Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 32-bit executables

32-bit executables

=?Utf-8?B?MzItYml0IGV4ZWN1dGFibGVzIGNvbXBhdGliaWxpdHk=?=

We have multiple 32-bit Application systems running. Does the 64bit XP or
Server 2003 supports these type of application? Were there any way in which
we could still run the applications using the 64bit?

Andre Da Costa

Depends, we don't have any idea of which applications you speak of so we
cannot make an accurate judgement if they will work or not. But most 32 bit
applications should run and work on Windows x64 just fine, some might
require updates to run properly. Please note that certain 32-bit
applications utilize 16-bit installers which is old sub system not supported
by Windows x64, so thats something to look out for. But as long as the
installer for application is 32-bit there should be no major problems.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
"32-bit executables compatibility" <32-bit executables
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> We have multiple 32-bit Application systems running. Does the 64bit XP or
> Server 2003 supports these type of application? Were there any way in
> which
> we could still run the applications using the 64bit?

Charlie Russel - MVP

The short answer is, probably. The vast majority of 32-bit applications run,
and run very well, in Windows x64 Editions. Some will not install because
they have a 16 bit installer. And some will not run because they're
dependent on a system level driver and the company hasn't ported their
driver yet to 64bit.

For a good general background on x64 and some of the issue (and their
solutions), I'd strongly suggest you start wtih the resources identified in
my x64 overview:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc.../29/77166.aspx

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

32-bit executables compatibility wrote:
> We have multiple 32-bit Application systems running. Does the 64bit XP or
> Server 2003 supports these type of application? Were there any way in
> which we could still run the applications using the 64bit?

OT How to email executables through a "protected" account default Firefox 5 11-11-2005 12:39 PM
decompiling class, jar & native executables? Sue Java 1 06-07-2005 03:14 PM
How to set VM parameter for JBuilder native executables? Kaidi Java 4 07-14-2004 05:33 AM
Executables? Devyn Perl 3 04-11-2004 01:01 PM
Retrieving executables from SQL in ASP.NET Greg ASP .Net 0 11-04-2003 04:10 PM

Advertisments