Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Change in signing policy for 64-bit drivers for Vista and Longhorn

Change in signing policy for 64-bit drivers for Vista and Longhorn

Don Burn

If you are not aware of it Microsoft announced a change in its policy on
drivers for 64-bit Vista last week. See the paper at
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...kmsigning.mspx The
change here is that prior to this while drivers needed to be signed an
administrator could sign a driver for a computer or a domain.

Many people in the driver development community are disturbed by this change
since makes it harder for a small firm to ship and support drivers. In
particular a lot of the freeware tools that have a kernel component will
probably never make it to Vista 64-bit. Also, I know of small firms that
are reconsidering their product plans for Vista. For those who want to see
the discussion in the driver development community, go to
http://www.osronline.com and sign up for the NTDEV newgroup, then look for
"X64 Windows Vista to require signed drivers"

At the end of the paper is the feedback email address for this stuff. If
enough of
us make rational comments to that address, Microsoft may realize there is a
problem.

--
Don Burn (MVP, Windows DDK)
Windows 2k/XP/2k3 Filesystem and Driver Consulting

Andre Da Costa

Why are they charging so much? $500 is lot of money and its not a guarantee
that your Video or Sound card drivers still won't prevent constant crashes
which I am currently experiencing on Vista.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
"Don Burn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you are not aware of it Microsoft announced a change in its policy on
> drivers for 64-bit Vista last week. See the paper at
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...kmsigning.mspx The
> change here is that prior to this while drivers needed to be signed an
> administrator could sign a driver for a computer or a domain.
>
> Many people in the driver development community are disturbed by this
> change since makes it harder for a small firm to ship and support drivers.
> In particular a lot of the freeware tools that have a kernel component
> will probably never make it to Vista 64-bit. Also, I know of small firms
> that are reconsidering their product plans for Vista. For those who want
> to see the discussion in the driver development community, go to
> http://www.osronline.com and sign up for the NTDEV newgroup, then look
> for "X64 Windows Vista to require signed drivers"
>
> At the end of the paper is the feedback email address for this stuff. If
> enough of
> us make rational comments to that address, Microsoft may realize there is
> a problem.
>

> --
> Don Burn (MVP, Windows DDK)
> Windows 2k/XP/2k3 Filesystem and Driver Consulting
> Remove StopSpam from the email to reply

Don Burn

Microsoft is not charging it, they are requiring a Versign ID. Verisign
charges this and does not allow individuals to get them only companies.
Many of the popular tools for Windows debugging and administration came out
of individuals, with this new policy the ability for a person to create and
distribute these is threatened.

--
Don Burn (MVP, Windows DDK)
Windows 2k/XP/2k3 Filesystem and Driver Consulting
Remove StopSpam from the email to reply

"Andre Da Costa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why are they charging so much? $500 is lot of money and its not a
> guarantee that your Video or Sound card drivers still won't prevent
> constant crashes which I am currently experiencing on Vista.
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> "Don Burn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If you are not aware of it Microsoft announced a change in its policy on
>> drivers for 64-bit Vista last week. See the paper at
>> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...kmsigning.mspx The
>> change here is that prior to this while drivers needed to be signed an
>> administrator could sign a driver for a computer or a domain.
>>
>> Many people in the driver development community are disturbed by this
>> change since makes it harder for a small firm to ship and support
>> drivers. In particular a lot of the freeware tools that have a kernel
>> component will probably never make it to Vista 64-bit. Also, I know of
>> small firms that are reconsidering their product plans for Vista. For
>> those who want to see the discussion in the driver development community,
>> go to
>> http://www.osronline.com and sign up for the NTDEV newgroup, then look
>> for "X64 Windows Vista to require signed drivers"
>>
>> At the end of the paper is the feedback email address for this stuff. If
>> enough of
>> us make rational comments to that address, Microsoft may realize there is
>> a problem.
>>

>> --
>> Don Burn (MVP, Windows DDK)
>> Windows 2k/XP/2k3 Filesystem and Driver Consulting
>> Remove StopSpam from the email to reply

Thomas Steffen

Don Burn wrote:
> Many people in the driver development community are disturbed by this change
> since makes it harder for a small firm to ship and support drivers.

While I agree with your scepticism, I am not sure which side will be
harmed. The availibility of drivers is the number one problem of x64
(and Vista x64), so making it hard to write new drivers seems
counter-intuitive (for their purposes).

I would like to see the video mirror driver from UltraVNC for x64, for
example. So far, nobody has developed this yet. But if signed drivers
are required, chances are that nobody *will* ever develop it.

Thomas

Norman Brooks

I was heavily involved in the Beta program for XP. I resigned because of my
dislike for WPA. It has since turned out to do virtually nothing to stop
piracy, and indeed has only been a red flag waved in front of the cracking
community. Few software developers have felt either the need or the
inclination to jump on the WPA bandwagon. Other than PhotoShop, no other
software package is so heavily cracked than XP. Photoshop's attention in the
community is due mainly to its overpricing.

Now M$ is attempting to further alienate the developer community by going
this route of requiring Versign ID's which cost small companies too much
money for niche equipment. We may see the near disappearance of things like
Finger Print scanners and Tablets etc.

M$ may finally have gone too far. Between the numbers of people who are
jumping ship to Linux, and the near lack of any REAL reason to switch to 64
bit processing M$ may finally see "this dog won't hunt".

I have a modern Asus PCI-e mobo, a dual core CPU and 2 gigs of dual channel
ram and have been running xp64 for 5 months. Once every week or two I run it
up, check out the latest updates from M$ and look for drivers (which I don't
find). There is nothing for my APC UPS, Finger Print reader, DVD Burner,
7in1 card reader, keyboard, Joystick, RAM driver, PGP driver, flatbed
scanner etc etc etc etc ... When my six month trial run expires I'll be
removing it from my drive. Too much inconvenience, with almost no support,
for virtually NO gain.

<off soapbox>

"Don Burn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Microsoft is not charging it, they are requiring a Versign ID. Verisign
> charges this and does not allow individuals to get them only companies.
> Many of the popular tools for Windows debugging and administration came
> out of individuals, with this new policy the ability for a person to
> create and distribute these is threatened.

Homer J. Simpson

You do realize that WPA has nothing to do with driver signing, right?

Andre Da Costa

If you know that you purchased Windows XP legally you should not have any
concerns about activating it. If you are reinstalling it many times,
somethings definitely wrong with your system or you need purchase an Open
License.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
"Norman Brooks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was heavily involved in the Beta program for XP. I resigned because of my
>dislike for WPA. It has since turned out to do virtually nothing to stop
>piracy, and indeed has only been a red flag waved in front of the cracking
>community. Few software developers have felt either the need or the
>inclination to jump on the WPA bandwagon. Other than PhotoShop, no other
>software package is so heavily cracked than XP. Photoshop's attention in
>the community is due mainly to its overpricing.
>
> Now M$ is attempting to further alienate the developer community by going
> this route of requiring Versign ID's which cost small companies too much
> money for niche equipment. We may see the near disappearance of things
> like Finger Print scanners and Tablets etc.
>
> M$ may finally have gone too far. Between the numbers of people who are
> jumping ship to Linux, and the near lack of any REAL reason to switch to
> 64 bit processing M$ may finally see "this dog won't hunt".
>
> I have a modern Asus PCI-e mobo, a dual core CPU and 2 gigs of dual
> channel ram and have been running xp64 for 5 months. Once every week or
> two I run it up, check out the latest updates from M$ and look for drivers
> (which I don't find). There is nothing for my APC UPS, Finger Print
> reader, DVD Burner, 7in1 card reader, keyboard, Joystick, RAM driver, PGP
> driver, flatbed scanner etc etc etc etc ... When my six month trial run
> expires I'll be removing it from my drive. Too much inconvenience, with
> almost no support, for virtually NO gain.
>
> <off soapbox>
>

> "Don Burn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Microsoft is not charging it, they are requiring a Versign ID. Verisign
>> charges this and does not allow individuals to get them only companies.
>> Many of the popular tools for Windows debugging and administration came
>> out of individuals, with this new policy the ability for a person to
>> create and distribute these is threatened.

Norman Brooks

I suppose I could get sarcastic but what good would that do !

My observation was that in spite of all objections M$ carried on with WPA.
In spite of Windows x64 being out for more than TWO YEARS they just got
around to writing their OWN mouse driver a week ago !

I'm not a bean counter, but I expect the vast majority of M$ R&D right now
is going into Vista and x64 and yet they are doing exactly the opposite of
what made them so incredibly successful just 10 years ago. When Win95 hit
the streets 10 years ago Aug/Sep they knocked themselves out make their
product attractive to developers. Now it seems like they could care less.

..-.-. -.-

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> You do realize that WPA has nothing to do with driver signing, right?

Chuck Walbourn [MSFT]

> You do realize that WPA has nothing to do with driver signing, right?

And that Verisign is not the only Certificate Authority that can sell you a
valid code signing certificate. And that the same certificate can be used to
sign everything that company distributes during the lifetime of the
certificate (typically 1-3 years). And that a code-signing certificate is
exactly like an SSL certificate used for secure website hosting.

The purpose of the code-signing certificate has nothing at all to do with
piracy. It has everything to do with ensuring to users that the bits
actually came from who they think it came from and ensuring
developers/vendors that the users on the other end of the support
call/e-mail actually have the bits you sent out. Microsoft Windows Vista
relies heavily on code-signing to let users know when the bits they are
running are verifiable vs when they are not precisely because the primary
way that people get their system's hacked is by running software they think
is from a trustable source but isn't, particularly for drivers.

--
Chuck Walbourn
SDE, Windows Gaming & Graphics

Homer J. Simpson

>I suppose I could get sarcastic but what good would that do !

Aw, c'mon, this is Usenet...

> My observation was that in spite of all objections M$ carried on with WPA.

A few years back I firmly believed MS would have dropped WPA by the time SP1
came out. I guess it's *just* effective enough to prevent neighbors from
swapping CD, but that's really just about it...

> In spite of Windows x64 being out for more than TWO YEARS they just got
> around to writing their OWN mouse driver a week ago !

XP x64 came out last...May? That's not two years. That's not even one
year.

Surely you're thinking of the IA-64 version--which has nothing to do with
the x64 version we're discussing.

As for mouse drivers...Are you talking about some 64-bit version of
IntelliPoint? I've *never* installed any of that crap, either for x86 or
x64. I've always used generic Microsoft mice, and they've always worked out
of box just fine on either plaftorm without additional drivers and what-not.
What value are you getting out of this mouse driver you're talking about?

(I'm not being a smart-ass, I honestly want to know what mouse feature
doesn't work without this driver)

> I'm not a bean counter, but I expect the vast majority of M$ R&D right now
> is going into Vista and x64 and yet they are doing exactly the opposite of
> what made them so incredibly successful just 10 years ago. When Win95 hit
> the streets 10 years ago Aug/Sep they knocked themselves out make their
> product attractive to developers. Now it seems like they could care less.

Personally...I'm all in favor of driver signing, and I can understand MS's
goal. They're trying to build a stable OS, and bad drivers account for most
BSODs. While I *fully* understand that a signed driver doesn't
automatically make it bug-free (HA!), at least it'll stop any Joe Schmuck
from publishing hacked drivers, and companies will be forced to get serious
about hiring competent people to write drivers for them. And maybe
ATI/Nvidia will stop releasing beta drivers weekly.

If you want a wide open OS where anybody can take a **** in the
pool...there's always Linux.

All IMNSHO, of course...