Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Printer Manager and 32bit drivers

Printer Manager and 32bit drivers

=?Utf-8?B?VE1pbGxlcg==?=

I am new to Win 2003 server. The impression I get from the Printer Manager
is that you can install both 64bit and 32 bit version of the printer drivers
so it can then service both Win 64 an 32 bit clients. I fails when trying to
install the 32 version of the driver asking for ntprint.inf. I put the disk
in and find two different version of the file and niether of them work.
Trying to install the 32xp version of HP LaserJet 4M Plus printer driver.
Thanks.

Charlie Russel - MVP

follow the steps in my blog, only in this case you're adding a 32-bit
driver. You'll need the 32-bit Server 2k3 CD, of course, to get the drivers
from. http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc.../05/61685.aspx

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

TMiller wrote:
> I am new to Win 2003 server. The impression I get from the Printer
> Manager is that you can install both 64bit and 32 bit version of the
> printer drivers so it can then service both Win 64 an 32 bit clients. I
> fails when trying to install the 32 version of the driver asking for
> ntprint.inf. I put the disk in and find two different version of the
> file and niether of them work. Trying to install the 32xp version of HP
> LaserJet 4M Plus printer driver. Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?VE1pbGxlcg==?=

No I see my mistake, the "32bit" version. I would think that MS would be
smart enough to have the necessary 32bit files already in place either as
part of the install or on the 64bit cd. I happen to have these disks, but
what if I didn't? Thanks for the help.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> follow the steps in my blog, only in this case you're adding a 32-bit
> driver. You'll need the 32-bit Server 2k3 CD, of course, to get the drivers
> from. http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc.../05/61685.aspx
>

> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Charlie Russel - MVP

This has always been the way it is, I'm afraid. They don't make it
particularly easy to add drivers for other architectures, and you've always
had to have the appropriate disks available.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

TMiller wrote:
> No I see my mistake, the "32bit" version. I would think that MS would be
> smart enough to have the necessary 32bit files already in place either as
> part of the install or on the 64bit cd. I happen to have these disks, but
> what if I didn't? Thanks for the help.
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> follow the steps in my blog, only in this case you're adding a 32-bit
>> driver. You'll need the 32-bit Server 2k3 CD, of course, to get the
>> drivers from.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc.../05/61685.aspx
>>

>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

=?Utf-8?B?VE1pbGxlcg==?=

I think you are missing my point. I have the 32 driver on a disk. When I
Add Driver, it process the files from the disk and then asks me for the x86
version of NTPRINTER.inf. I think the the NTPRINTER.inf should be installed
by default on the 64 version of 2003 assuming that I will want both 32 and 64
bit printer drivers installed. I agree with you completely that it is up to
me to actually supply the 32bit driver for a specific printer.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> This has always been the way it is, I'm afraid. They don't make it
> particularly easy to add drivers for other architectures, and you've always
> had to have the appropriate disks available.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Charlie Russel - MVP

I didn't miss your point. No, it does not, nor has it ever had,
ntprinter.inf for any architecture other than its own. That has always been
the case for NT/2000/2003. It used to happen with MIPS architecture servers,
then Alphas, then Itanium, and now x64 back to x86. They are different
architectures. They aren't all on the CD. Should they be? Well, I suppose
one could ask for it, but ultimately I'm not at all suprised they aren't.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

TMiller wrote:
> I think you are missing my point. I have the 32 driver on a disk. When I
> Add Driver, it process the files from the disk and then asks me for the
> x86 version of NTPRINTER.inf. I think the the NTPRINTER.inf should be
> installed by default on the 64 version of 2003 assuming that I will want
> both 32 and 64 bit printer drivers installed. I agree with you
> completely that it is up to me to actually supply the 32bit driver for a
> specific printer.
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> This has always been the way it is, I'm afraid. They don't make it
>> particularly easy to add drivers for other architectures, and you've
>> always had to have the appropriate disks available.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

=?Utf-8?B?VE1pbGxlcg==?=

So you need the entire OS to install a printer driver? All you need it the
printer subsystem for each version. How many "Windows" files are referenced
by a printer driver? 10, 15, 20? It isn't like they even need to be able to
use that driver, just install and manage it and pass it on to the appropiate
client.

I guess this really isn't much of a "feature" as a sales tool to make you
buy a server product you don't really need so you can install drivers for
multiple platforms.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> I didn't miss your point. No, it does not, nor has it ever had,
> ntprinter.inf for any architecture other than its own. That has always been
> the case for NT/2000/2003. It used to happen with MIPS architecture servers,
> then Alphas, then Itanium, and now x64 back to x86. They are different
> architectures. They aren't all on the CD. Should they be? Well, I suppose
> one could ask for it, but ultimately I'm not at all suprised they aren't.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> TMiller wrote:
> > I think you are missing my point. I have the 32 driver on a disk. When I
> > Add Driver, it process the files from the disk and then asks me for the
> > x86 version of NTPRINTER.inf. I think the the NTPRINTER.inf should be
> > installed by default on the 64 version of 2003 assuming that I will want
> > both 32 and 64 bit printer drivers installed. I agree with you
> > completely that it is up to me to actually supply the 32bit driver for a
> > specific printer.
> >
> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> This has always been the way it is, I'm afraid. They don't make it
> >> particularly easy to add drivers for other architectures, and you've
> >> always had to have the appropriate disks available.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Charlie Russel - MVP

Actually, it has more to do with what's on the CD and the overall size of CD
images, and not creating confusion about which one to use where, I suspect.
And in the vast majority of enterprise environments, you wouldn't have an
issue at all, since they are generally on volume licensing anyway, and have
access to the media one way or another. Or you can use eval versions, which
are downloadable, or TechNet/MSDN versions, etc. It isn't fussy about where
they come from.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

TMiller wrote:
> So you need the entire OS to install a printer driver? All you need it
> the printer subsystem for each version. How many "Windows" files are
> referenced by a printer driver? 10, 15, 20? It isn't like they even need
> to be able to use that driver, just install and manage it and pass it on
> to the appropiate client.
>
> I guess this really isn't much of a "feature" as a sales tool to make you
> buy a server product you don't really need so you can install drivers for
> multiple platforms.
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> I didn't miss your point. No, it does not, nor has it ever had,
>> ntprinter.inf for any architecture other than its own. That has always
>> been the case for NT/2000/2003. It used to happen with MIPS architecture
>> servers, then Alphas, then Itanium, and now x64 back to x86. They are
>> different architectures. They aren't all on the CD. Should they be?
>> Well, I suppose one could ask for it, but ultimately I'm not at all
>> suprised they aren't.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> TMiller wrote:
>>> I think you are missing my point. I have the 32 driver on a disk.
>>> When I Add Driver, it process the files from the disk and then asks me
>>> for the x86 version of NTPRINTER.inf. I think the the NTPRINTER.inf
>>> should be installed by default on the 64 version of 2003 assuming that
>>> I will want both 32 and 64 bit printer drivers installed. I agree with
>>> you completely that it is up to me to actually supply the 32bit driver
>>> for a specific printer.

Amrit Kohli

Hey guys,

Well, my problem is that I have Vista 64-bit installed and I need the
NTPRINT.INF file from Vista 32-bit to install my 32-bit driver for a shared
printer. I have both the 32-bit and 64-bit Vista discs, but for whatever
reason, neither of them have the NTPRINT.INF file available to me. I
searched for the file on the disc and I searched the contents of the files on
the disc, and nothing turned up. I think Microsoft has hidden most of the
files used by the OS on the DVD for Vista. There isn't an i386 subdirectory,
like there are on the previous version of Windows.

So, my question remains...how do I get a copy of the NTPRINT.INF file for
Windows Vista 32-bit?

Thanks,

Amrit Kohli

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Actually, it has more to do with what's on the CD and the overall size of CD
> images, and not creating confusion about which one to use where, I suspect.
> And in the vast majority of enterprise environments, you wouldn't have an
> issue at all, since they are generally on volume licensing anyway, and have
> access to the media one way or another. Or you can use eval versions, which
> are downloadable, or TechNet/MSDN versions, etc. It isn't fussy about where
> they come from.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> TMiller wrote:
> > So you need the entire OS to install a printer driver? All you need it
> > the printer subsystem for each version. How many "Windows" files are
> > referenced by a printer driver? 10, 15, 20? It isn't like they even need
> > to be able to use that driver, just install and manage it and pass it on
> > to the appropiate client.
> >
> > I guess this really isn't much of a "feature" as a sales tool to make you
> > buy a server product you don't really need so you can install drivers for
> > multiple platforms.
> >
> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> I didn't miss your point. No, it does not, nor has it ever had,
> >> ntprinter.inf for any architecture other than its own. That has always
> >> been the case for NT/2000/2003. It used to happen with MIPS architecture
> >> servers, then Alphas, then Itanium, and now x64 back to x86. They are
> >> different architectures. They aren't all on the CD. Should they be?
> >> Well, I suppose one could ask for it, but ultimately I'm not at all
> >> suprised they aren't.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Alan Morris [MSFT]

The files are not flat on the DVD. You can only get the 32bit ntprint.inf
from a machine that has the 32bit OS installed.

\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

news:(E-Mail Removed)...