Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > DHCP not working at all on XP Pro 64 bit with a router

DHCP not working at all on XP Pro 64 bit with a router

=?Utf-8?B?U3ByaW50?=

I have a Netgear wireless router thats been working fine. I recently added a
new AMD 64 system with XP Pro 64bit. The system has two gigabit ethernet
cards, one is from Marvell the other is nVidia. When set to DHCP they never
recieve a IP address. Both have the 64bit device drivers, both have the
latest ones released. Other computers are pulling IP's just fine but the
XPx64 system wount. So I manually assigned a IP, SM, GW, and DNS numbers and
internet access works perfectly. I tried uninstalling TCP/IP, the network
devices themselves, switching from DHCP back and forth to static and nothing
lets the machine pull a address but it works fine static. Its like DHCP just
doesn't work on x64 on this machine. Anyone have any ideas? Its been like
this since installing.

Barb Bowman

have you checked the manufacturers web sites for updated drivers for
x64?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Rick

I don't have a solution for your problem with Win x64 and DHCP.

However, after having several problems with DHCP when I first set up my
home wireless network about 2 years ago, I decided to stay away from
DHCP. I discovered my neighbors were connecting to my network and
wanted to prevent that.

My cousin had problems with her setup using DHCP. In her case the
neighbors signal would cause her computer to switch to the neighbor's
network. It caused problems, especially when downloading files. It
took awhile to figure out what was going on, but when we switch to
manually assigned IPs on all the computers virtually all her problems
disappeared.

Sprint wrote:
> I have a Netgear wireless router thats been working fine. I recently added a
> new AMD 64 system with XP Pro 64bit. The system has two gigabit ethernet
> cards, one is from Marvell the other is nVidia. When set to DHCP they never
> recieve a IP address. Both have the 64bit device drivers, both have the
> latest ones released. Other computers are pulling IP's just fine but the
> XPx64 system wount. So I manually assigned a IP, SM, GW, and DNS numbers and
> internet access works perfectly. I tried uninstalling TCP/IP, the network
> devices themselves, switching from DHCP back and forth to static and nothing
> lets the machine pull a address but it works fine static. Its like DHCP just
> doesn't work on x64 on this machine. Anyone have any ideas? Its been like
> this since installing.

Tony Sperling

I doubt it, that this is inherent to DHCP, you can have static IP adresses
too that way, and I do believe you can have dynamic adressing without any
DHCP???

And to Sprint: DHCP works brilliantly here, I see nVidia being mentioned -
is this the good old firewall bug perchance?

Tony. . .

news:eEZn4%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I don't have a solution for your problem with Win x64 and DHCP.
>
> However, after having several problems with DHCP when I first set up my
> home wireless network about 2 years ago, I decided to stay away from DHCP.
> I discovered my neighbors were connecting to my network and wanted to
> prevent that.
>
> My cousin had problems with her setup using DHCP. In her case the
> neighbors signal would cause her computer to switch to the neighbor's
> network. It caused problems, especially when downloading files. It took
> awhile to figure out what was going on, but when we switch to manually
> assigned IPs on all the computers virtually all her problems disappeared.
>

> Sprint wrote:
>> I have a Netgear wireless router thats been working fine. I recently
>> added a new AMD 64 system with XP Pro 64bit. The system has two gigabit
>> ethernet cards, one is from Marvell the other is nVidia. When set to
>> DHCP they never recieve a IP address. Both have the 64bit device
>> drivers, both have the latest ones released. Other computers are pulling
>> IP's just fine but the XPx64 system wount. So I manually assigned a IP,
>> SM, GW, and DNS numbers and internet access works perfectly. I tried
>> uninstalling TCP/IP, the network devices themselves, switching from DHCP
>> back and forth to static and nothing lets the machine pull a address but
>> it works fine static. Its like DHCP just doesn't work on x64 on this
>> machine. Anyone have any ideas? Its been like this since installing.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

"I discovered my neighbors were connecting to my network and wanted to
prevent that."

Sharing is caring.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

news:eEZn4%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I don't have a solution for your problem with Win x64 and DHCP.
>
> However, after having several problems with DHCP when I first set up my
> home wireless network about 2 years ago, I decided to stay away from DHCP.
> I discovered my neighbors were connecting to my network and wanted to
> prevent that.
>
> My cousin had problems with her setup using DHCP. In her case the
> neighbors signal would cause her computer to switch to the neighbor's
> network. It caused problems, especially when downloading files. It took
> awhile to figure out what was going on, but when we switch to manually
> assigned IPs on all the computers virtually all her problems disappeared.
>

> Sprint wrote:
>> I have a Netgear wireless router thats been working fine. I recently
>> added a new AMD 64 system with XP Pro 64bit. The system has two gigabit
>> ethernet cards, one is from Marvell the other is nVidia. When set to
>> DHCP they never recieve a IP address. Both have the 64bit device
>> drivers, both have the latest ones released. Other computers are pulling
>> IP's just fine but the XPx64 system wount. So I manually assigned a IP,
>> SM, GW, and DNS numbers and internet access works perfectly. I tried
>> uninstalling TCP/IP, the network devices themselves, switching from DHCP
>> back and forth to static and nothing lets the machine pull a address but
>> it works fine static. Its like DHCP just doesn't work on x64 on this
>> machine. Anyone have any ideas? Its been like this since installing.

Rick

I guess if you want to provide free internet service to your neighbors,
then that's your prerogative. Since I have to pay for mine, let the
neighbors pay for their own, and, I don't claim them as dependents on my
income tax!

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> "I discovered my neighbors were connecting to my network and wanted to
> prevent that."
>
> Sharing is caring.

Dominic Payer

Do you have the nVidia firewall installed? If so, uninstall it and rely on
the Windows firewall.

The nVidia firewall is known to cause unexplained network access problems,
and the recommendation is to install and then uninstall it as it appears
that not installing it leaves some settings in a non-working state.

"Sprint" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Netgear wireless router thats been working fine. I recently added
> new AMD 64 system with XP Pro 64bit. The system has two gigabit ethernet
> cards, one is from Marvell the other is nVidia. When set to DHCP they
> never
> recieve a IP address. Both have the 64bit device drivers, both have the
> latest ones released. Other computers are pulling IP's just fine but the
> XPx64 system wount. So I manually assigned a IP, SM, GW, and DNS numbers
> and
> internet access works perfectly. I tried uninstalling TCP/IP, the network
> devices themselves, switching from DHCP back and forth to static and
> nothing
> lets the machine pull a address but it works fine static. Its like DHCP
> just
> doesn't work on x64 on this machine. Anyone have any ideas? Its been
> like
> this since installing.

Charlie Russel - MVP

What Dominic says. Uninistall the nVidia firewall. If you haven't installed
it, INSTALL it, and then UNinstall it. I know, it makes no sense. But do it
anyway.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Sprint wrote:
> I have a Netgear wireless router thats been working fine. I recently
> added a new AMD 64 system with XP Pro 64bit. The system has two gigabit
> ethernet cards, one is from Marvell the other is nVidia. When set to
> DHCP they never recieve a IP address. Both have the 64bit device
> drivers, both have the latest ones released. Other computers are pulling
> IP's just fine but the XPx64 system wount. So I manually assigned a IP,
> SM, GW, and DNS numbers and internet access works perfectly. I tried
> uninstalling TCP/IP, the network devices themselves, switching from DHCP
> back and forth to static and nothing lets the machine pull a address but
> it works fine static. Its like DHCP just doesn't work on x64 on this
> machine. Anyone have any ideas? Its been like this since installing.

=?Utf-8?B?QnVnRWQ=?=

I also have a netgear router, and also pick up two different neighbors on it.
they way to shut them out is use the WEP.

I also have 2 computers on x64 both with AMD64 processors and have no
problems with DHCP. My only problem is getting the wireless PCI cards to
work in x64. Ed
--
Ed Cooper user

"Dominic Payer" wrote:

> Do you have the nVidia firewall installed? If so, uninstall it and rely on
> the Windows firewall.
>
> The nVidia firewall is known to cause unexplained network access problems,
> and the recommendation is to install and then uninstall it as it appears
> that not installing it leaves some settings in a non-working state.
>

> "Sprint" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a Netgear wireless router thats been working fine. I recently added
> > new AMD 64 system with XP Pro 64bit. The system has two gigabit ethernet
> > cards, one is from Marvell the other is nVidia. When set to DHCP they
> > never
> > recieve a IP address. Both have the 64bit device drivers, both have the
> > latest ones released. Other computers are pulling IP's just fine but the
> > XPx64 system wount. So I manually assigned a IP, SM, GW, and DNS numbers
> > and
> > internet access works perfectly. I tried uninstalling TCP/IP, the network
> > devices themselves, switching from DHCP back and forth to static and
> > nothing
> > lets the machine pull a address but it works fine static. Its like DHCP
> > just
> > doesn't work on x64 on this machine. Anyone have any ideas? Its been
> > like
> > this since installing.

M. Murcek

Shouldn't turning on WEP and assigning a key take care of the free-riders?

news:%23MEA%(E-Mail Removed)...