Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > From XP pro to XP pro 64 bit

From XP pro to XP pro 64 bit

=?Utf-8?B?TUFE?=

Hi NG!
Please help me for find a solution for my my problem.
I buy 2 pc with 64 bit hardware and 2 license XP pro 32 bit because my
reseller not have an XP pro 64 bit.
This hardware is for video editing application and with 32 bit OS doesn't
function well.
There are solution for make an upgrade to 64 bit OS?

Sorry for my little english...

Bye!

Thomas Steffen

MAD wrote:
> I buy 2 pc with 64 bit hardware and 2 license XP pro 32 bit because my
> reseller not have an XP pro 64 bit.
> This hardware is for video editing application and with 32 bit OS doesn't
> function well.

I am not sure why Windows XP does not function well for video editing.
Is it slow? And if yes, are you sure that Windows is the problem?

> There are solution for make an upgrade to 64 bit OS?

Maybe with Vista, although it is more likely that you need Windows XP
x64 to upgrade to Vista x64. You can also try the trial version of
Windows x64, it works for 4 month.

But is it worth it? If you have more than 4 GB of memory (or a 64bit
application), then yes. In this case money should not be the issue, so
just go ahead and buy Windows x64

Otherwise there is very no reason to go for x64.

Thomas

John Barnes

The only solution is to buy an OEM license for the 64-bit os. Let us know
the country and someone should be able to direct you to an appropriate
dealer.

"MAD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi NG!
> Please help me for find a solution for my my problem.
> I buy 2 pc with 64 bit hardware and 2 license XP pro 32 bit because my
> reseller not have an XP pro 64 bit.
> This hardware is for video editing application and with 32 bit OS doesn't
> function well.
> There are solution for make an upgrade to 64 bit OS?
>
> Sorry for my little english...
>
> Bye!

Charlie Russel - MVP

There is no upgrade path from 32-bit to 64-bit, unfortunately. You'll need
to buy an x64 license and do a clean install. You can do this in a dual boot
configuration (see my blog from November on dual booting), or as a complete
replacement for 32-bit.

Before moving entirely to 64-bit, please be certain that your software and
especially your hardware fully supports 64-bit. Drivers are a significant
problem still, though it is improving.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

MAD wrote:
> Hi NG!
> Please help me for find a solution for my my problem.
> I buy 2 pc with 64 bit hardware and 2 license XP pro 32 bit because my
> reseller not have an XP pro 64 bit.
> This hardware is for video editing application and with 32 bit OS doesn't
> function well.
> There are solution for make an upgrade to 64 bit OS?
>
> Sorry for my little english...
>
> Bye!

Dennis Pack

MAD:

Video editing is slow on any operating system. Comparing overall
time with x86 and x64 the x64 system is about 30% faster than x86. The test
clip that I used was on a dual boot machine with the same programs
installed, x86 took 71 minutes and x64 took 51 minutes.

"MAD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi NG!
> Please help me for find a solution for my my problem.
> I buy 2 pc with 64 bit hardware and 2 license XP pro 32 bit because my
> reseller not have an XP pro 64 bit.
> This hardware is for video editing application and with 32 bit OS doesn't
> function well.
> There are solution for make an upgrade to 64 bit OS?
>
> Sorry for my little english...
>
> Bye!

Charlie Russel - MVP

That's non-trivial. I'm interested - was this using a 32-bit version of the
software package in both cases?

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Dennis Pack wrote:
> MAD:
>
> Video editing is slow on any operating system. Comparing
> overall time with x86 and x64 the x64 system is about 30% faster than
> x86. The test clip that I used was on a dual boot machine with the same
> programs installed, x86 took 71 minutes and x64 took 51 minutes.
>

> "MAD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi NG!
>> Please help me for find a solution for my my problem.
>> I buy 2 pc with 64 bit hardware and 2 license XP pro 32 bit because my
>> reseller not have an XP pro 64 bit.
>> This hardware is for video editing application and with 32 bit OS doesn't
>> function well.
>> There are solution for make an upgrade to 64 bit OS?
>>
>> Sorry for my little english...
>>
>> Bye!

Dennis Pack

Charlie:

I did the test in my FX51 (now retired) dual boot using Power
Director 4. I captured a clip from a VCR tape then encoded it for copying it
to a DVD. I'm currently using a 4400x2 processor and haven't done a
comparison on this machine.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> That's non-trivial. I'm interested - was this using a 32-bit version of
> the software package in both cases?
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Dennis Pack wrote:
>> MAD:
>>
>> Video editing is slow on any operating system. Comparing
>> overall time with x86 and x64 the x64 system is about 30% faster than
>> x86. The test clip that I used was on a dual boot machine with the same
>> programs installed, x86 took 71 minutes and x64 took 51 minutes.
>>

>> "MAD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi NG!
>>> Please help me for find a solution for my my problem.
>>> I buy 2 pc with 64 bit hardware and 2 license XP pro 32 bit because my
>>> reseller not have an XP pro 64 bit.
>>> This hardware is for video editing application and with 32 bit OS
>>> doesn't
>>> function well.
>>> There are solution for make an upgrade to 64 bit OS?
>>>
>>> Sorry for my little english...
>>>
>>> Bye!

Charlie Russel - MVP

And Power Director 4 is 32-bit only. Very interesting. I'd be interested to
see if that differential is still present on a dual core machine, if and
when you have a chance. (and if you still have a dual boot.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Dennis Pack wrote:
> Charlie:
>
> I did the test in my FX51 (now retired) dual boot using Power
> Director 4. I captured a clip from a VCR tape then encoded it for copying
> it to a DVD. I'm currently using a 4400x2 processor and haven't done a
> comparison on this machine.

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> That's non-trivial. I'm interested - was this using a 32-bit version of
>> the software package in both cases?
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Dennis Pack wrote:
>>> MAD:
>>>
>>> Video editing is slow on any operating system. Comparing
>>> overall time with x86 and x64 the x64 system is about 30% faster than
>>> x86. The test clip that I used was on a dual boot machine with the same
>>> programs installed, x86 took 71 minutes and x64 took 51 minutes.
>>>

>>> "MAD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Dennis Pack

Charlie:

Power Director 4 is a 32 bit program. I performed a 10 minute
VCR capture using Movie Maker that came with each operating system. The
capture time and file sizes are the same, 10 minutes 35.97mb, Overall time
including capture was: x86 15 minutes, x64 12 minutes, encoding clip and
saving it to the hard drive. This is using the 4400x2 machine. Currently I
don't have Power Director 4 installed in the x86 partition. Due to my new
work schedule (4x10 shifts) I won't have time to do a full test until next
weekend.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> And Power Director 4 is 32-bit only. Very interesting. I'd be interested
> to see if that differential is still present on a dual core machine, if
> and when you have a chance. (and if you still have a dual boot.)
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Dennis Pack wrote:
>> Charlie:
>>
>> I did the test in my FX51 (now retired) dual boot using Power
>> Director 4. I captured a clip from a VCR tape then encoded it for copying
>> it to a DVD. I'm currently using a 4400x2 processor and haven't done a
>> comparison on this machine.

>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> That's non-trivial. I'm interested - was this using a 32-bit version of
>>> the software package in both cases?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

=?Utf-8?B?TUFE?=

Thomas, John and Charlie...
Many, many, many and many thanks guy! ;-D
You are very helpful for me!
Thanks a lot.

Bye!