Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Website remembered passwords

Website remembered passwords

=?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=

I have a couple of websites with the ID and password memorized. I would like
to remove it but can't find a way to. How do I remove them in XP-64?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

To disable password saving in Internet Explorer on Windows:
* Launch Internet Explorer.
* Select Tools>Internet Options>Content.
* Under Personal information, click on AutoComplete.
* To stop password saving, uncheck "User names and passwords on forms".
* To clear all existing saved usernames and passwords, click on Clear
Passwords, then click OK in the warning dialog box.

Note: You may have web sites for which you wish to save the username and
password, but you do not want Internet Explorer to prompt you on any future
sites. In this case, in the AutoComplete Settings box, leave "User names and
passwords on forms" checked, but uncheck "Prompt me to save passwords".
http://itinfo.mit.edu/article.php?id=6707
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Lefty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a couple of websites with the ID and password memorized. I would
>like
> to remove it but can't find a way to. How do I remove them in XP-64?

John Barnes

In IE tools/internet options/content/autocomplete You can clear passwords
there

"Lefty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a couple of websites with the ID and password memorized. I would
>like
> to remove it but can't find a way to. How do I remove them in XP-64?

=?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=

Thank you

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> To disable password saving in Internet Explorer on Windows:
> * Launch Internet Explorer.
> * Select Tools>Internet Options>Content.
> * Under Personal information, click on AutoComplete.
> * To stop password saving, uncheck "User names and passwords on forms".
> * To clear all existing saved usernames and passwords, click on Clear
> Passwords, then click OK in the warning dialog box.
>
> Note: You may have web sites for which you wish to save the username and
> password, but you do not want Internet Explorer to prompt you on any future
> sites. In this case, in the AutoComplete Settings box, leave "User names and
> passwords on forms" checked, but uncheck "Prompt me to save passwords".
> http://itinfo.mit.edu/article.php?id=6707
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Lefty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a couple of websites with the ID and password memorized. I would
> >like
> > to remove it but can't find a way to. How do I remove them in XP-64?

Rick

I don't have a solution to your question, but I think it is a very good
question. I can find the info to delete all saved passwords, but not
individual ones.

I hope someone is able to provide a solution.

Lefty wrote:
> I have a couple of websites with the ID and password memorized. I would like
> to remove it but can't find a way to. How do I remove them in XP-64?

=?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=

Rick,
That's actually what I wanted to do. But I cleared all passwords and will
re-enter the ones I want to keep. I was able to remove individual passwords
in xp pro but can't remember how I did it. I think I had to do it in the
registry.

"Rick" wrote:

> I don't have a solution to your question, but I think it is a very good
> question. I can find the info to delete all saved passwords, but not
> individual ones.
>
> I hope someone is able to provide a solution.
>

> Lefty wrote:
> > I have a couple of websites with the ID and password memorized. I would like
> > to remove it but can't find a way to. How do I remove them in XP-64?

John Barnes

If you delete the ID, it will delete the password associated with it, after
asking. Then you can re-add and tell it not to save the password.

news:uAf$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I don't have a solution to your question, but I think it is a very good
>question. I can find the info to delete all saved passwords, but not
>individual ones.
>
> I hope someone is able to provide a solution.
>

> Lefty wrote:
>> I have a couple of websites with the ID and password memorized. I would
>> like to remove it but can't find a way to. How do I remove them in XP-64?

=?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=

Hello John,
When I go to the web page and select the ID, then delete it, I don't receive
any prompts asking what I want to do. When I close the page and go back to it
the ID and password is still there. Am I doing it wrong?

"John Barnes" wrote:

> If you delete the ID, it will delete the password associated with it, after
> asking. Then you can re-add and tell it not to save the password.

> news:uAf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I don't have a solution to your question, but I think it is a very good
> >question. I can find the info to delete all saved passwords, but not
> >individual ones.
> >
> > I hope someone is able to provide a solution.
> >

> > Lefty wrote:
> >> I have a couple of websites with the ID and password memorized. I would
> >> like to remove it but can't find a way to. How do I remove them in XP-64?

John Barnes

When you go to the id field, with the field blank, hit the page down key,
highlight the id to delete, when you hit the delete key it should say that
Windows has a password stored for this id, do you want to delete the id and
password. You may have to restore the autocomplete. Also, didn't you say
that you had already deleted all your passwords.

"Lefty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello John,
> When I go to the web page and select the ID, then delete it, I don't
> receive
> any prompts asking what I want to do. When I close the page and go back to
> it
> the ID and password is still there. Am I doing it wrong?
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> If you delete the ID, it will delete the password associated with it,
>> after
>> asking. Then you can re-add and tell it not to save the password.
>>

>> "Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:uAf$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I don't have a solution to your question, but I think it is a very good
>> >question. I can find the info to delete all saved passwords, but not
>> >individual ones.
>> >
>> > I hope someone is able to provide a solution.

Rick

This should get you in the right area to delete all passwords:

Subject: Windows IE 6/5.5 - Deleting Saved Passwords

Deleting Internet Explorer Saved Passwords

It can be insecure for Internet Explorer to save your passwords.

To delete (or change) stored passwords...

Internet Explorer versions 5.5 and 6.0

1. click on the 'Tools' menu, then 'Internet Options' option.
2. click on the 'Content' tab.
3. click on the 'AutoComplete' button - see new dialog.
4. click on the 'Clear Passwords' option.
Optionally, to stop this Internet Explorer from saving passwords again
you can:
- ensure the 'Prompt me to save passwords' is NOT selected.
5. click OK then click OK again.