Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Formatting a 250 GB Hard drive

Reply
Thread Tools

Formatting a 250 GB Hard drive

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?UiBTbWl0aA==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-29-2006
When I installed Windows XP Professional x64 Edition on a new HITACHI
Deskstar Hard Drive, at the time of installation it stated that the largest
partition that it would format was 130 GB and after installation I would be
able to create a new drive using the balance of the drive. Everything
installed and is working great.
But knowI have not been able to find out to create the second partition or
drive.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?UiBTbWl0aA==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-29-2006
The new hard drive is a 250 GB

"R Smith" wrote:

> When I installed Windows XP Professional x64 Edition on a new HITACHI
> Deskstar Hard Drive, at the time of installation it stated that the largest
> partition that it would format was 130 GB and after installation I would be
> able to create a new drive using the balance of the drive. Everything
> installed and is working great.
> But knowI have not been able to find out to create the second partition or
> drive.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-29-2006
Use the manage console
Right click "My Computer >Manage> in the console window on the left
choose disk management.
In the window on the right find the space representing the un-partitioned /
unformatted
area of your disk and right click to partition that partition or format as
is.


"R Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The new hard drive is a 250 GB
>
> "R Smith" wrote:
>
> > When I installed Windows XP Professional x64 Edition on a new HITACHI
> > Deskstar Hard Drive, at the time of installation it stated that the

largest
> > partition that it would format was 130 GB and after installation I would

be
> > able to create a new drive using the balance of the drive. Everything
> > installed and is working great.
> > But knowI have not been able to find out to create the second partition

or
> > drive.
> >



 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?UiBTbWl0aA==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2006
Thanks Patrick, that worked great. So simple if you just know where to find it.
Thanks again


"Patrick" wrote:

> Use the manage console
> Right click "My Computer >Manage> in the console window on the left
> choose disk management.
> In the window on the right find the space representing the un-partitioned /
> unformatted
> area of your disk and right click to partition that partition or format as
> is.
>
>
> "R Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The new hard drive is a 250 GB
> >
> > "R Smith" wrote:
> >
> > > When I installed Windows XP Professional x64 Edition on a new HITACHI
> > > Deskstar Hard Drive, at the time of installation it stated that the

> largest
> > > partition that it would format was 130 GB and after installation I would

> be
> > > able to create a new drive using the balance of the drive. Everything
> > > installed and is working great.
> > > But knowI have not been able to find out to create the second partition

> or
> > > drive.
> > >

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2006
No Problem - happy to be of help.

But I have a question, if I may?
When you created the installation partition - what size did you decide on?

"R Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Patrick, that worked great. So simple if you just know where to

find it.
> Thanks again
>
>
> "Patrick" wrote:
>
> > Use the manage console
> > Right click "My Computer >Manage> in the console window on the left
> > choose disk management.
> > In the window on the right find the space representing the

un-partitioned /
> > unformatted
> > area of your disk and right click to partition that partition or format

as
> > is.
> >
> >
> > "R Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > The new hard drive is a 250 GB
> > >
> > > "R Smith" wrote:
> > >
> > > > When I installed Windows XP Professional x64 Edition on a new

HITACHI
> > > > Deskstar Hard Drive, at the time of installation it stated that the

> > largest
> > > > partition that it would format was 130 GB and after installation I

would
> > be
> > > > able to create a new drive using the balance of the drive.

Everything
> > > > installed and is working great.
> > > > But knowI have not been able to find out to create the second

partition
> > or
> > > > drive.
> > > >

> >
> >
> >



 
Reply With Quote
 
Rick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2006
You should have been able to use the entire 250GB if you wanted to
during installation. You may need to change a setting in your BIOS. I
have installed Win x64, and Win XP w/SP2, on 160GB and 250GB HDDs and
was able to partition and use the entire drive during setup.


R Smith wrote:
> When I installed Windows XP Professional x64 Edition on a new HITACHI
> Deskstar Hard Drive, at the time of installation it stated that the largest
> partition that it would format was 130 GB and after installation I would be
> able to create a new drive using the balance of the drive. Everything
> installed and is working great.
> But knowI have not been able to find out to create the second partition or
> drive.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VoipSWITCH 2.0.0.915+All Latest Modules+Hosted In Just 250$/pm,Now Start Your Own Calling Card/CallCentre/Pc2Phone/Ani,Sms,Web CallBack/Portal/VoiceMail/CallShop/OnlineShop/VSR/VSC/Ivr Business In Just 250$ solution4voip VOIP 0 11-12-2007 10:57 PM
VoipSWITCH 2.0.0.915+All Latest Modules+Hosted In Just 250$/pm,Now Start Your Own Calling Card/CallCentre/Pc2Phone/Ani,Sms,Web CallBack/CallShop/OnlineShop/VSR/VSC/Ivr Business In Just 250$ solution4voip VOIP 0 11-12-2007 10:39 PM
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250 GB Hard Drive Review at XYZ Computing Silverstrand Front Page News 0 11-24-2005 06:28 AM
255.250.250.239 DZN Computer Support 5 12-28-2004 11:44 PM
Need formatting options menu for formatting hard drive Mark T. Computer Support 3 11-24-2003 11:50 PM



Advertisments