Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > from 32-bit xp pro

from 32-bit xp pro

=?Utf-8?B?Z29kbWFkZXF1YXJrc0Bob3RtYWlsLmNvbQ==?=

I participated in this exchange program:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...e/default.mspx but none of my
essential peripherals (printer/audio interface/scanner/etc) have 64-bit
drivers - and I am unable to install many essential software programs.
forgive me for not knowing that or researching this in advance - I'm
technically challenged - mentally as well. to be clear, I want my old xp pro
32-bit version back, but when I try to activate my copy with my previously
valid product key, obviously the process fails. is there a way to forfeit my
new license and revert to my old one? any guidance would be greatly
appreciated - especially if you could offer a phone number where I could
reach a MS customer service rep. I have 30 days to reactivate this new
installation. feel free to insult me if you can also offer solid help!

Andre Da Costa

Only answer for you is to purchase new license for Windows XP x86 (32-Bit).
Once you handed in the x86 license for Windows XP Professional x64, your x86
license became extinct.

You could give x64 a try by actually doing some research, great places for
drivers include the manufacturer of the devices in you PC or external ones
such as Printers, next is http://www.planetamd64.com . You should also check
out Charlie Russels: An Overview of x64 Edition to get started with the
operating system:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc.../29/77166.aspx
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I participated in this exchange program:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...e/default.mspx but none of
> my
> essential peripherals (printer/audio interface/scanner/etc) have 64-bit
> drivers - and I am unable to install many essential software programs.
> forgive me for not knowing that or researching this in advance - I'm
> technically challenged - mentally as well. to be clear, I want my old xp
> pro
> 32-bit version back, but when I try to activate my copy with my previously
> valid product key, obviously the process fails. is there a way to forfeit
> my
> new license and revert to my old one? any guidance would be greatly
> appreciated - especially if you could offer a phone number where I could
> reach a MS customer service rep. I have 30 days to reactivate this new
> installation. feel free to insult me if you can also offer solid help!

Tony Sperling

In addition to what Andre's says, let's not forget that you do have the
option to renew some of that Hardware. There certainly are good quality
printers and scanners out there at no hair-raising cost - my HP PSC 2355 do
both with excellence at roughly the cost of a new license.

If you have unsupported Hardware, I bet it's on your Motherboard. You can
exchange that, at lower cost compared to getting a new license. Unsupported
cards, like sound, or network are becoming rarer. Your situation is not
ideal - but all is not lost either.

You probably know someone as well, who would be happy to 'inherit' some of
the things that you will be discarding.

Tony. . .

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I participated in this exchange program:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...e/default.mspx but none of
> my
> essential peripherals (printer/audio interface/scanner/etc) have 64-bit
> drivers - and I am unable to install many essential software programs.
> forgive me for not knowing that or researching this in advance - I'm
> technically challenged - mentally as well. to be clear, I want my old xp
> pro
> 32-bit version back, but when I try to activate my copy with my previously
> valid product key, obviously the process fails. is there a way to forfeit
> my
> new license and revert to my old one? any guidance would be greatly
> appreciated - especially if you could offer a phone number where I could
> reach a MS customer service rep. I have 30 days to reactivate this new
> installation. feel free to insult me if you can also offer solid help!

John Barnes

Andre is correct, that you have to buy a new 32-bit license. I understand
being unable to install essential software. That is why I dual boot. Over
the last year I have replaced most of my hardware with x64 compatible, but
many software programs are just not replaceable yet. At this point, as
pointed out in Charlie's material, it is at best inefficient to spend
hundreds of dollars buying new hardware and software (even if you could find
it) when there is no benefit for the vast majority of computer users at this
time.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I participated in this exchange program:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...e/default.mspx but none of
> my
> essential peripherals (printer/audio interface/scanner/etc) have 64-bit
> drivers - and I am unable to install many essential software programs.
> forgive me for not knowing that or researching this in advance - I'm
> technically challenged - mentally as well. to be clear, I want my old xp
> pro
> 32-bit version back, but when I try to activate my copy with my previously
> valid product key, obviously the process fails. is there a way to forfeit
> my
> new license and revert to my old one? any guidance would be greatly
> appreciated - especially if you could offer a phone number where I could
> reach a MS customer service rep. I have 30 days to reactivate this new
> installation. feel free to insult me if you can also offer solid help!

=?Utf-8?B?Z29kbWFkZXF1YXJrc0Bob3RtYWlsLmNvbQ==?=

what is most disheartening about this experience, is that I have switched
from the Apple platform (I used Apple computers for 15 years) and I finally
had enough of Steve Jobs relentless babble about how Apple hardware was
superior to that of the PC market (I built my own shuttle xpc with an AMD 64
3500+ processor/2GB Corsair Platinum DDR RAM/dual serial ata drives) so for
the upgrade fee of $12 (to cover shipping the Windows x64 software to me) I
have lost a $150 OEM license for 32-bit software that I could have actually
used - but have instead acquired an OS that is not yet supported by the vital
software companies who would make it worth owning. this is my first negative
microsoft experience. if I opted to upgrade my Apple software, I'd have been
entitled to own 10.3 as well as 10.4 (all things being equal). I only own one
PC, I don't know why microsoft is this strict with their software. I'm sorry,
but surfing in 64-bit with IE isn't really that appealing. tony - I know you
were forced to assume that I didn't have current peripherals, but the fact
is, all of my internal components are supported. none of my external
peripherals are. I have just spent $500 for a new canon printer, $200 for a
canon scanner and another $1000 for a personus audio interface, so I'm not
about to seek out x64 compatible peripherals. purchasing a new OS seems to be
the most reasonable course of action. thank you all for sharing the
depressing news. I appreciate your assistance sincerely. stay well.

broken wallet,

barry

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Andre is correct, that you have to buy a new 32-bit license. I understand
> being unable to install essential software. That is why I dual boot. Over
> the last year I have replaced most of my hardware with x64 compatible, but
> many software programs are just not replaceable yet. At this point, as
> pointed out in Charlie's material, it is at best inefficient to spend
> hundreds of dollars buying new hardware and software (even if you could find
> it) when there is no benefit for the vast majority of computer users at this
> time.
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I participated in this exchange program:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...e/default.mspx but none of
> > my
> > essential peripherals (printer/audio interface/scanner/etc) have 64-bit
> > drivers - and I am unable to install many essential software programs.
> > forgive me for not knowing that or researching this in advance - I'm
> > technically challenged - mentally as well. to be clear, I want my old xp
> > pro
> > 32-bit version back, but when I try to activate my copy with my previously
> > valid product key, obviously the process fails. is there a way to forfeit
> > my
> > new license and revert to my old one? any guidance would be greatly
> > appreciated - especially if you could offer a phone number where I could
> > reach a MS customer service rep. I have 30 days to reactivate this new
> > installation. feel free to insult me if you can also offer solid help!

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

From the sound of things, you didn't do any research at all. Anybody moving
to Windows x64 should at least have a basic idea of what they are getting
into or they wouldn't rush out and get a copy in the first place. If you
upgraded your Mac, you would not have been entitled to upgrades of the Mac
OS 10.3 and 4, you still would have to shell out $258 over time to purchase
both, XP Pro x64 cost $150 and is more compatible than OS X if you take into
account the cost of migrating from Mac OS to Windows or Windows to Windows
x64. If 64 Bit IE is not working for you, why not use 32 bit IE instead? It
all goes back to research again and I will repeat myself:

> [...]

>> > drivers - and I am unable to install many essential software programs.
>> > forgive me for not knowing that or researching this in advance - I'm
>> > technically challenged - mentally as well. to be clear, I want my old
>> > xp
>> > pro
>> > 32-bit version back, but when I try to activate my copy with my
>> > previously
>> > valid product key, obviously the process fails. is there a way to
>> > forfeit
>> > my
>> > new license and revert to my old one? any guidance would be greatly
>> > appreciated - especially if you could offer a phone number where I
>> > could
>> > reach a MS customer service rep. I have 30 days to reactivate this new
>> > installation. feel free to insult me if you can also offer solid help!

=?Utf-8?B?ZGFkZGlv?=

Here's what Linksys told me about their wireless adapter:"Musheer (50086):
Hi, my name is Musheer (50086). How may I help you?
Clifford: I need
Clifford: windows xp 64bit drivers
Musheer (50086): Hi Clifford.
Clifford: XP 64bit does not recognise the wireless network adapter nor it's
setup program
Clifford: hi
Clifford: WMP54G Card
Musheer (50086): Clifford, we do not have drivers which will support 64 bit
OS.
Clifford: wow
Clifford: can you suggest something?
Musheer (50086): You can try with third party drivers, but I am not sure
whether it will work with the card or not.
Clifford: Where do I get third party?
Musheer (50086): You can search in google web site.
Clifford: ok
Clifford: thanks
Musheer (50086): Do you have any other questions that I can help you with
today?
Clifford: no."
--
Daddio

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> [...]
> > depressing news. I appreciate your assistance sincerely. stay well.
> >
> > broken wallet,
> >
> > barry
> >
> > "John Barnes" wrote:
> >
> >> Andre is correct, that you have to buy a new 32-bit license. I
> >> understand
> >> being unable to install essential software. That is why I dual boot.
> >> Over
> >> the last year I have replaced most of my hardware with x64 compatible,
> >> but
> >> many software programs are just not replaceable yet. At this point, as
> >> pointed out in Charlie's material, it is at best inefficient to spend
> >> hundreds of dollars buying new hardware and software (even if you could
> >> find
> >> it) when there is no benefit for the vast majority of computer users at

Rick

Register at www.PlanetAMD.com so you can access the download section and
then do a search on WMP54G. You will find others that have addressed
the problems of drivers for this card and some suggestions on how to go
about trying to resolve your problem.

daddio wrote:
> Here's what Linksys told me about their wireless adapter:"Musheer (50086):
> Hi, my name is Musheer (50086). How may I help you?
> Clifford: I need
> Clifford: windows xp 64bit drivers
> Musheer (50086): Hi Clifford.
> Clifford: XP 64bit does not recognise the wireless network adapter nor it's
> setup program
> Clifford: hi
> Clifford: WMP54G Card
> Musheer (50086): Clifford, we do not have drivers which will support 64 bit
> OS.
> Clifford: wow
> Clifford: can you suggest something?
> Musheer (50086): You can try with third party drivers, but I am not sure
> whether it will work with the card or not.
> Clifford: Where do I get third party?
> Musheer (50086): You can search in google web site.
> Clifford: ok
> Clifford: thanks
> Musheer (50086): Do you have any other questions that I can help you with
> today?
> Clifford: no."

Rick

According to the .INF file for the drivers this card has a BroadCom
chip. If it is not recognized in Win x64, then you should be able to
find a driver that will work. You just need to do a little leg work,
just like a detective solving a crime.

daddio wrote:
> Here's what Linksys told me about their wireless adapter:"Musheer (50086):
> Hi, my name is Musheer (50086). How may I help you?
> Clifford: I need
> Clifford: windows xp 64bit drivers
> Musheer (50086): Hi Clifford.
> Clifford: XP 64bit does not recognise the wireless network adapter nor it's
> setup program
> Clifford: hi
> Clifford: WMP54G Card
> Musheer (50086): Clifford, we do not have drivers which will support 64 bit
> OS.
> Clifford: wow
> Clifford: can you suggest something?
> Musheer (50086): You can try with third party drivers, but I am not sure
> whether it will work with the card or not.
> Clifford: Where do I get third party?
> Musheer (50086): You can search in google web site.
> Clifford: ok
> Clifford: thanks
> Musheer (50086): Do you have any other questions that I can help you with
> today?
> Clifford: no."

Rick

Here's a link to some x64 Broadcom drivers:
http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?download=746