Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Can't Write to CD/DVD

Can't Write to CD/DVD

=?Utf-8?B?SmVycnkgRw==?=

I've got XinXP x64 running on an Asus A8V with a Plextor PX-716AL DVD/CD
burner connected to one of the motherboard's internal IDE channels.

I can read CDs and DVDs just fine, but when I try to use XP's built-in CD
writing capabilities ("Write these files to CD"), the CD Writing Wizard
always complains "There is no disc in the drive." I've tried several
different brands of blank CDs and DVDs, but same problem every time. It's
almost as if XP thinks it's a CD-ROM drive instead of a burner. (In fact, the
icon for the drive in Explorer is labeled "DVD-R".)

Is there a fix for this?

Rick

Do you have a problem trying to write to both CD or DVD?

I know that Win x64 does not have built in capability to write to DVD,
but I'm pretty sure it should write to CD.

I always use 3rd party software, so I have never encountered a problem
writing to either CD or DVD.

Jerry G wrote:
> I've got XinXP x64 running on an Asus A8V with a Plextor PX-716AL DVD/CD
> burner connected to one of the motherboard's internal IDE channels.
>
> I can read CDs and DVDs just fine, but when I try to use XP's built-in CD
> writing capabilities ("Write these files to CD"), the CD Writing Wizard
> always complains "There is no disc in the drive." I've tried several
> different brands of blank CDs and DVDs, but same problem every time. It's
> almost as if XP thinks it's a CD-ROM drive instead of a burner. (In fact, the
> icon for the drive in Explorer is labeled "DVD-R".)
>
> Is there a fix for this?

Andre Da Costa

How to troubleshoot issues that occur when you write data to a CD-R or CD-RW
optical disc in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/Default...b;en-us;324129
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
"Jerry G" <Jerry http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got XinXP x64 running on an Asus A8V with a Plextor PX-716AL DVD/CD
> burner connected to one of the motherboard's internal IDE channels.
>
> I can read CDs and DVDs just fine, but when I try to use XP's built-in CD
> writing capabilities ("Write these files to CD"), the CD Writing Wizard
> always complains "There is no disc in the drive." I've tried several
> different brands of blank CDs and DVDs, but same problem every time. It's
> almost as if XP thinks it's a CD-ROM drive instead of a burner. (In fact,
> the
> icon for the drive in Explorer is labeled "DVD-R".)
>
> Is there a fix for this?

=?Utf-8?B?SmVycnkgRw==?=

> How to troubleshoot issues that occur when you write data to a CD-R or CD-RW
> optical disc in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/Default...b;en-us;324129

I looked at this info, but it doesn't help. My system does think the drive
is writeable because it does have the "Recording" tab on the devices's
property page. The "Enable CD recording on this drive" box is checked.

The registry entries look normal: Drive Type is 2 (which indicates a CD-RW
device, MaxCDWriteSpeed is 48. The only one that looks bogus is
CurrentCDWriteSpeed, which is set to 0xffffffff.

Nero Ultra 7 has no problems writing to this drive, either on CD-Rs or
DVD+/-Rs, so it's strictly a WinXP x64 issue, not a hardware issue.
Unfortunately, iTunes appears to use the Windows CD writing code, so it can't
write to this drive either.

Colin Barnhorst

Some CD/DVD rewriters are not compatible with the Windows cd burner
software. On my XP Pro SP2 box the CD/DVD R/RW drives cannot burn a data
cd. Microsoft PSS told me about a year ago that I could not use the Windows
software with the drives to burn cd's even though they work fine under Roxio
for burning both cd's and dvd's. Apparently the firmware that supports dvd
writing is involved. You would think that you could at least burn cd's, but
such is not the case.

I thought that this was fixed in x64 (mine works) as it is in Vista, but
some drives might still not work.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do you have a problem trying to write to both CD or DVD?
>
> I know that Win x64 does not have built in capability to write to DVD, but
> I'm pretty sure it should write to CD.
>
> I always use 3rd party software, so I have never encountered a problem
> writing to either CD or DVD.
>

> Jerry G wrote:
>> I've got XinXP x64 running on an Asus A8V with a Plextor PX-716AL DVD/CD
>> burner connected to one of the motherboard's internal IDE channels.
>>
>> I can read CDs and DVDs just fine, but when I try to use XP's built-in CD
>> writing capabilities ("Write these files to CD"), the CD Writing Wizard
>> always complains "There is no disc in the drive." I've tried several
>> different brands of blank CDs and DVDs, but same problem every time. It's
>> almost as if XP thinks it's a CD-ROM drive instead of a burner. (In fact,
>> the icon for the drive in Explorer is labeled "DVD-R".)
>>
>> Is there a fix for this?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

That is strange, I will continue to search around and if I find anything, I
will post an update, in the mean time, I would go ahead and continue using
NERO 7. Sorry I couldn't be of much help.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Jerry G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How to troubleshoot issues that occur when you write data to a CD-R or
>> CD-RW
>> optical disc in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/Default...b;en-us;324129

> I looked at this info, but it doesn't help. My system does think the drive
> is writeable because it does have the "Recording" tab on the devices's
> property page. The "Enable CD recording on this drive" box is checked.
>
> The registry entries look normal: Drive Type is 2 (which indicates a CD-RW
> device, MaxCDWriteSpeed is 48. The only one that looks bogus is
> CurrentCDWriteSpeed, which is set to 0xffffffff.
>
> Nero Ultra 7 has no problems writing to this drive, either on CD-Rs or
> DVD+/-Rs, so it's strictly a WinXP x64 issue, not a hardware issue.
> Unfortunately, iTunes appears to use the Windows CD writing code, so it
> can't
> write to this drive either.

Colin Barnhorst

Some cd/dvd rw drives (all-in-one) will not burn cd's with the Windows
software. These are not the cd/rw dvd/r combo drives which do work. On XP
x86 the all-in-one drives don't work at all.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...