Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Sony DV-camera FireWire not connecting x64

Sony DV-camera FireWire not connecting x64

Niklas Engfelt

I want to transfer video. I don't care about the pictures because I
don't use that feature. I don't think there is an automatic way to
transfer the video since it is lots of data. I think you have to use at
least Windows Movie Maker or some better video applications like ULead,
Pinnacle etc. It shows up as unknown device in Windows XP (32) and in
Windows 2003 x64 it showed up once as a 61883 Class Bus Device, but now
it is not there any more. I have tried the automatic install way of the
driver and I have tried to choose the driver myself, but I cannot find
any good driver since there is not driver.

According to the Sony FAQ:
http://www.sonydigital-link.com/DIME...=gen_downloads
they say that there are no drivers for FireWire and that it should be
included in the OS. They give you a link for troubleshooting at MS:
In this KB it says that this is a Sony problem and that I should
contact Sony for a new driver.

Both are throwing pies at each other in other words. I don't think this
is my problem though since my camera is fairly new.

Niklas Engfelt

I have tried to remove all three network protocols in the 1394
connection and I have tried to disable this connection and re-enable it
again, but nothing works. The strange thing is that it says it is
connected with 400Mbps although I have the cable unplugged from the
camera, but plugged into the computer only. Even after disable and
re-enable. I don't use FireWire for other devices and this is the only
FireWire cable.

John T Maguire

On 17 Jan 2006 14:21:04 -0800, "Niklas Engfelt"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Are you using a firewire network? Of course not, so disable
it! What do you have for the IEEE 1394 Bus Host Adapter
entry in System/Device Manager?

--
John T Maguire, Kennebunkport
Mutley's Photo Diary; www.mousam-river.com/MUTLEYS/MUTLEY.HTM

Niklas Engfelt

I have never used FireWire as a network (and will probably never do it
either). Since I haven't used it I was afraid that disabling it would
disable the whole FireWire connection as well, but that is only for
network then?

I have a ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe MB which has the "Texas Instrument OHCI
Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller" in Device Manager. I have one FW
connection on the back of the computer and one on the front of the
computer and I have tried both of them with the same result

Niklas Engfelt

I have never used FireWire as a network (and will probably never do it
either). Since I haven't used it I was afraid that disabling it would
disable the whole FireWire connection as well, but that is only for
network then?

I have a ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe MB which has the "Texas Instrument OHCI
Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller" in Device Manager. I have one FW
connection on the back of the computer and one on the front of the
computer and I have tried both of them with the same result

ASAAR

On 17 Jan 2006 13:50:58 -0800, Niklas Engfelt wrote:

> Both are throwing pies at each other in other words. I don't think this
> is my problem though since my camera is fairly new.

There's a chance that it has nothing to do with a firewire
problem. This is just a guess (and one that's not too likely to be
the cause of your problem), but with my Fuji "still" camera, it
defaults as a mass storage device (DSC mode) for transferring
picture files to the computer via its USB port. But when used as a
video camera (for video conferencing) you have to use the camera's
menu to change it to WEB CAM mode. It would seem that if the
DCR-HC90E has both of those capabilities, it would default to a
video rather than to a file mode, and if so, then the DCR-HC90E
would not perform properly if it was accidentally set to a mass
storage device mode instead of its more normal video mode.

Niklas Engfelt

Thanks for the tips. I will try to change that setting. I have looked
through the menus, but nothing obvious so far, but I will look more
into it. I have tried with Windows XP(32), Windows 2003 (x64) and Vista
(x64), but only getting USB to work in bad resolution so far. USB seems
to only handle less quality and cannot control the camera. I'd like to
have the best possible resolution and be able to transfer, play, rewind
etc from the computer.

Best regards
Niklas

ASAAR wrote:
> On 17 Jan 2006 13:50:58 -0800, Niklas Engfelt wrote:
>
> > Both are throwing pies at each other in other words. I don't think this
> > is my problem though since my camera is fairly new.

> There's a chance that it has nothing to do with a firewire
> problem. This is just a guess (and one that's not too likely to be
> the cause of your problem), but with my Fuji "still" camera, it
> defaults as a mass storage device (DSC mode) for transferring
> picture files to the computer via its USB port. But when used as a
> video camera (for video conferencing) you have to use the camera's
> menu to change it to WEB CAM mode. It would seem that if the
> DCR-HC90E has both of those capabilities, it would default to a
> video rather than to a file mode, and if so, then the DCR-HC90E
> would not perform properly if it was accidentally set to a mass
> storage device mode instead of its more normal video mode.

not me

On 10 Aug 2006 15:10:47 -0700, "Niklas Engfelt" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Thanks for the tips. I will try to change that setting. I have looked
>through the menus, but nothing obvious so far, but I will look more
>into it. I have tried with Windows XP(32), Windows 2003 (x64) and Vista
>(x64), but only getting USB to work in bad resolution so far. USB seems
>to only handle less quality and cannot control the camera. I'd like to
>have the best possible resolution and be able to transfer, play, rewind
>etc from the computer.
>
>Best regards
>Niklas

Sony uses the miniplug, right? if that's the case, remember that's no
power through the Firewire bus, unlike the big plug.
You need external power. Also it's a couple the MS hotfixes for
Firewire at least for XP32, I can't say about XP64.
I don't have a Sony camera and I don't run XP64, but anyway maybe this
can help.

Niklas Engfelt

Yes. Sony uses the mini-DV-plug. I am using a standard Firewire-cable
with big plug in one of the ends and mini-plug in the other end. I have
the camera connected to the wall-plug as well for the power so that
should be fine then.

I will search for hotfixes as well on support.microsoft.com and
premier.microsoft.com Thanks for the tips.

Best regards
Niklas