Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Remove dual boot

Remove dual boot

=?Utf-8?B?bW1vdG9ybWFubg==?=

I installed XP 64bit on a second partition on my Acer TravelMate 4400. I have
Windows XP Pro installed on the primary partition. I want to remove XP 64 bit
but am unable to fdisk the mbr. As I have no floppy drive, how can I boot to
a DOS prompt to remove the dual boot option?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Dual or Multi-Booting including Windows XP Professional x64 Edition by
Charlie Russel
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc.../21/76180.aspx
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"mmotormann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I installed XP 64bit on a second partition on my Acer TravelMate 4400. I
>have
> Windows XP Pro installed on the primary partition. I want to remove XP 64
> bit
> but am unable to fdisk the mbr. As I have no floppy drive, how can I boot
> a DOS prompt to remove the dual boot option?

Colin Barnhorst

You can edit the boot.ini file. No need to fdisk unless you are combining
the partitions and reinstalling XP Pro x86.

"mmotormann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I installed XP 64bit on a second partition on my Acer TravelMate 4400. I
>have
> Windows XP Pro installed on the primary partition. I want to remove XP 64
> bit
> but am unable to fdisk the mbr. As I have no floppy drive, how can I boot
> a DOS prompt to remove the dual boot option?

=?Utf-8?B?bW1vdG9ybWFubg==?=

Thanks Colin. I was able to edit the boot.ini file and remove Windows XP
64bit boot option.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> You can edit the boot.ini file. No need to fdisk unless you are combining
> the partitions and reinstalling XP Pro x86.
>
> "mmotormann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I installed XP 64bit on a second partition on my Acer TravelMate 4400. I
> >have
> > Windows XP Pro installed on the primary partition. I want to remove XP 64
> > bit
> > but am unable to fdisk the mbr. As I have no floppy drive, how can I boot
> > a DOS prompt to remove the dual boot option?

Colin Barnhorst

You're welcome.