Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Random reboots under Windows x64, HELP.

Random reboots under Windows x64, HELP.

bigred

Hi,

I own an Athlon x2 processor (4400+) and I'm currently running Windows
XP Pro sp1 x64.

My system specs are as follows:

Asus A8n32-SLI Deluxe MB
Asus EN7800GTX Nvidia 256 Mb video card
4 x 512 mb PC4000 OCZ Gold Rev. 2 Ram
250Gb WD 16 Mb SATA2 HDD
500 watt Antec Fanless power supply
creative x-Fi sound blaster Xtreme Music Sound card

plus all the usual peripherals etc..

I have a problem with my ssytem that is driving me insane and I wonder
if anyone here can help me.

My problem is as follows: My system randomly reboots itself with out
any warning. The reboot are sometimes completely random, as in I'm not
using any software and the computer is just idle and other times tne
reboots occur when I using anything from MS Office to playing a game.
I've scanned my system for viruses and found nothing, I've useed a
bunch of anti spyware programs and deleted anything those programs
found, but still the reboots occur. What's going on???? My ssytem is
relatively new and this is driving me crazy. I've intalled all the 64
bit compatible drivers I can find for my hardware and ther doesnt seem
to be a problem so what gives. Sometimes i get an error in windows
after the reboot that a serious problem occured and that it was
potentialy hardware related. Could it be, if anyone has a clue or
wants to help me out please go ahead.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I wouldn't second guess Windows on this one, its definitely a hardware
issue, but its not easy to determine the cause right now. Have you checked
the Event Viewer to see if there any messages relating to it? Also, do this,
Click Start > Right Click "My Computer > click "Properties" > Advanced (tab)
> click Settings under "Start & Recovery", under "System failure", uncheck

Automatically restart.

The next time the crash occurrs you should see a Blue Screen, with a
detailed STOP Error message, write it down and post back here. The we will
be able to make a better diagnosis.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"bigred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I own an Athlon x2 processor (4400+) and I'm currently running Windows
> XP Pro sp1 x64.
>
> My system specs are as follows:
>
> Asus A8n32-SLI Deluxe MB
> Asus EN7800GTX Nvidia 256 Mb video card
> 4 x 512 mb PC4000 OCZ Gold Rev. 2 Ram
> 250Gb WD 16 Mb SATA2 HDD
> 500 watt Antec Fanless power supply
> creative x-Fi sound blaster Xtreme Music Sound card
>
> plus all the usual peripherals etc..
>
> I have a problem with my ssytem that is driving me insane and I wonder
> if anyone here can help me.
>
> My problem is as follows: My system randomly reboots itself with out
> any warning. The reboot are sometimes completely random, as in I'm not
> using any software and the computer is just idle and other times tne
> reboots occur when I using anything from MS Office to playing a game.
> I've scanned my system for viruses and found nothing, I've useed a
> bunch of anti spyware programs and deleted anything those programs
> found, but still the reboots occur. What's going on???? My ssytem is
> relatively new and this is driving me crazy. I've intalled all the 64
> bit compatible drivers I can find for my hardware and ther doesnt seem
> to be a problem so what gives. Sometimes i get an error in windows
> after the reboot that a serious problem occured and that it was
> potentialy hardware related. Could it be, if anyone has a clue or
> wants to help me out please go ahead.

Patrick

Sounds like "power supply" or video card about to crap out.
Could be memory but I doubt it.
After it reboots go into to system event log and look for errors
prior to reboot sequence that will be logged- if nothing check
the application log to see if anything shows up there.

and
the next time that you idle / step away from the machine and
believe that you have closed all your programs - check to see
that they have indeed all closed - and would further suggest
using "Sysinternals Process Explorer" rather than task manager.
http://www.sysinternals.com/Files/Pr...lorerAmd64.zip

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I wouldn't second guess Windows on this one, its definitely a hardware
> issue, but its not easy to determine the cause right now. Have you checked
> the Event Viewer to see if there any messages relating to it? Also, do

this,
> Click Start > Right Click "My Computer > click "Properties" > Advanced

(tab)
> > click Settings under "Start & Recovery", under "System failure",

uncheck
> Automatically restart.
>
> The next time the crash occurrs you should see a Blue Screen, with a
> detailed STOP Error message, write it down and post back here. The we will
> be able to make a better diagnosis.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "bigred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I own an Athlon x2 processor (4400+) and I'm currently running Windows
> > XP Pro sp1 x64.
> >
> > My system specs are as follows:
> >
> > Asus A8n32-SLI Deluxe MB
> > Asus EN7800GTX Nvidia 256 Mb video card
> > 4 x 512 mb PC4000 OCZ Gold Rev. 2 Ram
> > 250Gb WD 16 Mb SATA2 HDD
> > 500 watt Antec Fanless power supply
> > creative x-Fi sound blaster Xtreme Music Sound card
> >
> > plus all the usual peripherals etc..
> >
> > I have a problem with my ssytem that is driving me insane and I wonder
> > if anyone here can help me.
> >
> > My problem is as follows: My system randomly reboots itself with out
> > any warning. The reboot are sometimes completely random, as in I'm not
> > using any software and the computer is just idle and other times tne
> > reboots occur when I using anything from MS Office to playing a game.
> > I've scanned my system for viruses and found nothing, I've useed a
> > bunch of anti spyware programs and deleted anything those programs
> > found, but still the reboots occur. What's going on???? My ssytem is
> > relatively new and this is driving me crazy. I've intalled all the 64
> > bit compatible drivers I can find for my hardware and ther doesnt seem
> > to be a problem so what gives. Sometimes i get an error in windows
> > after the reboot that a serious problem occured and that it was
> > potentialy hardware related. Could it be, if anyone has a clue or
> > wants to help me out please go ahead.

Jud Hendrix

On 27 Jan 2006 15:48:54 -0800, "bigred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Asus EN7800GTX Nvidia 256 Mb video card

Apart from power and memory-problems, I notice you are using a Nvidia-card.
What drivers are you using? One of the "leaked" ones? I usually upgrade to
the latest available ones with mt GF6600, and some versions are having
problems which make my system crash, doing something or nothing. The reason
why I suspect the Nvidia-drivers is that after installing a newer version,
the random crashing disappears (until I run into the next buggy version
that is ).

jud

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Try disabling S.M.A.R.T (for hard disk options) in the BIOS.
Carlos

"bigred" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I own an Athlon x2 processor (4400+) and I'm currently running Windows
> XP Pro sp1 x64.
>
> My system specs are as follows:
>
> Asus A8n32-SLI Deluxe MB
> Asus EN7800GTX Nvidia 256 Mb video card
> 4 x 512 mb PC4000 OCZ Gold Rev. 2 Ram
> 250Gb WD 16 Mb SATA2 HDD
> 500 watt Antec Fanless power supply
> creative x-Fi sound blaster Xtreme Music Sound card
>
> plus all the usual peripherals etc..
>
> I have a problem with my ssytem that is driving me insane and I wonder
> if anyone here can help me.
>
> My problem is as follows: My system randomly reboots itself with out
> any warning. The reboot are sometimes completely random, as in I'm not
> using any software and the computer is just idle and other times tne
> reboots occur when I using anything from MS Office to playing a game.
> I've scanned my system for viruses and found nothing, I've useed a
> bunch of anti spyware programs and deleted anything those programs
> found, but still the reboots occur. What's going on???? My ssytem is
> relatively new and this is driving me crazy. I've intalled all the 64
> bit compatible drivers I can find for my hardware and ther doesnt seem
> to be a problem so what gives. Sometimes i get an error in windows
> after the reboot that a serious problem occured and that it was
> potentialy hardware related. Could it be, if anyone has a clue or
> wants to help me out please go ahead.

bigred

I use the drivers from the official Nvidia website. I am using version
81.98 for win x64.

bigred

Thanks I will. Gosh I'm really worried that it might be my video card,
I doubt its the power supply. That baby runs great. But the video
card worries me. Its a great powerful cards, but also quite hot and
even in standard un overclocked mode it takes alot of juice.

I ll post my error dump next time i get one.

bigred

Well it happened...again.

I got a blue screen upon rebooting the computer and it told me that
there was some kind of hardware problem with a component, possibly my
video adapter. Nothing else just that i should attempt to use a
different one.

After rebooting again, i got a window pop up asking me to upload an
error report to microsoft. I jotted down what the technical stuff
about the error said:

Error Signature:

BCCode: 3b BCP1: 00000000C000001D BCP2: FFFFF8000104628A
BCP3: FFFFFADFB0545330 BCP4: 0000000000000000

OSVer: 5_2_3790
S_P: 1_0
Product: 256_1

I also have a .dmp file too, but its too large though to post and
contains garbage symbols only from what i can tell.

Tony Sperling

I suggest you check how that card get's it's current, you may be using a
'splitter' cable that takes it's current from another consumer - you should
see that you have a clean direct supply from the PSU. If you are out of
connectors, then split something else!

You may also need a couple of big'n good case-fans - one in front that
inhales and one in the back, behind the video card that exhales.

Tony. . .

"bigred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>I use the drivers from the official Nvidia website. I am using version
> 81.98 for win x64.

Jud Hendrix

On 27 Jan 2006 20:03:28 -0800, "bigred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I use the drivers from the official Nvidia website. I am using version
>81.98 for win x64.

In my situation that version ran fine. If you tried the suggestions of
others regarding hardware, and they won't work, and you want to play around
with the drivers, on http://www.guru3d.com you can find older and newer
versions of the driver. These drivers are official ones (which you can also
download from Nvidia), and leaked ones. Good luck (it sounds like an
annoying problem for you).

jud