Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XP Pro x64 and Home Networking?

XP Pro x64 and Home Networking?

Jim Galasyn

Hi all,

Does the home networking ("workgroup") feature work in the x64 edition? I
ask for two reasons:

1. I can't get the x64 box to see the other XP Pro 32-bit box, but the
32-bit box sees the x64 box; both machines connect to a hub, which is
connected to a Belkin Pre-N router and then to the Comcast cable modem.
2. RAS (Remote Desktop Connection) is completely hosed now that I've tried
to do the home networking thing.

RAS worked before I tried to set up the freaking home networking...I was on
the phone with support for an hour, and they couldn't diagnose. When I
hooked up the computer directly to the cable modem, RAS suddenly worked.

Configuration:
Windows XP Pro x64 Edition
HP xw8200 spec is here:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q.../11976_div.PDF
2GB RAM
dual 3.6 GHz Xeon processors
250-GB SATA 3.0-Gb/s 7200 rpm Hard Drive (8 MB cache)
2x LSI Logic 1020/1030 Ultra320 SCSI Adapter

Jim Galasyn

Okay, I figured out the networking part -- both machines see other now,
which is cool.

RAS is still busted, though. Does "workgroup" home networking play nicely
with RAS?

"Jim Galasyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> Does the home networking ("workgroup") feature work in the x64 edition? I
> ask for two reasons:
>
> 1. I can't get the x64 box to see the other XP Pro 32-bit box, but the
> 32-bit box sees the x64 box; both machines connect to a hub, which is
> connected to a Belkin Pre-N router and then to the Comcast cable modem.
> 2. RAS (Remote Desktop Connection) is completely hosed now that I've tried
> to do the home networking thing.
>
> RAS worked before I tried to set up the freaking home networking...I was
> on the phone with support for an hour, and they couldn't diagnose. When I
> hooked up the computer directly to the cable modem, RAS suddenly worked.
>
> Configuration:
> Windows XP Pro x64 Edition
> HP xw8200 spec is here:
> http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q.../11976_div.PDF
> 2GB RAM
> dual 3.6 GHz Xeon processors
> 250-GB SATA 3.0-Gb/s 7200 rpm Hard Drive (8 MB cache)
> 2x LSI Logic 1020/1030 Ultra320 SCSI Adapter

Charlie Russel - MVP

I'm sorry, what's the problem here? RAS (Remote Access) or Remote Desktop?
Two very different things. And since we have no idea what you did that
"fixed" the networking part, I'm not at all sure what to suggest. Is the
router still present?

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Jim Galasyn wrote:
> Okay, I figured out the networking part -- both machines see other now,
> which is cool.
>
> RAS is still busted, though. Does "workgroup" home networking play nicely
> with RAS?
>

> "Jim Galasyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Does the home networking ("workgroup") feature work in the x64 edition? I
>> ask for two reasons:
>>
>> 1. I can't get the x64 box to see the other XP Pro 32-bit box, but the
>> 32-bit box sees the x64 box; both machines connect to a hub, which is
>> connected to a Belkin Pre-N router and then to the Comcast cable modem.
>> 2. RAS (Remote Desktop Connection) is completely hosed now that I've
>> tried to do the home networking thing.
>>
>> RAS worked before I tried to set up the freaking home networking...I was
>> on the phone with support for an hour, and they couldn't diagnose. When I
>> hooked up the computer directly to the cable modem, RAS suddenly worked.
>>
>> Configuration:
>> Windows XP Pro x64 Edition
>> HP xw8200 spec is here:
>> http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q.../11976_div.PDF
>> 2GB RAM
>> dual 3.6 GHz Xeon processors
>> 250-GB SATA 3.0-Gb/s 7200 rpm Hard Drive (8 MB cache)
>> 2x LSI Logic 1020/1030 Ultra320 SCSI Adapter

Ken Tucker [MVP]

Jim,

Could you please post what you did to fix the networking part. I am
sure other people will find it useful.

Ken
------------------
"Jim Galasyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Okay, I figured out the networking part -- both machines see other now,
> which is cool.
>
> RAS is still busted, though. Does "workgroup" home networking play nicely
> with RAS?
>

> "Jim Galasyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Does the home networking ("workgroup") feature work in the x64 edition? I
>> ask for two reasons:
>>
>> 1. I can't get the x64 box to see the other XP Pro 32-bit box, but the
>> 32-bit box sees the x64 box; both machines connect to a hub, which is
>> connected to a Belkin Pre-N router and then to the Comcast cable modem.
>> 2. RAS (Remote Desktop Connection) is completely hosed now that I've
>> tried to do the home networking thing.
>>
>> RAS worked before I tried to set up the freaking home networking...I was
>> on the phone with support for an hour, and they couldn't diagnose. When I
>> hooked up the computer directly to the cable modem, RAS suddenly worked.
>>
>> Configuration:
>> Windows XP Pro x64 Edition
>> HP xw8200 spec is here:
>> http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q.../11976_div.PDF
>> 2GB RAM
>> dual 3.6 GHz Xeon processors
>> 250-GB SATA 3.0-Gb/s 7200 rpm Hard Drive (8 MB cache)
>> 2x LSI Logic 1020/1030 Ultra320 SCSI Adapter

Jim Galasyn

Sure, I was rather foolishly following the Network Setup Wizard's advice,
which told me to run NSW on every machine on the network. Apparently, you
only need to run it on one machine. Then I used the Control Panel | System |
Network Setup | Network ID on the other machine to join the workgroup.
Voila! Both machines were able to see one another, with no x64 weirdness at
all.

"Ken Tucker [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uvt$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jim,
>
> Could you please post what you did to fix the networking part. I
> am sure other people will find it useful.
>
> Ken
> ------------------
> "Jim Galasyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Okay, I figured out the networking part -- both machines see other now,
>> which is cool.
>>
>> RAS is still busted, though. Does "workgroup" home networking play nicely
>> with RAS?
>>

>> "Jim Galasyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Does the home networking ("workgroup") feature work in the x64 edition?
>>> I ask for two reasons:
>>>
>>> 1. I can't get the x64 box to see the other XP Pro 32-bit box, but the
>>> 32-bit box sees the x64 box; both machines connect to a hub, which is
>>> connected to a Belkin Pre-N router and then to the Comcast cable modem.
>>> 2. RAS (Remote Desktop Connection) is completely hosed now that I've
>>> tried to do the home networking thing.
>>>
>>> RAS worked before I tried to set up the freaking home networking...I was
>>> on the phone with support for an hour, and they couldn't diagnose. When
>>> I hooked up the computer directly to the cable modem, RAS suddenly
>>> worked.
>>>
>>> Configuration:
>>> Windows XP Pro x64 Edition
>>> HP xw8200 spec is here:
>>> http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q.../11976_div.PDF
>>> 2GB RAM
>>> dual 3.6 GHz Xeon processors
>>> 250-GB SATA 3.0-Gb/s 7200 rpm Hard Drive (8 MB cache)
>>> 2x LSI Logic 1020/1030 Ultra320 SCSI Adapter

Jim Galasyn

Right, I really mean Remote Desktop Connection. I suspect it doesn't play
well with the new workgroup I created. It was working fine before I did that
little dance.

news:eeJida$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm sorry, what's the problem here? RAS (Remote Access) or Remote Desktop?
> Two very different things. And since we have no idea what you did that
> "fixed" the networking part, I'm not at all sure what to suggest. Is the
> router still present?
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Jim Galasyn wrote:
>> Okay, I figured out the networking part -- both machines see other now,
>> which is cool.
>>
>> RAS is still busted, though. Does "workgroup" home networking play nicely
>> with RAS?
>>

>> "Jim Galasyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Does the home networking ("workgroup") feature work in the x64 edition?
>>> ask for two reasons:
>>>
>>> 1. I can't get the x64 box to see the other XP Pro 32-bit box, but the
>>> 32-bit box sees the x64 box; both machines connect to a hub, which is
>>> connected to a Belkin Pre-N router and then to the Comcast cable modem.
>>> 2. RAS (Remote Desktop Connection) is completely hosed now that I've
>>> tried to do the home networking thing.
>>>
>>> RAS worked before I tried to set up the freaking home networking...I was
>>> on the phone with support for an hour, and they couldn't diagnose. When
>>> hooked up the computer directly to the cable modem, RAS suddenly worked.
>>>
>>> Configuration:
>>> Windows XP Pro x64 Edition
>>> HP xw8200 spec is here:
>>> http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q.../11976_div.PDF
>>> 2GB RAM
>>> dual 3.6 GHz Xeon processors
>>> 250-GB SATA 3.0-Gb/s 7200 rpm Hard Drive (8 MB cache)
>>> 2x LSI Logic 1020/1030 Ultra320 SCSI Adapter

Andre Da Costa

And you are able to remote desktop just fine?
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
"Jim Galasyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sure, I was rather foolishly following the Network Setup Wizard's advice,
> which told me to run NSW on every machine on the network. Apparently, you
> only need to run it on one machine. Then I used the Control Panel | System
> | Network Setup | Network ID on the other machine to join the workgroup.
> Voila! Both machines were able to see one another, with no x64 weirdness
> at all.
>

> "Ken Tucker [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uvt$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Jim,
>>
>> Could you please post what you did to fix the networking part. I
>> am sure other people will find it useful.
>>
>> Ken
>> ------------------
>> "Jim Galasyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Okay, I figured out the networking part -- both machines see other now,
>>> which is cool.
>>>
>>> RAS is still busted, though. Does "workgroup" home networking play
>>> nicely with RAS?
>>>

>>> "Jim Galasyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Jim Galasyn

Problem solved. Because I have a local network, I need to provide
credentials to Remote Desktop -- didn't have to do that before.

That poor support guy I last night...I talked with him for an hour.

"Jim Galasyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Right, I really mean Remote Desktop Connection. I suspect it doesn't play
> well with the new workgroup I created. It was working fine before I did
> that little dance.

> news:eeJida$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm sorry, what's the problem here? RAS (Remote Access) or Remote
>> Desktop? Two very different things. And since we have no idea what you
>> did that "fixed" the networking part, I'm not at all sure what to
>> suggest. Is the router still present?
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Jim Galasyn wrote:
>>> Okay, I figured out the networking part -- both machines see other now,
>>> which is cool.
>>>
>>> RAS is still busted, though. Does "workgroup" home networking play
>>> nicely
>>> with RAS?
>>>

>>> "Jim Galasyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

Check that you've got Remote enabled on the target machine, and that the
Windows Firewall isn't blocking RDP. (Keep in mind that RDP requires an
account with a password. )

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Jim Galasyn wrote:
> Right, I really mean Remote Desktop Connection. I suspect it doesn't play
> well with the new workgroup I created. It was working fine before I did
> that little dance.

> news:eeJida$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm sorry, what's the problem here? RAS (Remote Access) or Remote
>> Desktop? Two very different things. And since we have no idea what you
>> did that "fixed" the networking part, I'm not at all sure what to
>> suggest. Is the router still present?
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Jim Galasyn wrote:
>>> Okay, I figured out the networking part -- both machines see other now,
>>> which is cool.
>>>
>>> RAS is still busted, though. Does "workgroup" home networking play
>>> nicely with RAS?
>>>

>>> "Jim Galasyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes. RDP requires passworded accounts. Others are blocked.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64