Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > OEM install

OEM install

=?Utf-8?B?NHg0bWU=?=

If I have XP 64 eval and want to install the OEM will I loose any data on the
harddrive?

When I start the OEM install it asks what partition I want to put the the
new Windows on. It seems that the 64 bit eval version had to make an 8 MB
partition and the rest of the 120GB hardrive on another partition.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

If the x64 Eval has not expired, you can use the full OEM version to upgrade
it, just start it up, insert the Full OEM disk and upgrade. If it has
expired, boot off the Full OEM CD, accept the F8 License agreement, select
the drive on which you installed the Eval version and do a repair upgrade.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> If the x64 Eval has not expired, you can use the full OEM version to upgrade
> it, just start it up, insert the Full OEM disk and upgrade. If it has
> expired, boot off the Full OEM CD, accept the F8 License agreement, select
> the drive on which you installed the Eval version and do a repair upgrade.

My eval has expired. So I boot from the CD then type "R" for Repair then
it gives me :

1: C:\Windows

"Which Windows installation would you like to log into?"

I press 1 then it asks for the administrator password. I have never entered
an administrator password. So I hit enter then it it gives me the C:/Windows
prompt. Does this seem right?

pressing R for repair should NOT give me a DOS prompt...

John Barnes

R for repair at that point gets you into the Recovery Console. You need the
other choice and as Andre said, you will get the F8 for accepting the
license, then the repair you need to finish your install.

"John Barnes" wrote:

> R for repair at that point gets you into the Recovery Console. You need the
> other choice and as Andre said, you will get the F8 for accepting the
> license, then the repair you need to finish your install.

Other choice meaning the "ESC=Don't Repair" installing a "fresh copy of
Windows" route...

Ok just trying to not loose my pictutures on the harddrive.

Colin Barnhorst

You are looking for the "r" that follows the choice to "Install Windows."

"4x4me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> R for repair at that point gets you into the Recovery Console. You need
>> the
>> other choice and as Andre said, you will get the F8 for accepting the
>> license, then the repair you need to finish your install.
>>

> Other choice meaning the "ESC=Don't Repair" installing a "fresh copy of
> Windows" route...
>
> Ok just trying to not loose my pictutures on the harddrive.

=?Utf-8?B?NHg0bWU=?=

Ok I got the OEM successfully installed and my pictures are still there...
WHEW !!!

Thank you all so much for your help.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> You are looking for the "r" that follows the choice to "Install Windows."
>
> "4x4me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >

> > "John Barnes" wrote:
> >
> >> R for repair at that point gets you into the Recovery Console. You need
> >> the
> >> other choice and as Andre said, you will get the F8 for accepting the
> >> license, then the repair you need to finish your install.
> >>

> > Other choice meaning the "ESC=Don't Repair" installing a "fresh copy of
> > Windows" route...
> >
> > Ok just trying to not loose my pictutures on the harddrive.

Colin Barnhorst

You're welcome.