Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > x64 and Media Center?

x64 and Media Center?

=?Utf-8?B?dGh1cGVybWFuNjQ=?=

Hi,

I'm just about to purchase a new 64-bit PC that I want to use with media
center amongst other things. I'm just wondering what's the best way to go
about it?

1. x64 with some sort of Media Center app or WMP10 or similar
2. Just get XP Media Center Edition
3. Other??

At the moment I'm thinking option 2. One, because I don't know if 2 is even
possible and, two, because it may be better to wait until more drivers are
available or even wait until Vista.

Thanks!

Charlie Russel - MVP

There is no 64-bit version of MCE - it is 32-bit only. There will be a
64-bit version with Vista, but I doubt anything before that.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

thuperman64 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just about to purchase a new 64-bit PC that I want to use with media
> center amongst other things. I'm just wondering what's the best way to go
> about it?
>
> 1. x64 with some sort of Media Center app or WMP10 or similar
> 2. Just get XP Media Center Edition
> 3. Other??
>
> At the moment I'm thinking option 2. One, because I don't know if 2 is
> even possible and, two, because it may be better to wait until more
> drivers are available or even wait until Vista.
>
> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?dGh1cGVybWFuNjQ=?=

Thanks

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> There is no 64-bit version of MCE - it is 32-bit only. There will be a
> 64-bit version with Vista, but I doubt anything before that.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> thuperman64 wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm just about to purchase a new 64-bit PC that I want to use with media
> > center amongst other things. I'm just wondering what's the best way to go
> > about it?
> >
> > 1. x64 with some sort of Media Center app or WMP10 or similar
> > 2. Just get XP Media Center Edition
> > 3. Other??
> >
> > At the moment I'm thinking option 2. One, because I don't know if 2 is
> > even possible and, two, because it may be better to wait until more
> > drivers are available or even wait until Vista.
> >
> > Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks!

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Its already is 64-bit, so is WMP 11.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

news:eMh3J$(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is no 64-bit version of MCE - it is 32-bit only. There will be a
> 64-bit version with Vista, but I doubt anything before that.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> thuperman64 wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm just about to purchase a new 64-bit PC that I want to use with media
>> center amongst other things. I'm just wondering what's the best way to
>> go
>> about it?
>>
>> 1. x64 with some sort of Media Center app or WMP10 or similar
>> 2. Just get XP Media Center Edition
>> 3. Other??
>>
>> At the moment I'm thinking option 2. One, because I don't know if 2 is
>> even possible and, two, because it may be better to wait until more
>> drivers are available or even wait until Vista.
>>
>> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks!

Charlie Russel - MVP

Never, ever, count your software till it ships! I've been down this road
before, and seen something I thought was critical pulled at the last minute.
Nor do I think we should be talking about something that many folks can't
get access to. Certainly not as a solution to a problem. When the beta is
public, then perhaps.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> Its already is 64-bit, so is WMP 11.

> news:eMh3J$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> There is no 64-bit version of MCE - it is 32-bit only. There will be a
>> 64-bit version with Vista, but I doubt anything before that.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> thuperman64 wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm just about to purchase a new 64-bit PC that I want to use with media
>>> center amongst other things. I'm just wondering what's the best way to
>>> go
>>> about it?
>>>
>>> 1. x64 with some sort of Media Center app or WMP10 or similar
>>> 2. Just get XP Media Center Edition
>>> 3. Other??
>>>
>>> At the moment I'm thinking option 2. One, because I don't know if 2 is
>>> even possible and, two, because it may be better to wait until more
>>> drivers are available or even wait until Vista.
>>>
>>> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

Andre Da Costa

There you go with those chicken analogies Charlie! :-p
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...