Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XP vs XP64 Drivers

XP vs XP64 Drivers

=?Utf-8?B?bGFyZ2VvbmU1OQ==?=

When you install windows XP, normally the devices that are allready in your
computer (video card, sound card, printer) XP automatically creates the
drivers and they are up and running perfectly.

I've heard that there are some driver issues with xp64. Would the devices
automatically work as in XP, or will there be problems and have to download
special drivers?

I was going to put xp64 on an older computer (Pentium II, windows 9, which
has older devices on it, and i was wondering if i had to download special
drivers. If i have to, i probably won't install xp64 since the companies
aren't going to make special drivers for products distributed in 1998...

Thanks!!!

-largeone59

Andre Da Costa

Well, just put off those plans to put XP Professional x64 on your P II
running 98, that hardware architecture is old. Windows x64 requires that you
processor is 64 bit. XP does not create drivers for your devices, it comes
with a set of signed drivers that supports certain hardware, some times you
might need to update the driver to for it to be fully supported. XP Pro x64
require that all your devices be 64-bit native. Unfortunately a majority of
the existing 32-bit devices out their don't have drivers but will over time.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
"largeone59" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When you install windows XP, normally the devices that are allready in
> your
> computer (video card, sound card, printer) XP automatically creates the
> drivers and they are up and running perfectly.
>
> I've heard that there are some driver issues with xp64. Would the devices
> automatically work as in XP, or will there be problems and have to
> download
> special drivers?
>
> I was going to put xp64 on an older computer (Pentium II, windows 9,
> which
> has older devices on it, and i was wondering if i had to download special
> drivers. If i have to, i probably won't install xp64 since the companies
> aren't going to make special drivers for products distributed in 1998...
>

> Thanks!!!
>
> -largeone59

Charlie Russel - MVP

For those devices that have drivers built in to the OS, XP x64 Edition works
exactly the same as XP 32-bit. Where there aren't drivers, you're at the
mercy of the vendor. But all that is irrelevent to your case.

XP x64 Edition is a 64-bit operating system. It requires 64-bit HARDWARE to
support it. Period. Your Pentium II is not 64-bit.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64