Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > partitions

partitions

=?Utf-8?B?anVsZXM2Ng==?=

do i have to delet the factory partition in order to install a clean
installation of x64??

churin

Unless there is unused partition area in the physical drive, you have to
delete an existing partition to make room for a clean install.

Alternatively, if your present partition is large enough to be reduced
by 10GB or more, you can do so by using a hard drive utility as
Partition Magic, then make a clean install in an unallocated partition
space created as above.

jules66 wrote:
> do i have to delet the factory partition in order to install a clean
> installation of x64??

=?Utf-8?B?anVsZXM2Ng==?=

so i have to delet my factory partition to clean install x64 even thou i
already have alot of unused partition space. i made a back up recovery cd so
if i did'nt like x64 i can reinstall my factory backup cd?

"churin" wrote:

> Unless there is unused partition area in the physical drive, you have to
> delete an existing partition to make room for a clean install.
>
> Alternatively, if your present partition is large enough to be reduced
> by 10GB or more, you can do so by using a hard drive utility as
> Partition Magic, then make a clean install in an unallocated partition
> space created as above.
>
> jules66 wrote:
> > do i have to delet the factory partition in order to install a clean
> > installation of x64??

John Barnes

If you have the space to add an additional partition, you can do that and
leave your old system. You just need to have a cleanly reformatted
partition in order to do your clean install. Many here dual boot.

"jules66" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> so i have to delet my factory partition to clean install x64 even thou i
> already have alot of unused partition space. i made a back up recovery cd
> so
> if i did'nt like x64 i can reinstall my factory backup cd?
>
> "churin" wrote:
>
>> Unless there is unused partition area in the physical drive, you have to
>> delete an existing partition to make room for a clean install.
>>
>> Alternatively, if your present partition is large enough to be reduced
>> by 10GB or more, you can do so by using a hard drive utility as
>> Partition Magic, then make a clean install in an unallocated partition
>> space created as above.
>>
>> jules66 wrote:
>> > do i have to delet the factory partition in order to install a clean
>> > installation of x64??

=?Utf-8?B?anVsZXM2Ng==?=

thanks for all the info gentlemen. glenn.

"John Barnes" wrote:

> If you have the space to add an additional partition, you can do that and
> leave your old system. You just need to have a cleanly reformatted
> partition in order to do your clean install. Many here dual boot.
>
> "jules66" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > so i have to delet my factory partition to clean install x64 even thou i
> > already have alot of unused partition space. i made a back up recovery cd
> > so
> > if i did'nt like x64 i can reinstall my factory backup cd?
> >
> > "churin" wrote:
> >
> >> Unless there is unused partition area in the physical drive, you have to
> >> delete an existing partition to make room for a clean install.
> >>
> >> Alternatively, if your present partition is large enough to be reduced
> >> by 10GB or more, you can do so by using a hard drive utility as
> >> Partition Magic, then make a clean install in an unallocated partition
> >> space created as above.

Tony Sperling

Doesn't it sound as one partition with lots of space, though? Is this the
case, you have to get third party software to re-size the partition. If you
have a Linux Cover Disk, you can make the re-sizing from the installation,
then abort the installation if you don't want to have it around. This is
more work, but a more flexible solution, as it let's you dual-boot as John
suggests.

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you have the space to add an additional partition, you can do that and
> leave your old system. You just need to have a cleanly reformatted
> partition in order to do your clean install. Many here dual boot.
>
> "jules66" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> so i have to delet my factory partition to clean install x64 even thou i
>> already have alot of unused partition space. i made a back up recovery cd
>> so
>> if i did'nt like x64 i can reinstall my factory backup cd?
>>
>> "churin" wrote:
>>
>>> Unless there is unused partition area in the physical drive, you have to
>>> delete an existing partition to make room for a clean install.
>>>
>>> Alternatively, if your present partition is large enough to be reduced
>>> by 10GB or more, you can do so by using a hard drive utility as
>>> Partition Magic, then make a clean install in an unallocated partition
>>> space created as above.

Boskey

Are you talking about the normal boot partition or the hidden system restore
partition which is common to Dells, Gateways, Compaq, and others? I
wouldn't think it necessary to delete these restore partitions, particularly
since they are not active partitions, their hidden, and you don't normally
boot to them anyway. I should think that formatting your current boot
partition and installing Win XP64 in this circumstance would be a clean
install. This would allow you to do a system restore should you find XP64
not to your liking. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

"jules66" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> so i have to delet my factory partition to clean install x64 even thou i
> already have alot of unused partition space. i made a back up recovery cd
> so
> if i did'nt like x64 i can reinstall my factory backup cd?
>
> "churin" wrote:
>
>> Unless there is unused partition area in the physical drive, you have to
>> delete an existing partition to make room for a clean install.
>>
>> Alternatively, if your present partition is large enough to be reduced
>> by 10GB or more, you can do so by using a hard drive utility as
>> Partition Magic, then make a clean install in an unallocated partition
>> space created as above.
>>
>> jules66 wrote:
>> > do i have to delet the factory partition in order to install a clean
>> > installation of x64??

=?Utf-8?B?anVsZXM2Ng==?=

hidden system restore partition boskey.

"Boskey" wrote:

> Are you talking about the normal boot partition or the hidden system restore
> partition which is common to Dells, Gateways, Compaq, and others? I
> wouldn't think it necessary to delete these restore partitions, particularly
> since they are not active partitions, their hidden, and you don't normally
> boot to them anyway. I should think that formatting your current boot
> partition and installing Win XP64 in this circumstance would be a clean
> install. This would allow you to do a system restore should you find XP64
> not to your liking. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
>
> "jules66" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > so i have to delet my factory partition to clean install x64 even thou i
> > already have alot of unused partition space. i made a back up recovery cd
> > so
> > if i did'nt like x64 i can reinstall my factory backup cd?
> >
> > "churin" wrote:
> >
> >> Unless there is unused partition area in the physical drive, you have to
> >> delete an existing partition to make room for a clean install.
> >>
> >> Alternatively, if your present partition is large enough to be reduced
> >> by 10GB or more, you can do so by using a hard drive utility as
> >> Partition Magic, then make a clean install in an unallocated partition
> >> space created as above.

churin

Do not cut the bridge by deleting the system restore partition so that
you can come back to WXP x86 if you want in the future. Just delete or
format the partition where WXP x86 presently resides and install WXP x64
there.

jules66 wrote:
> hidden system restore partition boskey.
>
> "Boskey" wrote:
>

>>Are you talking about the normal boot partition or the hidden system restore
>>partition which is common to Dells, Gateways, Compaq, and others? I
>>wouldn't think it necessary to delete these restore partitions, particularly
>>since they are not active partitions, their hidden, and you don't normally
>>boot to them anyway. I should think that formatting your current boot
>>partition and installing Win XP64 in this circumstance would be a clean
>>install. This would allow you to do a system restore should you find XP64
>>not to your liking. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
>>
>>"jules66" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>so i have to delet my factory partition to clean install x64 even thou i
>>>already have alot of unused partition space. i made a back up recovery cd
>>>so
>>>if i did'nt like x64 i can reinstall my factory backup cd?

Boskey

Yes Jules, a hidden restore partition. A quick check of my fathers Dell
shows two partitions, one not accessible normally unless he needs to do a
system restore - placing all the drivers, junk programs, all back to the
original as shipped condition. http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/ How
would you like your crow served?