Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Need old files!!!

Need old files!!!

=?Utf-8?B?dHBtb25leQ==?=

I installed the 64bit trial and thought the old programs like picture it
would carry over. i had alot of meaningful pictures and now i cant find them.
is there anyway to get them back??? pleaser help me out

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

The 64 bit trial is a Clean Installation only, there is no upgrade option.
If you are now dual booting, boot to the original OS to read the data.
If you performed a Clean Installation, you probably formatted the partition.
If that is the case, you will need to restore your missing data from your
back-ups.

Or there may be options here:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/datrec.htm
Some are expensive, depending on exactly what you did.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"tpmoney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I installed the 64bit trial and thought the old programs like picture it
> would carry over. i had alot of meaningful pictures and now i cant find
> them.
> is there anyway to get them back??? pleaser help me out

Andre Da Costa

Uh, Windows XP Professional x64 is a clean install, so that means you would
have to back up any data first then restore the and reinstall the
application associated with files. Which version of Picture It! are you
using? I know that the latest version 10 works on x64, might wanna shell out
cash on a new copy just to stay compatible or return back XP x86 if you
really find those memories really valuable. But did you back up before you
installed x64, was it on a raw disk or a partition? If you booted off the
x64 disk with an existing version of Windows on the drive, your memories
just went out the Windows - s.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
"tpmoney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I installed the 64bit trial and thought the old programs like picture it
> would carry over. i had alot of meaningful pictures and now i cant find
> them.
> is there anyway to get them back??? pleaser help me out

John Barnes

The older versions of Picture-it work too. I have 2001. This is just a case
of someone having no clue.

"Andre Da Costa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u5m$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Uh, Windows XP Professional x64 is a clean install, so that means you
> would have to back up any data first then restore the and reinstall the
> application associated with files. Which version of Picture It! are you
> using? I know that the latest version 10 works on x64, might wanna shell
> out cash on a new copy just to stay compatible or return back XP x86 if
> you really find those memories really valuable. But did you back up before
> you installed x64, was it on a raw disk or a partition? If you booted off
> the x64 disk with an existing version of Windows on the drive, your
> memories just went out the Windows - s.
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> "tpmoney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I installed the 64bit trial and thought the old programs like picture it
>> would carry over. i had alot of meaningful pictures and now i cant find
>> them.
>> is there anyway to get them back??? pleaser help me out

Randy

There is a very slight chance, if when doing the fresh install of x64, you
set up your hard drive exactly as it was before (same # and size partitions
in same arrangement, nothing fancy, and same file system), and haven't over
written all the data space (for example, with a full format or disk scrub
util), especially if you previously used a recovery or disk management util
(such as migh place all user-created data at the outside of the disk), that
you could do an unformat and undelete to recover at least some of your
data... if it's so critical as to warrant such work. You can google for
such utils online... I previously had good luck with Norton utils prior to
going to NTSF and >8G hard drives, but it doesn't handle larger partitions
or NTFS so well. You may need to re-format in the *previous* file system
before you can unformat (again) and start looking for files... Now there are
shareware standalone utils that manage the entire task on their own. I
haven't had much success with them though.

Backups (and reading manuals ahead of implementing new work) is almost
always your best bet... good luck.

"tpmoney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I installed the 64bit trial and thought the old programs like picture it
> would carry over. i had alot of meaningful pictures and now i cant find

them.
> is there anyway to get them back??? pleaser help me out

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Right on!
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The older versions of Picture-it work too. I have 2001. This is just a
> case of someone having no clue.
>

> "Andre Da Costa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:u5m$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Uh, Windows XP Professional x64 is a clean install, so that means you
>> would have to back up any data first then restore the and reinstall the
>> application associated with files. Which version of Picture It! are you
>> using? I know that the latest version 10 works on x64, might wanna shell
>> out cash on a new copy just to stay compatible or return back XP x86 if
>> you really find those memories really valuable. But did you back up
>> before you installed x64, was it on a raw disk or a partition? If you
>> booted off the x64 disk with an existing version of Windows on the drive,
>> your memories just went out the Windows - s.
>> --
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>> "tpmoney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I installed the 64bit trial and thought the old programs like picture it
>>> would carry over. i had alot of meaningful pictures and now i cant find
>>> them.
>>> is there anyway to get them back??? pleaser help me out

coal_brona@hotmail.com

If the files were erased from your HDD, your chance to bring them back
is to use Active@ Undelete or Uneraser (for pure DOS) data recovery
tools. They are really powerful and helped me before much. You should
definately try it out.

http://www.active-undelete.com/

http://www.uneraser.com/

new hard disk on old, old pc Deano Computer Support 5 10-21-2005 12:32 PM
old printer and old WP in Windows XP? lu Computer Support 6 01-14-2005 02:18 PM
WTB: Old 8mm or old photo cameras Apkesh Digital Photography 1 12-24-2003 08:57 PM
Old Mountain... Old Machines... Seymore Digital Photography 1 12-03-2003 04:25 AM
old sony fd91 finally dying - old age? lefty Digital Photography 5 10-26-2003 05:53 PM

Advertisments