Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XP 64 Retail Stops

XP 64 Retail Stops

=?Utf-8?B?RG9uIEY=?=

When I am installing xp 64 - bit on my computer it stops when installing
drivers.
I have an asus p5ad2 deluxe motherboard
Intel 660 em64t processor
3 GB ram
Ati x600 video card
2- WD 74 GB raptors running in Intel raid striped

Charlie Russel - MVP

I'm sorry, Don, but it's unclear to me where the problem occurs. Can you get
into the machine far enough to get at log files (possibly with a dual boot
to 32-bit windows?). Beyond that, you'll need:

1.) The absolute latest BIOS from ASUS.
2.) Appropriate drivers for your Intel RAID.
3.) Probably updated drivers for your ATI, though it sounds like you're not
getting that far.
4.) Do the install with ALL USB devices disconnected, please. Especially any
device that may be seen as a storage device, such as a card reader, USB key,
etc. But if you can, please find a PS/2 keyboard and mouse as well and use
them. We have seen issues with installs failing because of USB devices.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Don F wrote:
> When I am installing xp 64 - bit on my computer it stops when installing
> drivers.
> I have an asus p5ad2 deluxe motherboard
> Intel 660 em64t processor
> 3 GB ram
> Ati x600 video card
> 2- WD 74 GB raptors running in Intel raid striped

=?Utf-8?B?RG9uIEY=?=

Thanks I will try a different keyboard and mouse though my bios says it
supports them in legacy. I will remove my camera etc. I cannot get too a log
file. I restarted the setup 10 times and it seemed to fail in the same place,
about 30 - 34 minutes left.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> I'm sorry, Don, but it's unclear to me where the problem occurs. Can you get
> into the machine far enough to get at log files (possibly with a dual boot
> to 32-bit windows?). Beyond that, you'll need:
>
> 1.) The absolute latest BIOS from ASUS.
> 2.) Appropriate drivers for your Intel RAID.
> 3.) Probably updated drivers for your ATI, though it sounds like you're not
> getting that far.
> 4.) Do the install with ALL USB devices disconnected, please. Especially any
> device that may be seen as a storage device, such as a card reader, USB key,
> etc. But if you can, please find a PS/2 keyboard and mouse as well and use
> them. We have seen issues with installs failing because of USB devices.
>

> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Don F wrote:
> > When I am installing xp 64 - bit on my computer it stops when installing
> > drivers.
> > I have an asus p5ad2 deluxe motherboard
> > Intel 660 em64t processor
> > 3 GB ram
> > Ati x600 video card
> > 2- WD 74 GB raptors running in Intel raid striped

Charlie Russel - MVP

I'm betting it's the camera, which it will see as a storage device. But
let's get them all out of there and try again. Thanks.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Don F wrote:
> Thanks I will try a different keyboard and mouse though my bios says it
> supports them in legacy. I will remove my camera etc. I cannot get too a
> log file. I restarted the setup 10 times and it seemed to fail in the
> same place, about 30 - 34 minutes left.
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry, Don, but it's unclear to me where the problem occurs. Can you
>> get into the machine far enough to get at log files (possibly with a
>> dual boot to 32-bit windows?). Beyond that, you'll need:
>>
>> 1.) The absolute latest BIOS from ASUS.
>> 2.) Appropriate drivers for your Intel RAID.
>> 3.) Probably updated drivers for your ATI, though it sounds like you're
>> not getting that far.
>> 4.) Do the install with ALL USB devices disconnected, please. Especially
>> any device that may be seen as a storage device, such as a card reader,
>> USB key, etc. But if you can, please find a PS/2 keyboard and mouse as
>> well and use them. We have seen issues with installs failing because of
>> USB devices.
>>

>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Don F wrote:
>>> When I am installing xp 64 - bit on my computer it stops when installing
>>> drivers.
>>> I have an asus p5ad2 deluxe motherboard
>>> Intel 660 em64t processor
>>> 3 GB ram
>>> Ati x600 video card
>>> 2- WD 74 GB raptors running in Intel raid striped

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
We are in the middle of PnP detection so simplifying the machine is very
helpful when we have problems like,

If it still hangs, do a Shift - F10, which should open a CMD window.
you should be able to use notepad to see what are in the setup log files.
Of particular interest would be>
The last 10-20 lines of:
\Windows\Setupapi.log
\Windows\PnPlog.txt
\Windows\Setuplog.txt
Possibly also \Windows\setupact.log
Pnplog.txt is the really interesting one, if you have a PnP detection that
is failing this log file gets generated on the reboot, IT should point to
what was being detected at the time of the hang. Ideally we try to skip
the device causing problems on reboots, so each reboot we try to skip the
next device in the chain. However if we are just ennumerating devices we
may not have devices to skip. ( USB chain would be an example, parallel
ports would be another)
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)>
<Subject: Re: XP 64 Retail Stops
<Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 13:53:34 -0800
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<
<I'm betting it's the camera, which it will see as a storage device. But
<let's get them all out of there and try again. Thanks.
<
<--
<Charlie.
<http://msmvps.com/xperts64
<
<Don F wrote:
<> Thanks I will try a different keyboard and mouse though my bios says it
<> supports them in legacy. I will remove my camera etc. I cannot get too a
<> log file. I restarted the setup 10 times and it seemed to fail in the
<> same place, about 30 - 34 minutes left.
<>
<> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
<>
<>> I'm sorry, Don, but it's unclear to me where the problem occurs. Can you
<>> get into the machine far enough to get at log files (possibly with a
<>> dual boot to 32-bit windows?). Beyond that, you'll need:
<>>
<>> 1.) The absolute latest BIOS from ASUS.
<>> 2.) Appropriate drivers for your Intel RAID.
<>> 3.) Probably updated drivers for your ATI, though it sounds like you're
<>> not getting that far.
<>> 4.) Do the install with ALL USB devices disconnected, please. Especially
<>> any device that may be seen as a storage device, such as a card reader,
<>> USB key, etc. But if you can, please find a PS/2 keyboard and mouse as
<>> well and use them. We have seen issues with installs failing because of
<>> USB devices.
<>>
<>>
<>> --
<>> Charlie.
<>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
<>>
<>> Don F wrote:
<>>> When I am installing xp 64 - bit on my computer it stops when
installing
<>>> drivers.
<>>> I have an asus p5ad2 deluxe motherboard
<>>> Intel 660 em64t processor
<>>> 3 GB ram
<>>> Ati x600 video card
<>>> 2- WD 74 GB raptors running in Intel raid striped
<
<
<

Charlie Russel - MVP

Good tip, I always forget about shift-F10.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

is it retail version?? micky ASP .Net 0 12-16-2005 11:05 AM
2732 Activating expired training material on retail version of VPC =?Utf-8?B?c3BpbmZpeGxpeg==?= Microsoft Certification 1 09-01-2005 02:56 PM
Comparison of OEM and Retail Versions of software? Michael Patten Microsoft Certification 5 01-12-2005 03:31 AM
Semi OT: What sort of limitations do SBS 2003 have over retail server and exchange? Sartan Dragonbane MCSE 4 05-11-2004 06:03 PM
Retail Jaime Microsoft Certification 0 03-04-2004 01:50 PM

Advertisments