Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Installing xp x 64 bit Trial... Help needed

Installing xp x 64 bit Trial... Help needed

T5

Hi All,
I have Athlon 64 dualcore 3800, 300gb, 2gb DDR, Asus A8N
Mobo, Nvidia GeoForce 6800. Windows Media Centre 2005 windows xp Home sp2
all updates. No worms, spyware,malware, viruses, trojans etc etc.

I have just downloaded the xp x 64 pro trial from MS 558 mb and as per
instructions burnt it to a disc. I tried using the setup file but it tells
me that i need to boot from the disc. I tried but it will not boot from the
disc, I have changed the boot priority from hd to cd drive but still
nothing, it still boots into windows as if nothing was in the cd drive.

I only have a C drive at the moment but I do have partition magic, do I need
to create a partition to install the trial?

What is stopping me from installing the trial? Could somebody take me
through the procedure Please.

Another problem that I have is that I am using a 26" HD TV as my monitor and
it doesn't show the boot sequence, it only shows when I arrive at the Login
screen why is this? This means that I have to change to my smaller pc
monitor whenever I want to do anything with the bios settings or boot
sequence.

Andre Da Costa

If you want to erase your current partition with Windows XP MCE 2005, then a
partition won't be necessary, but I would recommend you create one. First
things first, why do you want Windows XP Professional x64 on your computer?
Check out Charlie Russel overview of x64 to see if it fits your needs and if
searching for drivers and hoping they work is a adventure for you instead of
a chore:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc.../29/77166.aspx

Did you get the option to boot off CD before loaded XP MCE? Someone had
issues with a USB Keyboard not allowing them boot off the disk, even though
the selected the appropriate boot sequence and hit any key boot off the
disk. The recommendation was to use a PS/2 Keyboard. (Thanks Charlie)
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
"T5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uO%(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi All,
> I have Athlon 64 dualcore 3800, 300gb, 2gb DDR, Asus A8N
> Mobo, Nvidia GeoForce 6800. Windows Media Centre 2005 windows xp Home sp2
> all updates. No worms, spyware,malware, viruses, trojans etc etc.
>
> I have just downloaded the xp x 64 pro trial from MS 558 mb and as per
> instructions burnt it to a disc. I tried using the setup file but it tells
> me that i need to boot from the disc. I tried but it will not boot from
> the disc, I have changed the boot priority from hd to cd drive but still
> nothing, it still boots into windows as if nothing was in the cd drive.
>
> I only have a C drive at the moment but I do have partition magic, do I
> need to create a partition to install the trial?
>
> What is stopping me from installing the trial? Could somebody take me
> through the procedure Please.
>
> Another problem that I have is that I am using a 26" HD TV as my monitor
> and it doesn't show the boot sequence, it only shows when I arrive at the
> Login screen why is this? This means that I have to change to my smaller
> pc monitor whenever I want to do anything with the bios settings or boot
> sequence.

Charlie Russel - MVP

You can't install onto the same partition as an existing version of Windows.
So you'd need to create another partition. Second, you need to boot from the
CD to install, so make sure you've burned the CD as a bootable CD. See the
instructions here: http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm -
they're excellent.

Also, be aware that MCE functionality is not available in x64 Edition at
this time. And probably won't be until Vista ships later this year.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

T5 wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have Athlon 64 dualcore 3800, 300gb, 2gb DDR, Asus A8N
> Mobo, Nvidia GeoForce 6800. Windows Media Centre 2005 windows xp Home sp2
> all updates. No worms, spyware,malware, viruses, trojans etc etc.
>
> I have just downloaded the xp x 64 pro trial from MS 558 mb and as per
> instructions burnt it to a disc. I tried using the setup file but it tells
> me that i need to boot from the disc. I tried but it will not boot from
> the disc, I have changed the boot priority from hd to cd drive but still
> nothing, it still boots into windows as if nothing was in the cd drive.
>
> I only have a C drive at the moment but I do have partition magic, do I
> need to create a partition to install the trial?
>
> What is stopping me from installing the trial? Could somebody take me
> through the procedure Please.
>
> Another problem that I have is that I am using a 26" HD TV as my monitor
> and it doesn't show the boot sequence, it only shows when I arrive at the
> Login screen why is this? This means that I have to change to my smaller
> pc monitor whenever I want to do anything with the bios settings or boot
> sequence.

=?Utf-8?B?am9lYmVybGU=?=

> NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO - just listen to the
comments; for some reason it is reasonable to have to boot to differnet
operating systems to have to check on things or to run other programs. If
x64 was any good, you would no longer need x86. Do not let these geeks
convince you that it is no big deal. They spend ALL of their time on the
computer. Unless you do too, then do not get this OS! You cannot use any
attached equipment older than what is currently marketed by other companies.
That means, No Palm, No Printer, No Scanner, NO Webcam. Do Not Let Charlie
Russel or any of these people mimimize the problems that people are having.
Just loook at the PlanetAMD site under x64 and driver-issues and you will get
an idea. No consumer should be suckered into becoming a computer technician.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> You can't install onto the same partition as an existing version of Windows.
> So you'd need to create another partition. Second, you need to boot from the
> CD to install, so make sure you've burned the CD as a bootable CD. See the
> instructions here: http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm -
> they're excellent.
>
> Also, be aware that MCE functionality is not available in x64 Edition at
> this time. And probably won't be until Vista ships later this year.
>

> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> T5 wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > I have Athlon 64 dualcore 3800, 300gb, 2gb DDR, Asus A8N
> > Mobo, Nvidia GeoForce 6800. Windows Media Centre 2005 windows xp Home sp2
> > all updates. No worms, spyware,malware, viruses, trojans etc etc.
> >
> > I have just downloaded the xp x 64 pro trial from MS 558 mb and as per
> > instructions burnt it to a disc. I tried using the setup file but it tells
> > me that i need to boot from the disc. I tried but it will not boot from
> > the disc, I have changed the boot priority from hd to cd drive but still
> > nothing, it still boots into windows as if nothing was in the cd drive.
> >
> > I only have a C drive at the moment but I do have partition magic, do I
> > need to create a partition to install the trial?
> >
> > What is stopping me from installing the trial? Could somebody take me
> > through the procedure Please.
> >
> > Another problem that I have is that I am using a 26" HD TV as my monitor
> > and it doesn't show the boot sequence, it only shows when I arrive at the
> > Login screen why is this? This means that I have to change to my smaller
> > pc monitor whenever I want to do anything with the bios settings or boot
> > sequence.

T5

Oh Dear,
I'm with you on that Joe
Not convincing is it? So If I have a 64bit ready system and I am being
advised not to install xp x64 pro then why do I have a 64bit ready system?
My new pc MCE was advertised on the MESH website as being available with x64
but apparently MCE doesn't work with x64 so why advertise it as such? I am a
lifelong Microsoft user, going back to the windows 3.1 but I am now a
confused user who really cannot be bothered to follow the endless trail of
newsgroups.... usergroups......forums etc etc just to be able to use my
latest pc.
If I bought a new Rolls Royce, I would expect it to look good and perform
without fault, if it did develop a fault then the makers come and cover it
up, place it on a low loader and take it to the RR doctors and fix it. Now,
like all prestige, bespoke objects, you pay a premium but get a
comprehensive backup/service/replacement deal.... with Microsoft you don't.
MS have consistently sold a flawed product to many millions of users and I
am getting weary of it. I want an out of the box system that works not a
jack in the box system that doesnt.

"joeberle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

>> > me that i need to boot from the disc. I tried but it will not boot from
>> > the disc, I have changed the boot priority from hd to cd drive but
>> > still
>> > nothing, it still boots into windows as if nothing was in the cd drive.
>> >
>> > I only have a C drive at the moment but I do have partition magic, do I
>> > need to create a partition to install the trial?
>> >
>> > What is stopping me from installing the trial? Could somebody take me
>> > through the procedure Please.
>> >
>> > Another problem that I have is that I am using a 26" HD TV as my
>> > monitor
>> > and it doesn't show the boot sequence, it only shows when I arrive at
>> > the
>> > Login screen why is this? This means that I have to change to my
>> > smaller
>> > pc monitor whenever I want to do anything with the bios settings or

Andre Da Costa

You have a 64 bit enabled processor to prepare for the future. Also, would
you prefer to pay for a 32-bit system that cost just as much a 64-bit
system. Fine, if you want to be on the dead end fine.
> [...]

>> Just loook at the PlanetAMD site under x64 and driver-issues and you will
>> get
>> an idea. No consumer should be suckered into becoming a computer
>> technician.
>>
>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>>
>>> You can't install onto the same partition as an existing version of
>>> Windows.
>>> So you'd need to create another partition. Second, you need to boot from
>>> the
>>> CD to install, so make sure you've burned the CD as a bootable CD. See
>>> the
>>> instructions here:
>>> http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm -
>>> they're excellent.
>>>
>>> Also, be aware that MCE functionality is not available in x64 Edition at
>>> this time. And probably won't be until Vista ships later this year.

Jud Hendrix

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 06:39:02 -0800, "joeberle"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Do not let these geeks
>convince you that it is no big deal.

On ya! Then don't buy it. It's as simple as that.
I am sure that the OP can figure that one out for himself,
after all, why should we trust you, instead of Andre or Charlie?

jud

=?Utf-8?B?dWxmaXJl?=

I don't know if this will help but I've just downloaded the trial and have
the same problem.Won't boot from CD,can't find set up file as instructed.I've
made 4 images but still no joy.
I've just used winzip and it expanded the iso to reveal 9 files one of which
is Setup.Also when I try to run the disc I get the message that this disc can
only be booted from disc.So it would seem to be the correct.
Have Microsoft stitched us up?
I've cloned my present OS to another disc,which is what I suggest other
users should do (Using Acronis True Image awesome Program)
Here I Go Wish me Luck

"T5" wrote:

> Hi All,
> I have Athlon 64 dualcore 3800, 300gb, 2gb DDR, Asus A8N
> Mobo, Nvidia GeoForce 6800. Windows Media Centre 2005 windows xp Home sp2
> all updates. No worms, spyware,malware, viruses, trojans etc etc.
>
> I have just downloaded the xp x 64 pro trial from MS 558 mb and as per
> instructions burnt it to a disc. I tried using the setup file but it tells
> me that i need to boot from the disc. I tried but it will not boot from the
> disc, I have changed the boot priority from hd to cd drive but still
> nothing, it still boots into windows as if nothing was in the cd drive.
>
> I only have a C drive at the moment but I do have partition magic, do I need
> to create a partition to install the trial?
>
> What is stopping me from installing the trial? Could somebody take me
> through the procedure Please.
>
> Another problem that I have is that I am using a 26" HD TV as my monitor and
> it doesn't show the boot sequence, it only shows when I arrive at the Login
> screen why is this? This means that I have to change to my smaller pc
> monitor whenever I want to do anything with the bios settings or boot
> sequence.

Charlie Russel - MVP

you need to burn the ISO as an image. For excellent instructions on how to
write an ISO file to a CD correctly, I recommend:

ulfire wrote:
> I don't know if this will help but I've just downloaded the trial and have
> the same problem.Won't boot from CD,can't find set up file as
> instructed.I've made 4 images but still no joy.
> I've just used winzip and it expanded the iso to reveal 9 files one of
> which is Setup.Also when I try to run the disc I get the message that
> this disc can only be booted from disc.So it would seem to be the correct.
> Have Microsoft stitched us up?
> I've cloned my present OS to another disc,which is what I suggest other
> users should do (Using Acronis True Image awesome Program)
> Here I Go Wish me Luck
>
> "T5" wrote:
>

>> Hi All,
>> I have Athlon 64 dualcore 3800, 300gb, 2gb DDR, Asus A8N
>> Mobo, Nvidia GeoForce 6800. Windows Media Centre 2005 windows xp Home sp2
>> all updates. No worms, spyware,malware, viruses, trojans etc etc.
>>
>> I have just downloaded the xp x 64 pro trial from MS 558 mb and as per
>> instructions burnt it to a disc. I tried using the setup file but it
>> tells me that i need to boot from the disc. I tried but it will not boot
>> from the disc, I have changed the boot priority from hd to cd drive but
>> still nothing, it still boots into windows as if nothing was in the cd
>> drive.
>>
>> I only have a C drive at the moment but I do have partition magic, do I
>> need to create a partition to install the trial?
>>
>> What is stopping me from installing the trial? Could somebody take me
>> through the procedure Please.
>>
>> Another problem that I have is that I am using a 26" HD TV as my monitor
>> and it doesn't show the boot sequence, it only shows when I arrive at
>> the Login screen why is this? This means that I have to change to my
>> smaller pc monitor whenever I want to do anything with the bios settings
>> or boot sequence.

=?Utf-8?B?dWxmaXJl?=

Thanks for the reply but i have already tried to burn the file as an image
and it just doesn't work My computer just boots straight into windows XP
after the initial boot from CD ,I don't get the press any key message.
I have downloaded a trial before about 6 months ago ,I had no problems
making the disc.In fact I just tried it and it gave me the option to load
x64.I didn't bother because that trial was out of date.
I only used it a few times and didn't find it functional at the time.There
are more drivers available now so I thought that I'd download the trial again
out of curiosity.At the end of the day Vista is around the corner,perhaps
i'll wait for that,assuming that it will be compatable with my hardware.
I'm downloading another copy of the x64 evaluation,perhaps the first one was
corrupt.Very strange really