Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > where is bottom line cheapest place to purchase retail x64 ?

where is bottom line cheapest place to purchase retail x64 ?

Arthur Rosene

where is bottom line cheapest place to purchase retail x64 ?

also when will the next service pack be integrated into the next microsoft
pressing/release to purchase ?

thank you

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Arthur;
Service Pack is not even scheduled at this point:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lif...vicepacks.mspx
Microsoft seems to be on a two year cycle for Service Packs so you may have
about 18 months to go.
Check that link periodically for Service Pack information as it becomes
available.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Arthur Rosene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> where is bottom line cheapest place to purchase retail x64 ?
>
> also when will the next service pack be integrated into the next microsoft
> pressing/release to purchase ?
>
> thank you

Andre Da Costa

Check the following online retailers to see which has the lowest price:
www.ncix.com
www.directron.com
www.newegg.com
www.zipzoomfly.com
www.planetamd64.com
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
"Arthur Rosene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> where is bottom line cheapest place to purchase retail x64 ?
>
> also when will the next service pack be integrated into the next microsoft
> pressing/release to purchase ?
>
> thank you

John Barnes

Vista will most likely be out before there is any thought of a Service Pack
for x64.

"Arthur Rosene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> where is bottom line cheapest place to purchase retail x64 ?
>
> also when will the next service pack be integrated into the next microsoft
> pressing/release to purchase ?
>
> thank you

J. Eric Durbin

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 05:25:02 -0800, "Andre Da Costa"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Check the following online retailers to see which has the lowest price:
>www.ncix.com
>www.directron.com
>www.newegg.com
>www.zipzoomfly.com
>www.planetamd64.com

Let me throw in a plug for

http://www.ewiz.com

They have consistently had the lowest price on several items including
the OEM XP Pro x64 (~USD130). They are in CA so CA residents will pay
tax. Shipping is reasonable. I have found however, that ewiz, like
some other vendors, lists the same item at different prices based on
how you search for it i.e directly from the ewiz website (usually the
highesat price) or from Froogle or Pricewatch (lower). So do a little
reseach and save a few bucks.

Note: I noticed on a recent search that Froogle and Pricewatch list
vendors who claim to have x64 available as a download for ~USD 85 to
120. I spoke to Microsoft's Piracy hotline and they confirm that x84
is never legitimately available as a download. OEM with hardware
purchase only. Caveat emptor.

Andre Da Costa

Windows XP Professional x64s Service Packs are on schedule with the Windows
Server 2003 Service Packs, when they get updated, x64 will get updated too,
simply because x64 is based on Server 2003 SP1 code base.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
"Arthur Rosene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> where is bottom line cheapest place to purchase retail x64 ?
>
> also when will the next service pack be integrated into the next microsoft
> pressing/release to purchase ?
>
> thank you

John Barnes

As stated no downloads (how do you download the hardware requirement anyway)
and also any vendor that doesn't require the hardware purchase (though, you
will find the ones Andre suggests may include the hardware and show it as
free (included) on the purchase page)

news:(E-Mail Removed)...