Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows XP Professional X64

Windows XP Professional X64

Dennis Pack

Cynicism is a natural reaction if everything doesn't function as
anticipated. When I was younger in the automotive repair industry my uncle
in marketing told me that I was too cynical because I was only seeing the
problems and not looking at the overall picture. At the time I disagreed
with him because I was seeing the problems daily. Now 30 years later I'm
still in the repair industry as a consultant and still seeing problems. The
main thing that I've learned is that my biggest job is to fight cynicism,
find the repair and appreciate the majority of the vehicles that don't have
the problem that I'm repairing.

Windows XP Professional X64 is a cynics delight and dream because finding
things that don't work or react as anticipated is easier than finding out
what works with more stability. Research is the best tool available but
never used because it's easier to be a cynic and criticize.

A great vote of gratitude is owed to all the volunteers and MS employees
that have been giving their time, effort and research to help find solutions
to problems that exist and try to work around the lack of support from the
hardware manufacturers that has been common. Thanks to people like this we've
progressed from limited and unstable operating systems that date back before
Windows 3.1.

The best advice to anyone interested in Windows XP Professional X64 is to
determine needs, research drivers and programs then try the system and have
fun. Even though it requires more work than being cynical and criticizing
the operating system. (Note: extra time taken using Word for spell-check 1.5
seconds)

Charlie Russel - MVP

Sound advice, Dennis. Though I've been accused of being a cynic more than
once, myself. But there's plenty of places where it's appropriate, and I
don't need it here.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Dennis Pack wrote:
> Cynicism is a natural reaction if everything doesn't function as
> anticipated. When I was younger in the automotive repair industry my uncle
> in marketing told me that I was too cynical because I was only seeing the
> problems and not looking at the overall picture. At the time I disagreed
> with him because I was seeing the problems daily. Now 30 years later I'm
> still in the repair industry as a consultant and still seeing problems.
> The main thing that I've learned is that my biggest job is to fight
> cynicism, find the repair and appreciate the majority of the vehicles
> that don't have the problem that I'm repairing.
>
> Windows XP Professional X64 is a cynics delight and dream because finding
> things that don't work or react as anticipated is easier than finding out
> what works with more stability. Research is the best tool available but
> never used because it's easier to be a cynic and criticize.
>
> A great vote of gratitude is owed to all the volunteers and MS employees
> that have been giving their time, effort and research to help find
> solutions to problems that exist and try to work around the lack of
> support from the hardware manufacturers that has been common. Thanks to
> people like this we've progressed from limited and unstable operating
> systems that date back before Windows 3.1.
>
> The best advice to anyone interested in Windows XP Professional X64 is to
> determine needs, research drivers and programs then try the system and
> have fun. Even though it requires more work than being cynical and
> criticizing the operating system. (Note: extra time taken using Word for
> spell-check 1.5 seconds)

Dennis Gordon

What bugs me are people who aren't users who advise others that 64 bit is
unusable, unreliable and crashes all the time based on nothing but hearsay.
No one has ever forced anyone to use this OS; most of us have entered the
fray fully aware of possible snags. So far, 64 bit has had about as many
inconsistencies as XP 32 bit did back in 2001, before it was widely
deployed. It'll only get better. In the meantime there will always be those
who help and those who snicker... you know who you are...

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sound advice, Dennis. Though I've been accused of being a cynic more than
> once, myself. But there's plenty of places where it's appropriate, and I
> don't need it here.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Dennis Pack wrote:
>> Cynicism is a natural reaction if everything doesn't function as
>> anticipated. When I was younger in the automotive repair industry my
>> uncle
>> in marketing told me that I was too cynical because I was only seeing the
>> problems and not looking at the overall picture. At the time I disagreed
>> with him because I was seeing the problems daily. Now 30 years later I'm
>> still in the repair industry as a consultant and still seeing problems.
>> The main thing that I've learned is that my biggest job is to fight
>> cynicism, find the repair and appreciate the majority of the vehicles
>> that don't have the problem that I'm repairing.
>>
>> Windows XP Professional X64 is a cynics delight and dream because finding
>> things that don't work or react as anticipated is easier than finding out
>> what works with more stability. Research is the best tool available but
>> never used because it's easier to be a cynic and criticize.
>>
>> A great vote of gratitude is owed to all the volunteers and MS employees
>> that have been giving their time, effort and research to help find
>> solutions to problems that exist and try to work around the lack of
>> support from the hardware manufacturers that has been common. Thanks to
>> people like this we've progressed from limited and unstable operating
>> systems that date back before Windows 3.1.
>>
>> The best advice to anyone interested in Windows XP Professional X64 is to
>> determine needs, research drivers and programs then try the system and
>> have fun. Even though it requires more work than being cynical and
>> criticizing the operating system. (Note: extra time taken using Word for
>> spell-check 1.5 seconds)

Rick

I guess the ones your refer to are either one or both of the following:

- they believe any rumors as truth and don't try to find the real truth

or

- they think this is a perfect world and expect everything to be both
perfect and handed to them on a silver platter

It has never occurred to either group to be resourceful and do something
for themselves! It's much easier to criticize and make derogatory remarks!

Dennis Gordon wrote:
> What bugs me are people who aren't users who advise others that 64 bit is
> unusable, unreliable and crashes all the time based on nothing but hearsay.
> No one has ever forced anyone to use this OS; most of us have entered the
> fray fully aware of possible snags. So far, 64 bit has had about as many
> inconsistencies as XP 32 bit did back in 2001, before it was widely
> deployed. It'll only get better. In the meantime there will always be those
> who help and those who snicker... you know who you are...

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sound advice, Dennis. Though I've been accused of being a cynic more than
>> once, myself. But there's plenty of places where it's appropriate, and I
>> don't need it here.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Dennis Pack wrote:
>>> Cynicism is a natural reaction if everything doesn't function as
>>> anticipated. When I was younger in the automotive repair industry my
>>> uncle
>>> in marketing told me that I was too cynical because I was only seeing the
>>> problems and not looking at the overall picture. At the time I disagreed
>>> with him because I was seeing the problems daily. Now 30 years later I'm
>>> still in the repair industry as a consultant and still seeing problems.
>>> The main thing that I've learned is that my biggest job is to fight
>>> cynicism, find the repair and appreciate the majority of the vehicles
>>> that don't have the problem that I'm repairing.
>>>
>>> Windows XP Professional X64 is a cynics delight and dream because finding
>>> things that don't work or react as anticipated is easier than finding out
>>> what works with more stability. Research is the best tool available but
>>> never used because it's easier to be a cynic and criticize.
>>>
>>> A great vote of gratitude is owed to all the volunteers and MS employees
>>> that have been giving their time, effort and research to help find
>>> solutions to problems that exist and try to work around the lack of
>>> support from the hardware manufacturers that has been common. Thanks to
>>> people like this we've progressed from limited and unstable operating
>>> systems that date back before Windows 3.1.
>>>
>>> The best advice to anyone interested in Windows XP Professional X64 is to
>>> determine needs, research drivers and programs then try the system and
>>> have fun. Even though it requires more work than being cynical and
>>> criticizing the operating system. (Note: extra time taken using Word for
>>> spell-check 1.5 seconds)

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes. Actually, even though I do occasionally let them get to me, I actually
think this newsgroup is far better than most. It has a hard core of serious
and always present folks trying to help, a "soft core" of frequent but
helpful users, and very few trolls. I think I only have a single entry in my
kill file at this point. I can tell you, some other NGs are not as good.
Either there's no one there to help, or there are so many problems that it
becomes hard to actually help someone. Here we have folks at varying levels,
but a good collective memory for things we've seen before. And when we do
get something we don't know, there are folks like Darrell who jump in and
dig us out.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Dennis Gordon wrote:
> What bugs me are people who aren't users who advise others that 64 bit is
> unusable, unreliable and crashes all the time based on nothing but
> hearsay. No one has ever forced anyone to use this OS; most of us have
> entered the fray fully aware of possible snags. So far, 64 bit has had
> about as many inconsistencies as XP 32 bit did back in 2001, before it
> was widely deployed. It'll only get better. In the meantime there will
> always be those who help and those who snicker... you know who you
> are...

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sound advice, Dennis. Though I've been accused of being a cynic more than
>> once, myself. But there's plenty of places where it's appropriate, and I
>> don't need it here.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Dennis Pack wrote:
>>> Cynicism is a natural reaction if everything doesn't function as
>>> anticipated. When I was younger in the automotive repair industry my
>>> uncle
>>> in marketing told me that I was too cynical because I was only seeing
>>> the problems and not looking at the overall picture. At the time I
>>> disagreed with him because I was seeing the problems daily. Now 30
>>> years later I'm still in the repair industry as a consultant and still
>>> seeing problems. The main thing that I've learned is that my biggest
>>> job is to fight cynicism, find the repair and appreciate the majority
>>> of the vehicles that don't have the problem that I'm repairing.
>>>
>>> Windows XP Professional X64 is a cynics delight and dream because
>>> finding things that don't work or react as anticipated is easier than
>>> finding out what works with more stability. Research is the best tool
>>> available but never used because it's easier to be a cynic and
>>> criticize. A great vote of gratitude is owed to all the volunteers and
>>> MS employees
>>> that have been giving their time, effort and research to help find
>>> solutions to problems that exist and try to work around the lack of
>>> support from the hardware manufacturers that has been common. Thanks to
>>> people like this we've progressed from limited and unstable operating
>>> systems that date back before Windows 3.1.
>>>
>>> The best advice to anyone interested in Windows XP Professional X64 is
>>> to determine needs, research drivers and programs then try the system
>>> and have fun. Even though it requires more work than being cynical and
>>> criticizing the operating system. (Note: extra time taken using Word for
>>> spell-check 1.5 seconds)

comptia

"Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> What bugs me are people who aren't users who advise others that 64 bit is
> unusable, unreliable and crashes all the time based on nothing but
> hearsay. No one has ever forced anyone to use this OS; most of us have
> entered the fray fully aware of possible snags. So far, 64 bit has had
> about as many inconsistencies as XP 32 bit did back in 2001, before it was
> widely deployed. It'll only get better. In the meantime there will always
> be those who help and those who snicker... you know who you are...

Thanks for the input, Gordy. I don't know what to say.

ChrisC

Hi, and it's quite lighthearted sometimes, especially from you guys, which
makes a for a pleasant change....
ChrisC
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes. Actually, even though I do occasionally let them get to me, I
> actually think this newsgroup is far better than most. It has a hard core
> of serious and always present folks trying to help, a "soft core" of
> frequent but helpful users, and very few trolls. I think I only have a
> single entry in my kill file at this point. I can tell you, some other NGs
> are not as good. Either there's no one there to help, or there are so many
> problems that it becomes hard to actually help someone. Here we have folks
> at varying levels, but a good collective memory for things we've seen
> before. And when we do get something we don't know, there are folks like
> Darrell who jump in and dig us out.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Dennis Gordon wrote:
>> What bugs me are people who aren't users who advise others that 64 bit is
>> unusable, unreliable and crashes all the time based on nothing but
>> hearsay. No one has ever forced anyone to use this OS; most of us have
>> entered the fray fully aware of possible snags. So far, 64 bit has had
>> about as many inconsistencies as XP 32 bit did back in 2001, before it
>> was widely deployed. It'll only get better. In the meantime there will
>> always be those who help and those who snicker... you know who you
>> are...

>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Sound advice, Dennis. Though I've been accused of being a cynic more
>>> than
>>> once, myself. But there's plenty of places where it's appropriate, and I
>>> don't need it here.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Charlie Russel - MVP

Well, we have to have a little fun with each other. Helps ease the load. And
reminds us that if we're not having fun, we shouldn't be here. Life is too
short.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64