Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Fingerprint Reader

Fingerprint Reader

=?Utf-8?B?T3Jpb25zVG95?=

I just perchaced a Microsoft Fingerprint reader and most likely planning on
getting my money back because there is no drivers available for x64. Does
anyone know if Microsoft is planning on supplying drivers for its products to
run in xp 64 or are they just making an operating system and not bothering to
make their hardware work with it? I have noticed that one or two keyboards
and mice have drivers (most do not list drivers including their "latest"
products. To me this makes no sense. How can a company release an operating
system that is incompattable with their own hardware?

If microsoft is planning on releasing drivers in the very near future I may
keep this Fingerprint Reader to see how it works.... but ... I only have
about 15 more days before I will loose my money... so if someone knows there
will be a driver available within 15 days ... let me know and I will keep
this thing ... if not ... I will get rid of it and stay away from Microsoft
Hardware since most other companies are actually making drivers for the x64
system even if the maker of the OS isnt.

Jud Hendrix

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 10:51:02 -0800, OrionsToy
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Looks like you have to wait for Vista to appear.
Bill Gates demonstrated it this week, and pointed
out the fingerprint reading technology for added
security.

jud (just guessing, but it might come true)

Andre Da Costa

You mean in the demo with that awesome display? If so that was concept from
future which should happen in the next 4 to 5 years, Windows Vista is going
to released in the second half of 2006.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
"Jud Hendrix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 10:51:02 -0800, OrionsToy
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> Looks like you have to wait for Vista to appear.
> Bill Gates demonstrated it this week, and pointed
> out the fingerprint reading technology for added
> security.
>
> jud (just guessing, but it might come true)

=?Utf-8?B?T3Jpb25zVG95?=

Thanks for the info.... I guess I will return this sensor and wait. I'm sure
that by the time Microsoft gets off their butt and starts producing drivers
that my other fingerprint sensor will already have a driver and I wont have
to worry about Microsoft's poor support.

"Andre Da Costa" wrote:

> You mean in the demo with that awesome display? If so that was concept from
> future which should happen in the next 4 to 5 years, Windows Vista is going
> to released in the second half of 2006.
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> "Jud Hendrix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 10:51:02 -0800, OrionsToy
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > Looks like you have to wait for Vista to appear.
> > Bill Gates demonstrated it this week, and pointed
> > out the fingerprint reading technology for added
> > security.
> >
> > jud (just guessing, but it might come true)

Jud Hendrix

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 12:25:58 -0800, "Andre Da Costa" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>You mean in the demo with that awesome display?

Yes, that's the one. That was nice eh? I liked the
one with the table as well. Just found the thing with
using a camera to scan in a business-card a bit
low-tech. By that time it should have becoem common
to exchange them via IR/Bluetooth (just like on
a Palm nowadays).

> If so that was concept from
>future which should happen in the next 4 to 5 years,

Oh, was it? I switched on just a bit too late I guess
(on CNN), and thought he was talking about Vista.
My bad.

>Windows Vista is going
>to released in the second half of 2006.

Well, let's hope for the OP (and all the others who
have been asking here for them already), Vista will
include them.

jud

Andre Da Costa

Well, let's hope for the OP (and all the others who
have been asking here for them already), Vista will
include them.

Definitely, a pretty interface isn't everything, Vista x64 stable but driver
wise, its miserable. I do hope Microsoft and Industry partners focus on
driver development strive to be parallel in support on x64 Vista as the x86
counterpart.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
"Jud Hendrix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 12:25:58 -0800, "Andre Da Costa" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>You mean in the demo with that awesome display?

> Yes, that's the one. That was nice eh? I liked the
> one with the table as well. Just found the thing with
> using a camera to scan in a business-card a bit
> low-tech. By that time it should have becoem common
> to exchange them via IR/Bluetooth (just like on
> a Palm nowadays).
>
>> If so that was concept from
>>future which should happen in the next 4 to 5 years,

> Oh, was it? I switched on just a bit too late I guess
> (on CNN), and thought he was talking about Vista.
> My bad.
>
>>Windows Vista is going
>>to released in the second half of 2006.

> Well, let's hope for the OP (and all the others who
> have been asking here for them already), Vista will
> include them.
>
> jud

Randy

MS didn't really release (OEM) XP Pro x64 as a consumer OS... it's really
not even meant for typical business use (although Server 2003 x64 comes
closer I guess). It's really kind of a measuring tool to see how to steer
Vista for its eventual release as a *retail* product for the general public
next year. At least that's my take on it. It's why they made it available in
free, 4- and 6-month trial versions. As such, I think it's *very*
worthwhile.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...