Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > do not buy OEM version if you wish to upgrade processor !

do not buy OEM version if you wish to upgrade processor !

Arthur Rosene

i read in this newsgroup that dual core cpus counted as a single cpu so i
thought my christmas present wouldn't present a difficulty with my product
key and OEM version but it gave a different hardware hash and microsoft
says tough buy a new one. *sigh*

=?Utf-8?B?RXJuc3Q=?=

did you try repair/reactivation?

"Arthur Rosene" wrote:

> i read in this newsgroup that dual core cpus counted as a single cpu so i
> thought my christmas present wouldn't present a difficulty with my product
> key and OEM version but it gave a different hardware hash and microsoft
> says tough buy a new one. *sigh*

John Hollingsworth

(Arthur Rosene) wrote:

> *From:* Arthur Rosene <(E-Mail Removed)>
> *Date:* Fri, 06 Jan 2006 23:15:15 -0800
>
> i read in this newsgroup that dual core cpus counted as a single cpu
> so i thought my christmas present wouldn't present a difficulty with
> my product key and OEM version but it gave a different hardware hash
> and microsoft says tough buy a new one. *sigh*

I've just replaced a 3500+ with the x2 4400+ and was not asked to
reactivate on a PC with OEM OS.

John

Please remove "NOSPAM" if sending email.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Arthur;
Is that what the tech said on the phone?
Try again.
Be careful what you say and do not offer additional information.
Some people are misunderstood and activation is refused.
Upgrading a processor is not a different computer so you will be able to
activate.
Do NOT purchase Windows again for this issue.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Arthur Rosene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>i read in this newsgroup that dual core cpus counted as a single cpu so i
> thought my christmas present wouldn't present a difficulty with my product
> key and OEM version but it gave a different hardware hash and microsoft
> says tough buy a new one. *sigh*

Rick

You don't have a choice with Win x64 - the only version available is
OEM. Microsoft does not offer a Retail version of Win x64.