Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Physical Address Extension (PAE) for Windows XP X64 Edition

Physical Address Extension (PAE) for Windows XP X64 Edition

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbG50YWxsYQ==?=

I am not a programer. I recently finished building a computer and installing
Window XP X64. There is 4 Gb of RAM and when I do a check system from the
"My computer" Icon it read 2.96 GB. When I do a scan under the help menu
windows detects 4 Gb of RAM. Is this a bug that it shows 2.96 Gb or is there
something that I need to set within windows. Please remember I am not a
programer.

Thanks,
--
Michaelntalla

Dan Koerner

It's a mobo-BIOS problem. See thread "Any list of really working motherboards?", 1/15/06, in this NG.

--
-Dan-

"Michaelntalla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am not a programer. I recently finished building a computer and installing
> Window XP X64. There is 4 Gb of RAM and when I do a check system from the
> "My computer" Icon it read 2.96 GB. When I do a scan under the help menu
> windows detects 4 Gb of RAM. Is this a bug that it shows 2.96 Gb or is there
> something that I need to set within windows. Please remember I am not a
> programer.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Michaelntalla

Charlie Russel - MVP

Covered in the NG already recently. The problem is the PCI cards have
reserved space in the lower 4GB of virtual memory address space. The BIOS
needs to re-map that, and most of them now do, though you may have to find
the switch that does it. Talk to your motherboard vendor.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64