Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > xp64 or vista 64 if any ?

xp64 or vista 64 if any ?

=?Utf-8?B?dG9ycXVlYzE=?=

Hi ,
after reading this article from overclockers .com
http://www.overclockers.com/tips00910/ i am wondering what thoughts other
people who have tried x64 have ,
would i be better of waitig for vista do you think ?
Is it worth the change over to 64bit ?
I already have the hardware in place for this so it's only the cost of vista
i belive ,
what happens to all the 32 bit software i have know adobe photoshop , myra,
ulead ect i don't have to replace these do i ?
is it just a case of downloading 64bit drivers for my present software
[vista or xp excluded as they must have it i pressume ]

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

The majority of 32 bit applications are compatible except for those that
utilize 16 bit installers which is not supported under Windows x64. As for
hardware devices, all of them are required to have 64-bit drivers before
they can run under Windows x64.

Moving to Windows x64 all depends on what you plan to do with operating
system. Investing Windows XP x64 right now requires thorough research to
ensure that all the devices and applications you plan on using with
operating system is fully compatible, this includes Scanners,
Printers/All-In-Ones etc.

I suggest you check out Charlie Russels Overview of the Windows x64 Editions
first:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc.../29/77166.aspx

I suspect that Windows Vista will be the version of Windows that brings the
idea of consumer 64-bit computing full circle. So in some cases, its best
you wait, but do the research before you invest in it if you think its
something you really need today.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com