD, but dedicated computer stores would sell this
with at least 512K. I live in Denmark, and mine was advertised with a full
GB.

Tony. . .

"Charles Kenyon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mine works - except for the hot keys. But HP support tells me they do not
> support 64-bit OS. I also have a zv5000. I had a HD failure and installed
> xp64 as the primary OS with a dual-boot into XP-Pro to handle apps that
> won't run on XP-64. I've just ordered an extra 1/2-Gig RAM to take me up
> to 1.25 Gig. That is another point - XP-64 does take more RAM than comes
> installed on most production laptops.
> --
> Charles Kenyon
>
> Word New User FAQ & Web Directory: http://addbalance.com/word
>
> Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version of
> Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide) http://addbalance.com/usersguide
>
> See also the MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/ which is awesome!
> --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
> This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
> and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
> from my ignorance and your wisdom.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> That is not true, I have run my zv5000 with great succes although you do
>> loose the hotkeys, which is mostly a nuisance out of the way. In many
>> ways.
>>

>> Tony. . .
>>

>> "Charles Kenyon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Brands: HP pavillion computers do not support 64bit OS even though they
>>> come with 64-bit processors. Drivers for hot buttons on the computer are
>>> not available.
>>> --
>>> Charles Kenyon
>>>
>>> Word New User FAQ & Web Directory: http://addbalance.com/word
>>>
>>> Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version of
>>> Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide) http://addbalance.com/usersguide
>>>
>>> See also the MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/ which is awesome!
>>> --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
>>> This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
>>> and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
>>> from my ignorance and your wisdom.
>>>

>>> "Larry Hodges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

Andre Da Costa

Well thats a stupid move on their part, Windows XP Professional x64 is an
OEM license and OEM licenses are usually supported by Vendor.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It is true, that HP - as a company - do not provide support, and for a
> number of good reasons too - but the machine supports the OS completely,
> except for the HP specifics.
>
> It is also true that not all 32bit software will run, or indeed install,
> but most do and they will run with excellence. This is an OS related
> issue.
>
> When installing for a dual-boot scenario you should always install the
> older system first, if not you are bound to see unpredictable trouble.
>
> And lastly, it is again true that most supermarket laptops sell with only
> very limited memory, and HD, but dedicated computer stores would sell this
> with at least 512K. I live in Denmark, and mine was advertised with a full
> GB.
>
> Tony. . .
>
> "Charles Kenyon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Mine works - except for the hot keys. But HP support tells me they do not
>> support 64-bit OS. I also have a zv5000. I had a HD failure and installed
>> xp64 as the primary OS with a dual-boot into XP-Pro to handle apps that
>> won't run on XP-64. I've just ordered an extra 1/2-Gig RAM to take me up
>> to 1.25 Gig. That is another point - XP-64 does take more RAM than comes
>> installed on most production laptops.
>> --
>> Charles Kenyon
>>
>> Word New User FAQ & Web Directory: http://addbalance.com/word
>>
>> Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version of
>> Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide) http://addbalance.com/usersguide
>>
>> See also the MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/ which is awesome!
>> --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
>> This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
>> and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
>> from my ignorance and your wisdom.
>>

>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> That is not true, I have run my zv5000 with great succes although you do
>>> loose the hotkeys, which is mostly a nuisance out of the way. In many
>>> ways.
>>>

>>> Tony. . .
>>>

>>> "Charles Kenyon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Tony Sperling

No, that is not what I meant to say, the machine came with XP Home
installed, but it was advertised with a 100 GB HD and 1GB RAM. That was at a
time when the supermarkets advertised their laptops with 40GB HD and 256K of
RAM for nearly 300 dollars more!!!

This really was 'my-kind-of-offer' - 'I jumped'!

Tony. . .

"Andre Da Costa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well thats a stupid move on their part, Windows XP Professional x64 is an
> OEM license and OEM licenses are usually supported by Vendor.
> Andre
> Windows Connect | http://www.windowsconnected.com
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> It is true, that HP - as a company - do not provide support, and for a
>> number of good reasons too - but the machine supports the OS completely,
>> except for the HP specifics.
>>
>> It is also true that not all 32bit software will run, or indeed install,
>> but most do and they will run with excellence. This is an OS related
>> issue.
>>
>> When installing for a dual-boot scenario you should always install the
>> older system first, if not you are bound to see unpredictable trouble.
>>
>> And lastly, it is again true that most supermarket laptops sell with only
>> very limited memory, and HD, but dedicated computer stores would sell
>> this with at least 512K. I live in Denmark, and mine was advertised with
>> a full GB.
>>
>> Tony. . .
>>
>> "Charles Kenyon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Mine works - except for the hot keys. But HP support tells me they do
>>> not support 64-bit OS. I also have a zv5000. I had a HD failure and
>>> installed xp64 as the primary OS with a dual-boot into XP-Pro to handle
>>> apps that won't run on XP-64. I've just ordered an extra 1/2-Gig RAM to
>>> take me up to 1.25 Gig. That is another point - XP-64 does take more RAM
>>> than comes installed on most production laptops.
>>> --
>>> Charles Kenyon
>>>
>>> Word New User FAQ & Web Directory: http://addbalance.com/word
>>>
>>> Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version of
>>> Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide) http://addbalance.com/usersguide
>>>
>>> See also the MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/ which is awesome!
>>> --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
>>> This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
>>> and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
>>> from my ignorance and your wisdom.
>>>

>>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

hemanthyaji@gmail.com

Hi
Buy any Acer laptop with a 64bit processor. I have one of them and it
is really cool!
hemanth

Charlie Russel - MVP

Well, if your budget can stand it, the Acer Ferrari 4005 is the best laptop
I've ever owned or used. Period.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Larry Hodges wrote:
> Since I kind of hang out here, I thought I'd ask you guys for some input.
> It's time for me to get a laptop as a secondary computer.
>
> I'd like to be able to run x64 (not a deal breaker, but should really
> speed things up when the 64 bit apps hit the shelves). Also, my last
> laptop was 1990, which means I'm not up to speed on what's hot. So
> assume I know next to nothing regarding laptops.
>
> I'll be running a minimal amount of CAD with 3D rendering on this.
> Occasionally Adobe Creative Suite. But mostly it will be Access, Excel,
> Outlook, etc.
>
> Some of the questions that come to mind...
>
> - AMD or Intel?
>
> - What brand is good for support, including turn around time for repair?
> (Or should I ask which brand sucks the least)
>
> - Are there any "must haves" I should be looking for? I'll need Internet
> access on the road. Not sure the best way to handle that yet.
>
> Also, I need a GPS navigational system. Any suggestions on one that will
> work with a laptop? (They have them for PocketPC, so I assume they're
> available for laptop.)
>
> Thanks in advance guys,
> -Larry

Larry Hodges

Thanks Charlie. I just looked up the two Ferrari systems on Egghead. The
4006 is $200 more than the 4005, but comes with x64 and it's 2.2GHz. Since
x64 is $140, it would be worth it to me just get the 4006. I wasn't
expecting to spend that much. I just built a new desktop, all SCSI. I'll
work it around in my head and see if I can justify it to myself.

Do you have any heat issues? I've heard the mobile AMD runs hotter than
Intel. Don't remember where I heard that. And battery life is good?

-Larry

news:(E-Mail Removed)...