Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Installing failed.

Installing failed.

=?Utf-8?B?UmlvcmU=?=

I just downloaded Windows XP 64bit edition trial off the Microsoft website
and tried to install it but it said something about a hardware fail. I Burnt
the ISO to a CD-R with Nero image burn. My hard drive is in two portions with
enough space left over (5gig +). I didn’t format the portion I put the
windows 64bit on because it had some files I needed.

I have:
AMD64 socket 939 3000+
ATI MSI 9200 128MB AGP
512mb pc 3200 ram
Maxtor IDE 120GB hard drive.
LG multi DVD/CD burner.
400watt Power supply.

If anyone knows why there is a hardware error can you please help me?

Andre Da Costa

Any specific error messages, did you format the partition and try again?
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
"Riore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just downloaded Windows XP 64bit edition trial off the Microsoft website
> and tried to install it but it said something about a hardware fail. I
> Burnt
> the ISO to a CD-R with Nero image burn. My hard drive is in two portions
> with
> enough space left over (5gig +). I didn't format the portion I put the
> windows 64bit on because it had some files I needed.
>
> I have:
> AMD64 socket 939 3000+
> ATI MSI 9200 128MB AGP
> 512mb pc 3200 ram
> Maxtor IDE 120GB hard drive.
> LG multi DVD/CD burner.
> 400watt Power supply.
>
> If anyone knows why there is a hardware error can you please help me?

Charlie Russel - MVP

We need the specific error message - it will tell us what hardware is
causing the problem. As a first start, remove ANY USB devices and try again.
Also, do not try to install to the same partition as your current operating
system, make sure it's a new partition. We'd prefer that the partition be
formatted as part of the install, but if no other operating system is on it,
or has been on it, you probably can get away with it. OTOH, 5GB as a system
partition doesn't really go very far these days, so you really need to think
about how you can re-arrange your drive to give x64 a bit more headroom.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Riore wrote:
> I just downloaded Windows XP 64bit edition trial off the Microsoft website
> and tried to install it but it said something about a hardware fail. I
> Burnt the ISO to a CD-R with Nero image burn. My hard drive is in two
> portions with enough space left over (5gig +). I didn't format the
> portion I put the windows 64bit on because it had some files I needed.
>
> I have:
> AMD64 socket 939 3000+
> ATI MSI 9200 128MB AGP
> 512mb pc 3200 ram
> Maxtor IDE 120GB hard drive.
> LG multi DVD/CD burner.
> 400watt Power supply.
>
> If anyone knows why there is a hardware error can you please help me?

Andre Da Costa

"OTOH, 5GB as a system partition doesn't really go very far these days, so
you really need to think about how you can re-arrange your drive to give
x64 a bit more headroom."

Even for testing the trial?
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We need the specific error message - it will tell us what hardware is
> causing the problem. As a first start, remove ANY USB devices and try
> again. Also, do not try to install to the same partition as your current
> operating system, make sure it's a new partition. We'd prefer that the
> partition be formatted as part of the install, but if no other operating
> system is on it, or has been on it, you probably can get away with it.
> OTOH, 5GB as a system partition doesn't really go very far these days, so
> you really need to think about how you can re-arrange your drive to give
> x64 a bit more headroom.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Riore wrote:
>> I just downloaded Windows XP 64bit edition trial off the Microsoft
>> website
>> and tried to install it but it said something about a hardware fail. I
>> Burnt the ISO to a CD-R with Nero image burn. My hard drive is in two
>> portions with enough space left over (5gig +). I didn't format the
>> portion I put the windows 64bit on because it had some files I needed.
>>
>> I have:
>> AMD64 socket 939 3000+
>> ATI MSI 9200 128MB AGP
>> 512mb pc 3200 ram
>> Maxtor IDE 120GB hard drive.
>> LG multi DVD/CD burner.
>> 400watt Power supply.
>>
>> If anyone knows why there is a hardware error can you please help me?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yeah, if you actually do any work at all in it, you're going to run into
headroom problems fairly quickly. You should certainly be able to get it to
load (assuming the disk isn't so fragmented as to create major problems),
but once you start working in it, you're going to run into problems fairly
quickly, IME.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64