Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 32 bit Program Compatibility Icon

32 bit Program Compatibility Icon

=?Utf-8?B?UnVzcyBTdmVuZHNlbg==?=

I have a program that is 32 bit. And we would like to run this on windows
2003 x64 terminal server. And it does if the program compatibility icon is
set to windows xp. I copied this icon to the all users folder. And it does
appear on other users desktops. however the compatibility properties do not
stay for the user. They lose there settings. Is there a way to fix this?

Andre Da Costa

Well, its 32-bit it should run without any issues anyway, I know that it
sticks as a local user when you check box and select an appropriate
operating system from the list box. Its possible this scenario is not
supported over Terminal sessesion.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
"Russ Svendsen" <Russ http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a program that is 32 bit. And we would like to run this on windows
> 2003 x64 terminal server. And it does if the program compatibility icon is
> set to windows xp. I copied this icon to the all users folder. And it does
> appear on other users desktops. however the compatibility properties do
> not
> stay for the user. They lose there settings. Is there a way to fix this?

Charlie Russel - MVP

I'm not positive this will work, but it's an old Terminal Server trick that
does work for a lot of things. First, create it as you want it, and get it
working. Use an account at the level that it will need to run as. Then, copy
that profile to the default user profile. (Log in as an administrator,
select user profiles from system properties, advanced. Highlight the source
profile, click Copy, browse to Default User. Then select Permitted to Use
and set to All users.) Now, when new user profiles are created, you'll get
this along with it. Test on a new account to make sure it does what you
need, then delete existing profiles to force users to get a new copy of the
default profile, after warning your users, of course.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Russ Svendsen wrote:
> I have a program that is 32 bit. And we would like to run this on windows
> 2003 x64 terminal server. And it does if the program compatibility icon is
> set to windows xp. I copied this icon to the all users folder. And it does
> appear on other users desktops. however the compatibility properties do
> not stay for the user. They lose there settings. Is there a way to fix
> this?

=?Utf-8?B?UnVzcyBTdmVuZHNlbg==?=

I got it thanks for your help guys. I monitored the registry Andre wsa right
it is local to the user. And in

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

A key with the Full path and exe is created. Example
"c:\program files\office\word\winword.exe" And a value is set to "WINXP"
I wrote a script that runs when the user logins via gpo. And the icon then
works correctly.

Thanks for you help again.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> I'm not positive this will work, but it's an old Terminal Server trick that
> does work for a lot of things. First, create it as you want it, and get it
> working. Use an account at the level that it will need to run as. Then, copy
> that profile to the default user profile. (Log in as an administrator,
> select user profiles from system properties, advanced. Highlight the source
> profile, click Copy, browse to Default User. Then select Permitted to Use
> and set to All users.) Now, when new user profiles are created, you'll get
> this along with it. Test on a new account to make sure it does what you
> need, then delete existing profiles to force users to get a new copy of the
> default profile, after warning your users, of course.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Russ Svendsen wrote:
> > I have a program that is 32 bit. And we would like to run this on windows
> > 2003 x64 terminal server. And it does if the program compatibility icon is
> > set to windows xp. I copied this icon to the all users folder. And it does
> > appear on other users desktops. however the compatibility properties do
> > not stay for the user. They lose there settings. Is there a way to fix
> > this?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Glad you got everything in order.
--