Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > I'm planning for a new machine

I'm planning for a new machine

=?Utf-8?B?S2lyYW4=?=

I'm not much of a hardware person, I'm planning for a new Workstation and a
PC also which would run on windows XP 64 bit, Could anyone please help in
configuration, Most of the vendors and manufacturer's are unable to suggest
on the configuration suitable for XP 64 bit, since they do not have the
supported drivers.

Tony Sperling

It's a tuff job making purchases for others.

I am running a Asrock board with AMD proc and SiS chipset - it's a small
wonder on stability, but alas, socket 754.
I have Two SATA's in a RAID configuration running off the chipset.
I have Broadcom chips on the NIC's and nVidia graphics, Audigy 2 for sound,
and HP PSC for printing. The only thing that isn't working is the Microsoft
Sidewinder Joystick, I believe. The Logitech USB'one does, though.

I am very pleased with this, however, I am contemplating the next addition
but I have decided to wait until the M2 socket is released. I know I would
hate myself if I bought something today when the new generation is a couple
months away.

If you are intent on buying something right away, I think going for
something with a nVidia chipset (nForce4?) would secure your investment by
way of support and compatibility. Not that there aren't issues - but as far
as I can determine most can be solved and the rest is seldom critical, but
watch out for the periferals and add-on's.

Tony. . .

"Kiran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm not much of a hardware person, I'm planning for a new Workstation and

> PC also which would run on windows XP 64 bit, Could anyone please help in
> configuration, Most of the vendors and manufacturer's are unable to

suggest
> on the configuration suitable for XP 64 bit, since they do not have the
> supported drivers.

roman modic

Hello!

"Kiran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm not much of a hardware person, I'm planning for a new Workstation and a
> PC also which would run on windows XP 64 bit, Could anyone please help in
> configuration, Most of the vendors and manufacturer's are unable to suggest
> on the configuration suitable for XP 64 bit, since they do not have the
> supported drivers.

What will be the main purpose of new workstation?
With information you posted I could recommend for example
two ULi based motherboards:

1. 939Dual-SATA2 and Dual Core Athlon 64 X2 4400+
http://www.asrock.com/product/939Dual-SATA2.htm
+ Supports both 939 and M2 socket CPUs
+ Works with PCIe, AGP and PCI graphic cards
+ SATA2: 3 Gbps, NCQ, hot plugging like USB
http://www.jmicron.com/product/jmb360.htm

2. K8SLI-eSATA2 and Sempron-64bit 2500+
http://www.asrock.com/product/K8SLI-eSATA2.htm
+ Supports both 754 and M2 socket CPUs
+ two eSATA 3 Gbps ports at rear panel
+ High Definition Audio 5.1

Servus, Roman

P.S I own K8 Combo-Z and 939Dual-SATA2!
http://www.asrock.com/product/K8%20Combo-Z.htm

Rob Stow

roman modic wrote:
> Hello!
>
> "Kiran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm not much of a hardware person, I'm planning for a new Workstation and a
>> PC also which would run on windows XP 64 bit, Could anyone please help in
>> configuration, Most of the vendors and manufacturer's are unable to suggest
>> on the configuration suitable for XP 64 bit, since they do not have the
>> supported drivers.

> What will be the main purpose of new workstation?
> With information you posted I could recommend for example
> two ULi based motherboards:
>
> 1. 939Dual-SATA2 and Dual Core Athlon 64 X2 4400+
> http://www.asrock.com/product/939Dual-SATA2.htm
> + Supports both 939 and M2 socket CPUs
> + Works with PCIe, AGP and PCI graphic cards
> + SATA2: 3 Gbps, NCQ, hot plugging like USB
> http://www.jmicron.com/product/jmb360.htm
>
> 2. K8SLI-eSATA2 and Sempron-64bit 2500+
> http://www.asrock.com/product/K8SLI-eSATA2.htm
> + Supports both 754 and M2 socket CPUs
> + two eSATA 3 Gbps ports at rear panel
> + High Definition Audio 5.1
>
> Servus, Roman
>
> P.S I own K8 Combo-Z and 939Dual-SATA2!
> http://www.asrock.com/product/K8%20Combo-Z.htm

Those are just ordinary desktop boards. They can't handle very
much RAM and they lack basic workstation features like SCSI
controllers or PCI-X slots to stick a SCSI or RAID controller into.

For workstations boards like the following are better candidates:

http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/moth...orce/H8DCE.cfm
http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/moth...orce/H8DCi.cfm
http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/moth...orce/H8DC8.cfm
http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8we.html (AKA S2895)

If your application needs lots of RAM but 2 CPUs would be enough,
consider the IWill DK88:
http://www.iwill.net/product_2.asp?p_id=102&sp=Y

Lots of dual Opteron boards for you to look at here:
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merch...egory_Code=OMB
http://www.lynncomp.com/
At the latter, be sure to check out the Tyan, SuperMicro, IWill
and Arima/Rioworks selections.

I have built a few boxes around the S2895 but I'm looking forward
to a chance to try the H8DCE.

Tyan and Supermicro both also have a few 4P boards that would do
nicely as workstation boards if you need lots of RAM or lots of CPUs.

=?Utf-8?B?bHVhbm1pa2V2dQ==?=

Ultra 500W ATX Continuous Black Power Supply
Kingston 2048MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz (2 x 1024MB)
BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra PCIe 256MB w/Dual DVI
DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 Motherboard
Hitachi 250GB Serial ATA HD 7200/8MB/S-ATA-II-300
Cooler Master Centurion 530 Black Case w/o PSU
AMD Athlon 64 4600+ Socket 939 (Manchester) BOXED
Samsung Monitor CRT 997DF
Microsoft Natural Keyboard
Microsoft ball/mouse
No wireless drivers yet, so don't buy D-LINK wireless adapters/USB/etc...

Need to order separately, big fan 120mm for case.

Works great w/ WinXP Prof x64, all drivers at dfi.com and nvidia.com