Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > difficulty installing x64

difficulty installing x64

=?Utf-8?B?bWFsY29sbS1n?=

I have just upgraded my Mobo and processor and am now using an ASsrock
K8NF4G-SATA2 mobo with an AMD Sempron 3000+ 64 bit enabled processor and to
get the best out of this arrangement decided to upgrade my O/S to XP Pro x64.
When I try to boot the system with the CD in the drive I am prompted to
press any key to boot from CD. Unfortunately I have tried this at least a
couple of dozen times and pressing a key on my keyboard does not have the
desired effect and my PC just boots as normal to my current O/S.
Any ideas anyone?

Andre Da Costa

Have you tried setting your boot device in the BIOS to the optical drive?
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
"malcolm-g" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have just upgraded my Mobo and processor and am now using an ASsrock
> K8NF4G-SATA2 mobo with an AMD Sempron 3000+ 64 bit enabled processor and
> get the best out of this arrangement decided to upgrade my O/S to XP Pro
> x64.
> When I try to boot the system with the CD in the drive I am prompted to
> press any key to boot from CD. Unfortunately I have tried this at least a
> couple of dozen times and pressing a key on my keyboard does not have the
> desired effect and my PC just boots as normal to my current O/S.
> Any ideas anyone?

John Barnes

Just a trial, I would make the floppy second before the hard drive, put a
blank floppy in the drive and see what happens. Do you have the latest BIOS
for your Mobo

"Andre Da Costa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have you tried setting your boot device in the BIOS to the optical drive?
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> "malcolm-g" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have just upgraded my Mobo and processor and am now using an ASsrock
>> K8NF4G-SATA2 mobo with an AMD Sempron 3000+ 64 bit enabled processor and
>> get the best out of this arrangement decided to upgrade my O/S to XP Pro
>> x64.
>> When I try to boot the system with the CD in the drive I am prompted to
>> press any key to boot from CD. Unfortunately I have tried this at least a
>> couple of dozen times and pressing a key on my keyboard does not have the
>> desired effect and my PC just boots as normal to my current O/S.
>> Any ideas anyone?

=?Utf-8?B?bWFsY29sbS1n?=

Yes, that was one of the first things I tried. I also disabled the hard drive
in the boot section of BIOS, but it still managed to boot up my original O/S.

"Andre Da Costa" wrote:

> Have you tried setting your boot device in the BIOS to the optical drive?
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> "malcolm-g" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have just upgraded my Mobo and processor and am now using an ASsrock
> > K8NF4G-SATA2 mobo with an AMD Sempron 3000+ 64 bit enabled processor and
> > get the best out of this arrangement decided to upgrade my O/S to XP Pro
> > x64.
> > When I try to boot the system with the CD in the drive I am prompted to
> > press any key to boot from CD. Unfortunately I have tried this at least a
> > couple of dozen times and pressing a key on my keyboard does not have the
> > desired effect and my PC just boots as normal to my current O/S.
> > Any ideas anyone?

=?Utf-8?B?bWFsY29sbS1n?=

I have checked that I do have the latest BIOS, but will try using a blank
floppy. I'll let you know if it works. Thanks

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Just a trial, I would make the floppy second before the hard drive, put a
> blank floppy in the drive and see what happens. Do you have the latest BIOS
> for your Mobo
>
> "Andre Da Costa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Have you tried setting your boot device in the BIOS to the optical drive?
> > --
> > --
> > Andre
> > "malcolm-g" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>I have just upgraded my Mobo and processor and am now using an ASsrock
> >> K8NF4G-SATA2 mobo with an AMD Sempron 3000+ 64 bit enabled processor and
> >> get the best out of this arrangement decided to upgrade my O/S to XP Pro
> >> x64.
> >> When I try to boot the system with the CD in the drive I am prompted to
> >> press any key to boot from CD. Unfortunately I have tried this at least a
> >> couple of dozen times and pressing a key on my keyboard does not have the
> >> desired effect and my PC just boots as normal to my current O/S.
> >> Any ideas anyone?

=?Utf-8?B?bWFsY29sbS1n?=

No joy with that option I'm afraid. Optical drive selected as !st boot,
Floppy as 2nd, and third disabled, and still booting original O/S.

"malcolm-g" wrote:

> I have checked that I do have the latest BIOS, but will try using a blank
> floppy. I'll let you know if it works. Thanks
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
> > Just a trial, I would make the floppy second before the hard drive, put a
> > blank floppy in the drive and see what happens. Do you have the latest BIOS
> > for your Mobo
> >
> > "Andre Da Costa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Have you tried setting your boot device in the BIOS to the optical drive?
> > > --
> > > --
> > > Andre
> > > Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> > > Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
> > > http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
> > > FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
> > > "malcolm-g" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

Try using a non-USB keyboard. I'm betting it's not seeing your "press any
key". If you're seeing the CD prompt, then all of that is fine, the problem
is it isn't seeing the keyboard press to let it know that you do, in fact,
want to boot off the CD.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

malcolm-g wrote:
> Yes, that was one of the first things I tried. I also disabled the hard
> drive in the boot section of BIOS, but it still managed to boot up my
> original O/S.
>
> "Andre Da Costa" wrote:
>
>> Have you tried setting your boot device in the BIOS to the optical drive?
>> --
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>> "malcolm-g" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I have just upgraded my Mobo and processor and am now using an ASsrock
>>> K8NF4G-SATA2 mobo with an AMD Sempron 3000+ 64 bit enabled processor and
>>> get the best out of this arrangement decided to upgrade my O/S to XP Pro
>>> x64.
>>> When I try to boot the system with the CD in the drive I am prompted to
>>> press any key to boot from CD. Unfortunately I have tried this at least
>>> a couple of dozen times and pressing a key on my keyboard does not have
>>> the desired effect and my PC just boots as normal to my current O/S.
>>> Any ideas anyone?

John Barnes

I was thinking of that, but he can use the keyboard to get into the BIOS to
change the order and the system is booting to the drive which isn't even in
the boot
order and is bypassing the second floppy. If it did not recognise the key
it should go to the floppy and have the non standard disk comment.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try using a non-USB keyboard. I'm betting it's not seeing your "press any
> key". If you're seeing the CD prompt, then all of that is fine, the
> problem is it isn't seeing the keyboard press to let it know that you do,
> in fact, want to boot off the CD.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> malcolm-g wrote:
>> Yes, that was one of the first things I tried. I also disabled the hard
>> drive in the boot section of BIOS, but it still managed to boot up my
>> original O/S.
>>
>> "Andre Da Costa" wrote:
>>
>>> Have you tried setting your boot device in the BIOS to the optical
>>> drive?
>>> --
>>> --
>>> Andre
>>> "malcolm-g" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Andre Da Costa

Same thought here.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was thinking of that, but he can use the keyboard to get into the BIOS to
>change the order and the system is booting to the drive which isn't even in
>the boot
> order and is bypassing the second floppy. If it did not recognise the key
> it should go to the floppy and have the non standard disk comment.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Try using a non-USB keyboard. I'm betting it's not seeing your "press any
>> key". If you're seeing the CD prompt, then all of that is fine, the
>> problem is it isn't seeing the keyboard press to let it know that you do,
>> in fact, want to boot off the CD.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> malcolm-g wrote:
>>> Yes, that was one of the first things I tried. I also disabled the hard
>>> drive in the boot section of BIOS, but it still managed to boot up my
>>> original O/S.

=?Utf-8?B?bWFsY29sbS1n?=

Thanks, Charlie Russell, I will borrow a non-USB keyboard tomorrow and try
again then. By the way, was it just inspired guesswork that I was using a USB
keyboard, or is my problem one that only usually occurs when using one?